Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Should Darcy have stop playing when he announced he was retiring?

Only saw a snippet of he and Robbins going off post game - Darcy seemed kinda resigned but Robbins who had a real crack in his last game was visibly upset.

If Darcy had lost the passion to play, should he have continued to play?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should Darcy have stop playing when he announced he was retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Only saw a snippet of he and Robbins going off post game - Darcy seemed kinda resigned but Robbins who had a real crack in his last game was visibly upset.

If Darcy had lost the passion to play, should he have continued to play?
    I talked about this yesterday with a few people.
    In hindsight yes, but when he first announced his resignation we were still a realistic finals chance and he obviously had that as a goal.
    Losing the passion may have meant the passion to get himself ready for a game eg preseason, training etc.

I think he gave it a crack yesterday but it was noticable was how his kicking has lost its depth.
    If the team up field played more consistent foootball like they did in the first quarter with the speed and long kicking then Darcy and Robbins would have been feasting not retiring.

Post Thanks / Like

It was done to try and spur the team on and is not a reflection of his commitment. The way it panned out with both Minson and Street being injured we needed Darcy even though he wasn't playing well.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly, but the other side of that is that we ended the season with Cam Wight in the ruck by the end of the last match anyway. Minson ended up injured, Street underperformed and then missed the last 2 with injury. Skipper started well yesterday, but then also got injured. I think the difference between Darcy and whoever would have taken his place wouldn't have necessarily been an improvement. His performance weren't up to par, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe there either.
    It was a real shame to see him go out like that. He was one of the best players in the comp 5 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

In hinsight probably yes, but as SC pointed out we didn't have many other options.

His first 3 qtr's were almost embarrassing, probably cost us 3 or 4 goals through turnovers. Thought his last qtr was pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

No don't think so, as mentioned at the time we were still looking pretty good for a finals spot. I think if they knew things were going to turn out like this that he would have pulled the plug early.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there would have been a bit of an outcry if Darce had just hung up the boots after he announced it, this way we all got to know how long he had left and to say goodbye- I'd definitely have rathered Darce out there then Wighty struggling, especially with Street and Minson both out injured. I don't think he lost a passion for winning or for the club, which is really what counts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post
    I think there would have been a bit of an outcry if Darce had just hung up the boots after he announced it, this way we all got to know how long he had left and to say goodbye- I'd definitely have rathered Darce out there then Wighty struggling, especially with Street and Minson both out injured. I don't think he lost a passion for winning or for the club, which is really what counts.
    Whilst I agree in regards the outcry, I think in hindsight what Darcy continuing did was delay the return to the side of both Skipper and Doog's and I think that was detrimental to the team. He had a horrible year and realistically if he didn't have 200+ games behind him well I think he would have been given a spell at Werribee. I think he should have been given a spell at Werrribee!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - he should have been given a farewell game, and then goodbye.

He said it himself, that he had lost the passion.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

mackem Guest

Hindsifght is a beautiful thing. I think that with a shortage of tall men playing well or injured they had no real option but to play Darc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mackem View Post
    I think that with a shortage of tall men playing well or injured they had no real option but to play Darc.
    I agree, we were depleted in the 'tall man' area and Darce had to try and plug up the holes. Announcing his retirement quite a few weeks before the end of the season didn't bother him, although in his own words "he lost the passion" I am sure he would have tried his best regardless...sadly the game caught up with him. Credit to him to come back after two reco's and play again.