Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ward, Boyd, Cross and Giansiracusa still unsigned

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Cross is pretty much Luke Ball with a lower media profile but a better overhead mark -- every 'young' team looking to get a hard head in to help out will not be missing out on another Luke Ball after seeing how well he's done at Collingwood.

As WE would be that 'young team' in the next couple of years we shouldn't be undervaluing a seasoned body and a contributor of his quality. If Libba and Wallis become good enough they'll push him out naturally, but we shouldn't be losing Crossy from our list prematurely.
    When Cross and Boyd are ready to retire, Wallis and Libba will be primed to take over. They will not be taking over next year as 19 year olds.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd be going for 2 years deals for Giansiracusa and Cross but a 3 year deal for Boyd.
    2 years for Gia and 3 for boyd...
    I just can't agree on Gia. Classy, but not irreplacable. 1 year.
    Boyd, yeah maybe 3. Prefer 2.
    Cross, don't agree. 1 year max.
    We are just too slow as a team.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When Cross and Boyd are ready to retire, Wallis and Libba will be primed to take over. They will not be taking over next year as 19 year olds.
    No-one has said that will be taking over next year, just that we have to be cautious with our older players so that we aren't in the position we are now with Gilbee & Hargrave in a few years time.

As Ozza stated if their form is good enough they will be around for a while yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If you were the player or the club?
    I was going more from the players perspective. I think Boyd deserves 3 but I'd have a discount in the 3rd season. Cross for 2 seems right to me but I could understand if the club wanted to offer year by year deals to Giansiracusa.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We got 4 good years out of Hudson because the Coneheads, acting on their principles, refused to give him a three year deal.

I'm with GVGJr on this.

Post Thanks / Like

who are the coneheads? crows?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    who are the coneheads? crows?
    Yep.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

The obvious thing to do is give them the extra year if they meet performance triggers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The obvious thing to do is give them the extra year if they meet performance triggers.
    Such as?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Such as?
    - games played
    - best and fairest votes
    - any meaningful stats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    - games played
    - best and fairest votes
    - any meaningful stats
    Great idea
    A clause in Boyd's contract that states
    must do a lap of the ground with pants at ankles
    if not accountable for his direct opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

3 blokes (captain included) who polarise supporter opinion of their real worth. All have glaring weaknesses (pace, disposal, defensive intent...). I'd personally be staying cautious with the contracts given the replacements we have for these blokes. 1,1,2 years for Gia, Cross, Boyd respectively.

I know Boyd is captain, but he's felt to me like a stop gap until a young gun steps up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    3 blokes (captain included) who polarise supporter opinion of their real worth. All have glaring weaknesses (pace, disposal, defensive intent...). I'd personally be staying cautious with the contracts given the replacements we have for these blokes. 1,1,2 years for Gia, Cross, Boyd respectively.

I know Boyd is captain, but he's felt to me like a stop gap until a young gun steps up.
    What replacements?

I know that Wallis and Liberatore are destined to be champions of the club and inducted as Legends into the AFL HOF, but can we wait and see whether or not they can actually compete successfully at senior level before ordaining them as replacements for two of the key cogs in the most successful Bulldogs side I can remember?

Their is no guarantee that one of them will make it - for both of them to play 100+ games would be a massive achievement.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What replacements?

I know that Wallis and Liberatore are destined to be champions of the club and inducted as Legends into the AFL HOF, but can we wait and see whether or not they can actually compete successfully at senior level before ordaining them as replacements for two of the key cogs in the most successful Bulldogs side I can remember?

Their is no guarantee that one of them will make it - for both of them to play 100+ games would be a massive achievement.
    We did get a bit too excited at the start of the season, didn't we?
    It was like ' oh Wallis is much further ahead of Libba' and didn't turn out that way at all.
    Expectations seldom meet reality

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What replacements?

Took the words right out of my mouth (or head as it were). Talk about going early. Wallis is so far from established that it's not funny, and Libba while being really good for a first year player is still only a kid and anything can happen (anyone else remember Everitt's first year).