Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Darcy pleads with Callan Ward to stay loyal

Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun

(my pic from player sponsor night, Wards first year)

FORMER Western Bulldogs skipper Luke Darcy has delivered a last-ditch plea to Callan Ward, urging him to put one-club loyalty ahead of the riches of Greater Western Sydney.

With Ward's future to be decided as early as next week, Darcy said the long-term benefits of staying true to the Dogs would outweigh the instant rewards.

"It's against the odds, and I understand the choice he has to make, but you hold out hope," Darcy said.

"It is massive for the club. To see him stay would be enormous. Maybe I'm old school, but I still think there is so much to gain from being a one-club player."

Darcy, who wore Ward's No.14, is still adamant close friend Nathan Brown erred in leaving the Bulldogs for Richmond at the end of 2003.

"He had a really good home," Darcy said.

"I was really disappointed in him. He is a really good mate, but I felt he was making the choice for the wrong reasons ... and I still do. He could have played in a great era and had this one home."

Darcy also said Gary Ablett, Gold Coast's massive signing last year, would have been better off staying at Geelong.

He said the long-term benefits, financially and in life in general, would have outweighed Ablett's huge short-term financial benefit.

Ward's manager Paul Connors met Western Bulldog powerbrokers last week, but they left the talks no closer to knowing Ward's intentions.

The Dogs have admitted they are not confident. Some players are resigned to the fact Ward (pictured) cannot pass up an offer too good to refuse, and former coach Rodney Eade told The Footy Show the 21-year-old was more likely to go than stay.

Darcy said he felt an attachment to Ward because of the way he played.

"On the few times I've had a chat, he seems a ripper," Darcy said. "He's understated, hard, super-competitive. He's a real young leader.

"People have said to me this year, 'I'm not sure why they (GWS) are targeting him?' I know why they have - he's an absolute beauty."

Darcy said a decision by Ward to stay would have a similar impact to Chris Grant's call in 1996 to turn his back on a once-in-a-lifetime offer from Port Adelaide.

"This is a bit different, but if Granty had decided to leave at that stage, it would have deflated the whole joint," Darcy said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Darcy pleads with Callan Ward to stay loyal

Well put Darce.
    Has Paul Connors got some pull in this?
    I heard him today saying it's up to Butcher if he wants to stay in Adelaide or not!
    Honestly the guys played 3 games, he should be advising his client that he actually owes Port something. I actually fear these managers are going along the soccer player agent path.

Post Thanks / Like

No way Callan can play for us this week.

Sign or go, I care, I want you to stay, but if you leave for $$$ I hope you have the career $$$ chasers deserve.

This is a team and a club, love you to stay, will understand if you go, but will call you a whore for the rest of your life if you do.

C.

Post Thanks / Like

Know where Callan get a good "Piece"up there.
    Might need one when hitting the pubs and clubs!

Post Thanks / Like

It is all to late he is goooooone!

Ward jumps Bulldog ship to join GWS

SMH Wednesday Aug 31, 2011

CALLAN Ward will be a Greater Western Sydney player next year, with the emerging young midfielder having decided to leave the Western Bulldogs to take up a massive five-year offer with the AFL's expansion team.

Ward, linked to GWS for much of this season, is expected to announce his departure within the next week, most likely after the Bulldogs' final game against Fremantle on Saturday.

Ward will join GWS on a five-year contract believed to be worth $750,000-$800,000 a year, or between $3.75 million and $4 million over the life of the contract. This is expected to be front-ended in the manner of Gary Ablett's five-year deal with Gold Coast.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

While disappointed to lose a player of Ward's calibre, the Bulldogs have been prepared for the worst, having made a strong pitch for Ward and upped their offer to the midfielder in recent weeks.

Officials met Ward last Thursday to try to persuade him to stay, but sources have confirmed that Ward has decided to take up the GWS offer and become a key player in establishing the AFL's 18th team.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1WY4F5JJQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Well put Darce.
    Has Paul Connors got some pull in this?
    I heard him today saying it's up to Butcher if he wants to stay in Adelaide or not!
    Honestly the guys played 3 games, he should be advising his client that he actually owes Port something. I actually fear these managers are going along the soccer player agent path.
    At the end of the day player agents will receive their salary via the players not the clubs. I've got no doubt they have their players best interests at heart and present the facts as they are without any bias and from that they would work with their player to make sure their desires are met.

Isn't that what he should be doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    At the end of the day player agents will receive their salary via the players not the clubs. I've got no doubt they have their players best interests at heart and present the facts as they are without any bias and from that they would work with their player to make sure their desires are met.
    Hahahahaaha... wait, you ARE joking aren't you.

Player agents are exactly like real estate agents -- they'll advise you in THEIR OWN best interests. Hopefully the players structure the incentives so that their interests and the agent's interests are the same (ie. get the biggest paycheck possible) but no agent is going to give two hoots about intangible rewards that the player gets like goodwill or feeling proud of himself.

And just like real estate agents, there's always another house to sell, so unless you are the goose with the golden egg (ie. a mega star like Judd or Ablett) you're just another number to them -- they'll suck a player dry then move on, there are always new players coming into the system. Who do you think is behind the push for free agency? All transactional agents (real estate agents, stockbrokers, player agents etc.) in any industry live off movement ie. the more transactions the more money they make, so they can't wait until there's non-stop movement. If they could make trade week last forever they would!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post

Isn't that what he should be doing?
    Or is it the bigger the pay the bigger the percentage $$$$$$
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...