Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Surf's up for Hahn

By Jennifer Witham - Also Video Interview

SHORTLY after telling his Western Bulldogs teammates that this season was his last, Mitch Hahn got in his car and drove down to the Mornington Peninsula's Gunnamatta Beach.

Although he'd known for some time he wouldn't continue his AFL career beyond this year, he still needed a peaceful space to contemplate the next step in his life.

With teammates Adam Cooney and Ryan Hargrave - the two who consoled him last October when he was told he was being delisted by the club and offered a rookie contract - and a non-football mate in tow, he jumped on his surfboard and thought about his 12-year career.

"It was nice and peaceful, and away from the city. I love the beach and the water, and it was a cracking day. It was fantastic," he told afl.com.au this week.

"I grew up in Brisbane and spent a lot of time on the coast and in the water.

"I was sitting out there in the ocean with the waves, and the last thing I was thinking about out there was footy … and maybe a bit about what's that dark shadow in the water.

"It was good to be there with two good mates who have been there the whole way."

When Hahn was told last year he wasn't in the club's senior plans for 2011, Hargrave and Cooney appeared on his doorstep. They sat down with him, had a beer, and consoled their friend and discussed what he was going to do next.

He had been offered the chance to remain with the Bulldogs as a mature-aged rookie, which came with the possibility of senior elevation and a licence to hone his skills as a development coach with Williamstown in the VFL.

Hahn took his time before accepting the offer. After all, it also came with a hefty pay cut and no guarantee of adding to his 181 senior games.

Now, almost a year on, it's an opportunity he's glad he took.

While things didn't work out on-field with the Dogs -a minor ankle issue and then groin soreness held him back while Barry Hall was battling his own ankle problem - Williamstown are in the finals and he knows what it takes to hold a development role.

"I certainly have learnt a lot. It's been challenging at times because I did back myself in to play senior footy and that didn't eventuate," Hahn said.

"I think the experience and the year I've had at the club has been really enjoyable and it's not over yet.

"Footy has been a massive part of my life, and I guess it's always going to be a part of my life, but I still feel like I've got something to offer for the game and I'm certainly interested in helping younger kids develop.

"I want to be able to show young players the opportunity they've got before it's too late."

Hahn wants to play on next year, and after kicking 36 goals for the Seagulls this year believes he can still offer something at VFL level.

He will also pursue a role in development, hopefully at an AFL club, and talk to former teammate Steven Kretiuk about the possibility of turning their part-time personal training work into something more significant.

And, there's the lure of the fire brigade, which he will look into over the next few months as he prepares to marry his fiancé Lana in October.

"I'll have a week or two where I'll relax and reflect and look back on the year, and then I'll start to talk to my partner about the future and what path I'm going to go down, and see what opportunities come up in regards to the coaching role and in personal training," he said.

"I'm also slowly looking into the fire brigade as well, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

"I'm just seeing where that all fits in."

Hahn expects them to remain in Melbourne after the wedding, but admits there is always the possibility of a move to either his native Queensland, or Lana's home state of Western Australia.

He'll also look to stay in touch with many of his teammates, including Hargrave - who is in his bridal party - Cooney, Hall, Robert Murphy and Daniel Giansiracusa, and former Bulldogs Brad Johnson, Scott West and Paul Dimattina.

For now, he's just looking forward to Williamstown's finals campaign and how that will help young Bulldogs such as Jason Tutt, Jordan Roughead and Patrick Veszpremi.

"I'll definitely play somewhere next year.," Hahn said.

"My body has done well this year and I've been in good form; I was probably just a bit unlucky and opportunities with the senior team didn't fall my way," he said.

"I understand that and I still think my year at Williamstown has been pretty solid and it's not over yet so hopefully I can go out on a real high."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surf's up for Hahn

I loved watching Mitch at his peak, he was a real bullock and a great asset to the forward line.
    Unfortunately he didn't get his chance in 2011 to have one more crack but has done extremely well at Williamstown with his duel role as player/assisatnt coach.

Good luck to him in the future, he has served the club well and will be missed.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved those goals Mitch kicked where he had 3 guys hanging off him as he scrubbed one along the ground before miraculously bouncing it over the head of the defender in the goal square.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Loved those goals Mitch kicked where he had 3 guys hanging off him as he scrubbed one along the ground before miraculously bouncing it over the head of the defender in the goal square.
    Or his shots from 35m that would spin sideways heading directly out of bounds before miraculously bending at right angles and going straight through the middle for a goal.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I remember one game seeing him shake his head while mouthing the F word as he watched a dreadful mongrel somehow sail through.

Loved your work Mitch. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

All the best for the Future Mitch whatever you do

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Ablett in shock that someone was able to nail him in a tackle

Guess who

http://www.youtube.com/user/idliketo.../0/c8Li4TvOWB0http://www.youtube.com/user/idliketo.../0/c8Li4TvOWB0

Lethal Had a lot of love for Mitch and often commented on his Bullocking efforts.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch was one of my favourites and I remember meeting him at a pub one day and sharing a beer with him. He's a great fella Mitch and I wish him all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch always gave his all and was a deserved fan favourite. Time caught up with him at the end there, but he was an indispensable part of one of the most successful sides, and one of our most dangerous forwardlines, in our history.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocco should come up with an award called the Hahn Effort or suchlike - players who are reverse Ekers whereby they've actually somehow forged great careers from seemingly little modern day talent, just sheer G&D.