Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Game Day - Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

This is the discussion thread for todays game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go for Grant

Who will be given the job on Petrie and Harvey?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day - Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

Sam Power on Harvey in his new tagging role. Surely Petrie won't have another day out against us? Who played on him last time?

Our first goal to Gia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsBulldog View Post
    Sam Power on Harvey in his new tagging role. Surely Petrie won't have another day out against us? Who played on him last time?

Our first goal to Gia.
    The first quarter on Petrie last time was a combo of Harris, Williams and the two of them looking at Petrie marking on his own, looking at each other, pointing and looking confused.
    (Kicked most of the first quarter goals on Williams but Tommy kept getting very lost and confused, Harris wasn't much help.)

I agree that Power will get a shot on Harvey, although I don't necessarily like the matchup.
    Think Harris starts on Petrie, Morris on Jones. Firritto unlikely to play which is good news for Johnno.

Firtst goal to Robbins (sentimental me)

Post Thanks / Like

Well hopefully Harris will be switched on today. Johnno hasn't had a big goal tally for a while, let's hope he has a big game today.

I know there's been talk about losing = higher draft pick but I go to the footy to watch my team try their best and win. I will be extremely disappointed if the season ends on a flat note (ala last week).

Anyone know the final 22 named?

Post Thanks / Like

first goal to darcy

I just want to see us be competitive - give us a bit to go on with over the preseason
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if we can play competitive football for 3/4 and then lose with dignity I'd be pretty happy. The Roos will be switched on today, so it's going to be a tough game.

Cooney for first goal, Ray to take Shannon Grant, Power on Harvey/Harris, and Boyd/Cross to play a negating role on the other one - Harris always causes us trouble and goes under the radar. Let's stop his influence today.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Johnno got the first goal and once again after a promising 1st quarter we fell away big time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think Johnno got the first goal and once again after a promising 1st quarter we fell away big time.
    Yeah we should have even been another 2-3 goals ahead at quarter time. I know its stating the obvious but we have a lot of work to do. If we do the work, I still see a lot of upside in our playing list - I know there will be many baying for blood but if the players commit I believe we can turn it around.

mike1954 Guest

Again. we looked like a champion team for a quarter against the Kangas. But unfortunately this is a 4 quarter game. I've been watching us over the last few weeks and it looks like boys are playing against men. Our tackles are being brushed aside with ease, not running hard enough into position to receive the ball and hesitation seems like it is spreading through the team like a disease. I am a die hard doggie fan, but if Rocket thinks we are 2 to 3 years away from a premiership, I think he is in for a surprise. Our defence is being punished every week and changes need to be made. We are conceding far too many goals every week and maybe it's time we picked up a couple of experienced defenders from other teams to really lead this young group of pups. I don't mean to sound negative, but there really is no excuse for what we have seen over this season, especially after the start we had against the Cats.

Thoughts anyone??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike1954 View Post
    Again. we looked like a champion team for a quarter against the Kangas. But unfortunately this is a 4 quarter game. I've been watching us over the last few weeks and it looks like boys are playing against men. Our tackles are being brushed aside with ease, not running hard enough into position to receive the ball and hesitation seems like it is spreading through the team like a disease. I am a die hard doggie fan, but if Rocket thinks we are 2 to 3 years away from a premiership, I think he is in for a surprise. Our defence is being punished every week and changes need to be made. We are conceding far too many goals every week and maybe it's time we picked up a couple of experienced defenders from other teams to really lead this young group of pups. I don't mean to sound negative, but there really is no excuse for what we have seen over this season, especially after the start we had against the Cats.

Thoughts anyone??
    M1954, Eade genuinely believed that we had a realistic chance this season and we have fallen way behind the pack. At this moment 2 to 3 years to get us back on track looks way optimistic but perhaps he underestimated they impact have having so many players with delayed starts to the season. I think he possibly overestimated the impact Akermanis would make to us.

