Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

So when should a coach go?

I have heard a lot of talk of this nature:

They sacked the coach as he is the scapegoat, it's the players who are at fault (or the injury list or whatever)
    Mick Malthouse said there's a bullet flying around with every coaches name on it. Then there's an article by Leigh Mathews here http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx that states:

The justification and reasoning for terminating a very successful coach after one down year defies logic - unless the Bulldogs have the misguided view that a genius super coach will come knocking on the door.
    I am not sure if the are any AFL coaches on the forum, but if there are, I'd like to ask when is it justifiable to sack the coach? What does he have to do for it to be obvious he needs to be replaced? Can names and incidents be named pleased, I am confused on this one.

Note the weird logic, if this argument is correct and the coach is not as important as we think then perhaps it doesn't matter if you replace him either!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So when should a coach go?

Firstly, A lot of the anger is to do with the lack of reasoning given for the sacking. 'Time for a change' just doesn't cut it when you are dismissing a coach of Rocket's ability and knowledge.

Secondly, a glance at our named backline for last Sunday's game says a lot about where we are at this year. We've had a Brownlow medallist and an All Australian fullback at nowhere near their peaks due to injury, and an All Australian Full Forward on his last legs. We've also played our entire senior list bar one player, due mostly to not being able to put players on the park.

It is justifiable to sack a coach when they have had a considerable period of time and there is no significant improvement and no sign of further improvement on the horizon, like Dean Bailey. Its also justifiable when a team has gone backwards to a point where its unlikely that said coach will be able to turn the fate of the team around. Neil Craig a case in point.

I sincerely hope that Smorgon doesn't honestly believe that next year will be about 'refreshing'. We will have a new coach at the club, we'll have no top-line ruckman or key forward, and there is a massive, massive question mark on one of the best defenders the club has ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, A lot of the anger is to do with the lack of reasoning given for the sacking
    I don't think Smorgan could really come out and give reasons. It would reflect very badly on the club. Imagine this:

Today we sacked Rodney because the senior player group said he had got the forward press wrong and it had cost us games. This was reiterated by Paul Williams when I talked to him etc etc
    That would start arguments and help no one. It would also embarrass the individuals named. You really have to do it the way it was done to be professional. If you go to a family day or Bulldogs function and ask questions privately, you will get answers though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    I don't think Smorgan could really come out and give reasons. It would reflect very badly on the club. Imagine this:

That would start arguments and help no one. It would also embarrass the individuals named. You really have to do it the way it was done to be professional. If you go to a family day or Bulldogs function and ask questions privately, you will get answers though.
    I don't think Smorgo would spill the beans on that particular topic.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

If you prod, people give clues. Ask the players, the coaches, you will be able to put 1 and 1 together. Terry Wallace let me onto a few things he wouldn't say in the media, people open up when its not so formal.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not Rocket science(bad pun sorry) as far as footy goes. He had seven years and we were worse in 2010 than in 2009 and worse in 2011 than in 2010. We were going backwards so to speak. Do you follow that path or do you change course? Only time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Smorgon is basically saying we need a change!
    Subscribing to the Matthews theory Pagan would still be at Carlton, Malthouse would be coaching The Pies for an eternity, Barassi would be coaching Somewhere. Personally with the likelihood of Ward going it's going to be interesting to see what they do with the picks? I think after a period of time the message doesn't resonate with the players and a change is necessary( Hello Chris Scott)! Interesting times coming just hoping we use the draft and "refresh" our list .Rocket did a great job, but let's now look to the future.

Post Thanks / Like

How about this instead:

We were initially committed to an extensive process to evaluate Rodney's position. Through his manager, Rodney indicated that he was after some level of certainty as to whether he'd be at the club next year. When you consider there will be a number of coaching vacancies next year, its understandable that Rodney would want an answer from the club sooner rather than later.

Therefore, Rodney was given an opportunity earlier in the week, to present to the club's board his vision as to where he beleived he could take the club. The board considered what Rodney presneted to us, and the board voted made the decision that Rodney was not the man to take us forward.

Rodney has been a wonderful servant for the club. From the position the club was in, the results he was able to achieve in his tenure were outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    How about this instead:

We were initially committed to an extensive process to evaluate Rodney's position. Through his manager, Rodney indicated that he was after some level of certainty as to whether he'd be at the club next year. When you consider there will be a number of coaching vacancies next year, its understandable that Rodney would want an answer from the club sooner rather than later.

Therefore, Rodney was given an opportunity earlier in the week, to present to the club's board his vision as to where he beleived he could take the club. The board considered what Rodney presneted to us, and the board voted made the decision that Rodney was not the man to take us forward.

Rodney has been a wonderful servant for the club. From the position the club was in, the results he was able to achieve in his tenure were outstanding.
    Sounds fair and reasonable really. Still, I miss the rocket.
    Moving forward.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    How about this instead:

That response really says nothing which is what Smorgo said.
    It's hard to say something without being damaging.

Post Thanks / Like

That response really says nothing which is what Smorgo said.
    It's hard to say something without being damaging.
    It says plenty.

Rocket presented a vision, the board didn't share it.

Works a hell of a lot better than 'it was time for a change'.

Dismissal of a coach is not a way to 'refresh' a club. It means starting again.

Post Thanks / Like

In answer to the question a coach goes when the players stop responding.
    Bring back the biff