Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mick Malthouse won't be at Collingwood in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has a contract for next year so they would have to pay him out. Maybe they can come to a mutual agreement if he gets a job at Melbourne?
    Nope. He has an option for next year. He can walk if he wants.

And since when do coaches give a rats about contracts anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Nope. He has an option for next year. He can walk if he wants.

And since when do coaches give a rats about contracts anyway?
    Ok, didn't realize he had an option. That is strange, does the club have an option as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    With no real reliance on mature players they are going along ok.

Take out both teams over 28's and their list stacks up very well against ours... but it should considering they bottomed out while we were contending.

Taking away sentiment if I had the choice between coaching the Dogs & the Dees it would be an absolute no brainer.
    You see them as being that far ahead of our list?
    Wallis, Liberatore, Tutt, Dahlhaus, Jones, Schofield, these are as good as anything they have.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    You see them as being that far ahead of our list?
    Wallis, Liberatore, Tutt, Dahlhaus, Jones, Schofield, these are as good as anything they have.
    Trengove is ahead of all of our young midfielders, Scully is too, Grimes is comparable when fit and Watts is ahead of Jones.

Melbourne have a very good group of youngsters
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Trengove is ahead of all of our young midfielders, Scully is too, Grimes is comparable when fit and Watts is ahead of Jones.

Grimes is always injured and Scully is likely to be playing up north next year.

I definitely agree that they've got a good group of young'uns, but not as good as you'd hope after years of tanking.

Post Thanks / Like

Juts becaues he wont be at collingwod doesnt mean he will be coaching next year.

hypotehtical - malthouse agrees to coach us in 2013. We appoint a caretaker coach for a year, play all the kids we can, finish outside the top eight and are well placed in the 2012 draft and malthouse then comes on board.

Basically sacrificing 2012 in a tank-ish but not technically tanking kind of way, for the longer term good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Agreed. They have a good list and they can get a lot better.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    If I was Lyon I would be running away from St. Kilda as fast as I could.

The irony is they are heading for long term pain because of him!
    Agreed, a realistic Saints Fan ( not some sychophantic SEN Types) bloke at work reckons they have no youth coming through.Surely they have to pay a price for their continual botched recruiting

Post Thanks / Like

Besides McEvoy who has really come on this year its hard to name any young A grade prospects coming through for St Kilda. From a selfish point of view, it would be a very opportune time for Lyon to leave and take on a new challenge before he is left to clean his own mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Besides McEvoy who has really come on this year its hard to name any young A grade prospects coming through for St Kilda. From a selfish point of view, it would be a very opportune time for Lyon to leave and take on a new challenge before he is left to clean his own mess.
    They have debuted 8 players this year so they have at least given the young players a go.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They have debuted 8 players this year so they have at least given the young players a go.
    8 debutantes isn't an indication of quality, they were played because there were no alternatives at the time. None of those young kids have been able to hold their spot in the side nor do they appear of having a significant impact within the next 12 months.

I would be interested to see how many players they have on their list within the 20-50 game mark in comparison with other sides.

Post Thanks / Like

8 debutantes isn't an indication of quality, they were played because there were no alternatives at the time. None of those young kids have been able to hold their spot in the side nor do they appear of having a significant impact within the next 12 months.

I would be interested to see how many players they have on their list within the 20-50 game mark in comparison with other sides.
    8 debutants, playing finals still, whats that say about us then if you think they have bad debutants?
    We apparently have had a few future champs debut and are not getting anywhere near finals this year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    8 debutants, playing finals still, whats that say about us then if you think they have bad debutants?
    We apparently have had a few future champs debut and are not getting anywhere near finals this year.
    We probably find ourselves in the same situation, both sides have challenged recently and now need to find a balance between bringing through youth while phasing out the older players and trying to remain competitive. My point was never made in reference to us, the conversation was about whether Lyon should leave and I said he should consider it as there is currently a void between their senior players and young kids coming through and Melbourne's list has a better development path over the next 2 seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night the Saints had 4 players with less than 50 games and North had 10, so your right there.

According to Footywire we had 13.

Post Thanks / Like

We probably find ourselves in the same situation, both sides have challenged recently and now need to find a balance between bringing through youth while phasing out the older players and trying to remain competitive. My point was never made in reference to us, the conversation was about whether Lyon should leave and I said he should consider it as there is currently a void between their senior players and young kids coming through and Melbourne's list has a better development path over the next 2 seasons.
    I tend to think Melbourne will start to kick butt soon but of course they have to get the footy department right like we do.
    St Kildas football department seem to be doing okay, staying competitive during a rebuild, If I was Lyon I think the way the football department runs would decide my decision.

I personally am not a fan of Lyon but gee the things that have happened with the players during his reign and the way they kept playing in GFs is amazing, I think most clubs would have self destructed.
    I think Lyon will stay at the Saints.
    Bring back the biff