There are of course a number of big pluses particularly the game time so many younger players got but if we are realistic, we were poor and even lucky with a few of the wind that we actually got.
    Right at this moment I think the gap between us, the Dees, Blues and Tigers is pretty close so we have a big mountain to climb.

Lets start the review with the recruiting and coaching panel plus Eade needs to work overtime with his end of season review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Right at this moment I think the gap between us, the Dees, Blues and Tigers is pretty close so we have a big mountain to climb.

Lets start the review with the recruiting and coaching panel plus Eade needs to work overtime with his end of season review.
    I am sure I am going be a target for saying this BUT fortunes can always turn quickly in this game. I believe we can turn this around because our list has enough talent on it - look at what North did in a year and they have far less raw talent IMO than us. We need to get the best kids we can again at the draft, and not . If you get good kids it is surprising how quickly they can make the grade - in two years time Everitt could be amazing if he works at a Scott West like level to improve.

Clearly we lack leadership and there is a huge crew of middle age players (Gilbee, Cross, Murphy, Harris, Hargrave, Gia, McMahon) who need to lift ENORMOUSLY.

We won 9 and half games this year in a year in which we played poorly for most of the year - if the players are seriously committed to conditioning this summer then I have no doubts we could make the finals in 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone see the incident at the start where Kasey Green hit Tommy Gun in the jaw? Tommy took a while to get up, but once he did he was straight over there to handle business. That is what I like to see. (besides the pathetic umpire paying a free to the Roos - again the umpiring was PATHETIC today. If I was Eade, I'd honestly speak to the umpires and just ask why so many decisions seem to consistently go against us. Harris took a mark, not paid results in a goal for the Roos. Numerous goals/shots they had as a result of frees!!)

McDougall really stood up today again, he's got to be our third tall defender. Forget him in the forward line, it'll have to be someone else. But as a third tall defender, he'll do well. His attack isn't always that excellent, but he tries and did some nice things. His goal was the highlight of the match.

mike1954 Guest

Saw the incident when Green hit Williams. Should definitely get a game for that. I think McDougal should be played up forward. He has done well in the backline, but if he's capable of bombing them outside 50, that's a bonus. I think with his height and speed, he's like a Richo, hard to match up on. Now that Darcy's gone, who else do we chuck up forward other than Tiller or Skipper with some height?

Post Thanks / Like

The stock answer I suppose is to give Harris a go.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I am sure I am going be a target for saying this BUT fortunes can always turn quickly in this game. I believe we can turn this around because our list has enough talent on it - look at what North did in a year and they have far less raw talent IMO than us. We need to get the best kids we can again at the draft, and not . If you get good kids it is surprising how quickly they can make the grade - in two years time Everitt could be amazing if he works at a Scott West like level to improve.

Clearly we lack leadership and there is a huge crew of middle age players (Gilbee, Cross, Murphy, Harris, Hargrave, Gia, McMahon) who need to lift ENORMOUSLY.

We won 9 and half games this year in a year in which we played poorly for most of the year - if the players are seriously committed to conditioning this summer then I have no doubts we could make the finals in 2008.
    I reckon you are right - I remain quite hopeful. If you can drop from 6 to 13th in one season - which is 7 spots - you should be able to do the reverse - if we had done that this year we would be 0 which has never happened before - we would be in front of the cats and would be the major minor premiers.

Seriously though - I do think we can be much better than the last 7 games. But some stuff really needs to change obviously.

What we didnt do this year was play (like the year before) as a team - we never really played like more than the sum of our parts. Loads of talented individuals but not as a team. We got away with it at the start of the year and then got found out.

We also need LEADERSHIP - Johnno is not the man he is too nice - we need a complete bastard!!. We need someone who is hard and mean. Dont know who that is though - dont think its gia or murph. Might be cooney, probably not. Maybe west? He was good in that article - players who dont train hard enough etc need to be told!

As off the field so on the field.

More discipline for them and for me too, really I need to lose some weight. probly next week though.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!