Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Demons win $6m sponsorship

Not sure why we didnt get this guy to throw us a bone given he is a supporter

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/d...825-1jch4.html

Demons win $6m sponsorship
    Jesse Hogan
    August 26, 2011

THE last time Melbourne announced major sponsors, both snared with only days to spare before the 2009 season began, the only figures the club revealed were how long the deals were for.

Now, the Demons' battered administration has got something to crow about: a looming $6 million injection.

Electricity and gas price-comparison website EnergyWatch will be advertised on the back of the players' jumpers for at least the next three years, at a rate believed to be more than double what current sponsors Hankook and Kaspersky negotiated with the club.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    The company will also use rapidly improving forward Jack Watts as one of its primary public ambassadors.

When the Hankook and Kaspersky deals were confirmed, after the Demons played in the 2009 NAB Cup without major sponsorship, the club praised them for helping it withstand ''uncertain economic times''.

Melbourne's directors will be hoping prospective blue-chip coaches are as bullish about the club's on-field prospects as EnergyWatch's founder Ben Polis.

''I had been assessing the performances on and off the field of potential clubs,'' he said in a statement. ''I believed the Melbourne Football Club presented the best opportunity for success in both areas. I was very impressed with the management and growth potential that the club offered.''

The Demons would be particularly chuffed that while the Hankook deal owed largely to the generosity of long-time supporter Lawrie De La Rue, who held distribution rights for Hankook, Polis is a supporter of the Bulldogs, the club that beat them in the Mission Foods sponsorship tussle of 2008.

The EnergyWatch deal was preceded in June by a smaller sponsorship agreement with Freedom SEO, another internet-based venture founded by Polis.

It is a significant fillip for Melbourne's chief commercial officer John Poulakakis and chief executive Cameron Schwab who declared the sponsorship the most lucrative in the club's history and among the league's biggest.

Melbourne is yet to announce sponsorship plans for the front of its jumper beyond this season.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1WCF3PApE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demons win $6m sponsorship

We probably didn't know he was a Bulldogs supporter. It was discussed on this forum about 18 months ago, we moan that we don't have any wealthy supporters, but in reality the club doesn't make much effort to find out who among our supporters are actually well off financially.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Announced on The footy show on thursday.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We probably didn't know he was a Bulldogs supporter. It was discussed on this forum about 18 months ago, we moan that we don't have any wealthy supporters, but in reality the club doesn't make much effort to find out who among our supporters are actually well off financially.
    We have mission as our major sponsor, how big do you think jumpers are?
    If you do a deal with a sponsor and its major they generally have the rights to too much to have another major sponsor, besides whats mission done wrong? been great so far and extended it!
    This mob wanted to be a major sponsor we already have one!
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We have mission as our major sponsor, how big do you think jumpers are?
    If you do a deal with a sponsor and its major they generally have the rights to too much to have another major sponsor, besides whats mission done wrong? been great so far and extended it!
    This mob wanted to be a major sponsor we already have one!
    We dont have any more room for sponsorship? wow!

You've missed the point. we piss and moan we don't have the ability to arrange 3rd party deals for players, or lucrative minor sponsorships, and there's a Bulldog supporter out the willing to pump huge a mounts of money into football and we're not all over him.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Third party payments will now come under the salary cap which makes them useless.
    Maybe we have room for sponsors but did this sponsor want what we had already given to Mission?
    I would say so.
    We have Mission and I am certainly not going to complain we have a world known company.

How much has Mission sponsored us for?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Third party payments will now come under the salary cap which makes them useless.
    Please explain that to Judd, Thomas, Swan, pendelbury, etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we have room for sponsors but did this sponsor want what we had already given to Mission?
    I would say so.
    We have Mission and I am certainly not going to complain we have a world known company.

How much has Mission sponsored us for?
    $4.5 million initially, then he recent extension for 3 years and an option for two more.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Please explain that to Judd, Thomas, Swan, pendelbury, etc etc
    The AFL has covered its proferbial fat bum on that one saying its ok because those were passed by the AFL before the change of rule came in
    The rule came in when Geelong said they would find a 3rd party to keep Ablett, then to confirm the change Melbourne were denied doing it to keep Scully.
    As I understand the rule from now on all 3rd party payments will come under the salary cap but those already in place will not.
    Apparently there is about 20 players getting past this rule due to previous contract.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    $4.5 million initially, then he recent extension for 3 years and an option for two more.
    We have done very well then.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL has covered its proferbial fat bum on that one saying its ok because those were passed by the AFL before the change of rule came in
    The rule came in when Geelong said they would find a 3rd party to keep Ablett, then to confirm the change Melbourne were denied doing it to keep Scully.
    As I understand the rule from now on all 3rd party payments will come under the salary cap but those already in place will not.
    Apparently there is about 20 players getting past this rule due to previous contract.
    And I believe in Father Christmas and The Tooth Fairy.
    Daisy Thomas is stayed at the Pies for half the money too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    And I believe in Father Christmas and The Tooth Fairy.
    Daisy Thomas is stayed at the Pies for half the money too.
    Daisy might have a 3rd party paying but it is supposed to be included in the salary cap.
    I am just telling you the rules I have been lead to believe, but doesnt mean clubs arent cheating in some way

I lost my AFL is all good and equal the day Grant lost the Brownlow.
    The year we were told we had to go because we were 3 mil in debt but the next year Collingwood were 5 mil in debt but nothing was said or done.
    I could go on and on about the AFLs failings and favouritism, alas the WWW doesnt have enough space to mention them all.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The demons new sponsor is being taken to court by ACCC after being investigated over the last 6 months for inappropriate conduct in their business practices and have just had an ad pulled from air for inappropriate racial stereotyping. If this plays out the way I think it will it is not a sponsor we would want to be associated with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoParkingOnMatchDays View Post
    The demons new sponsor is being taken to court by ACCC after being investigated over the last 6 months for inappropriate conduct in their business practices and have just had an ad pulled from air for inappropriate racial stereotyping. If this plays out the way I think it will it is not a sponsor we would want to be associated with.
    We might not be good in our list management but our business management makes the right decisions as far as sponsors go by the looks of that.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

We have done very well then.
    No we haven't.

We are the only team in the league to have the same sponsor for the front of guernsey, back of guernsey, shorts and training centre.

We are getting short changed.