Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 127 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Retirements, Trades, Delistings and the Rookie list

Over the next few days some decisions will be made around which players will still be on the playing list heading into the 2012 season.

Retirements
    Hall and Hudson are confirmed and even though he has a season to go on his contract I think Gilbee is weighing up if he can command enough senior games to make it worthwhile.
    On a side note, Gilbee's spot could also allow for another player to be moved to the veterans list allowing some additional room in the salary cap.

So that is 2 confirmed and one possibility with a question on Hargrave as well. It's a hard one on Hargrave because he believes he can still play but must have some concerns about life after football if he gets another leg injury.

De-listings
    To me the following players will need a bit of luck to still be on the list next season:
    Mulligan (despite a lack of talls) Hooper, Reid (could be traded to GWS for something) and a big question mark on Stack. (Ive chopped and changed myself if he should be maintained on the list)

Trades
    Hill still has some currency and we will be compensated for losing Ward but I don't think there will be a lot of interest in other players except a few questions around Lakes intentions.

We have to expect that we will lose both of these guys and hopefully we get something decent for Hill.

Rookie list
    Hahn has retired. Prato won't be given another year. Panos could very well be promoted. Dahlhaus is a lock. Barlow has probably done enough to be promoted. Johanssien should be offered another year as a rookie.

So in summary something like this might occur:

Gone
    Hall, Hudson, Gilbee, Mulligan, Hooper, Reid, Stack, Ward, Hill, Hahn and Prato
    Upgraded
    Dahlhaus, Panos and Barlow

Unlucky? Probably Stack
    Lucky? There is probably 3 guys who's contracts might save them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Retirements, Trades, Delisting and the Rookie list

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    a big question mark on Stack. (Ive chopped and changed myself if he should be maintained on the list)
    Wasn't he offered a new contract?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If Stack stays I can't see a role for Gilbee in the back half even though he has a year to run on his contract.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The question that must be asked for each player is that they must now fall into two categories.

A. Will this guy be develop to be good enough to be top 28 on a premiership list by 2015?
    B. Does the guy show the leadership traits to develop others to get to that level.

It's time to say good bye and trade if they do not fit into these categories.

I can't see Addison Stack or Barlow fitting into these categories.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought if Addison is out of contract that he'd be close to a delisting. I think we've seen the full extent of what he can do and it's probably not enough to keep him on the list. Can't imagine there'd be any trade interest. Hill would be another that there might be limited trade interest in who probably has run his race.
    I would have thought that Higgins might be available to trade if we can get something worthwhile for him.
    Can't see too many others who other teams would be interested in who we'd be willing to part with.

Retirements:
    Hudson
    Hall
    Gilbee and Hargrave are under contract so assume they'll stay on.

Delisting:
    Reid
    Mulligan (ideally, there's a VFL level replacement we can pick up to take his spot)
    Hill (or for trade)
    Addison

Trade:
    Higgins, if we can get someone to pay over
    Hill, if anyone's interested

My understanding is that Moles and Hooper are under contract next year which is the only reason I'd hold onto them, although Moles probably deserves one more chance to show what he can do.

Dahl is a definite upgrade. Barlow is borderline but I'd only give him a one year contract if he's upgraded. I'd like Panos to be given a year on the senior list under a new coach.
    I'd give Stack one more year, I thought his last 2 or 3 games this year were alright.

One question. If Lake decides he wants to go and only on that proviso, do we trade him to GWS for one of the 17 yo's they can trade, plus another good pick this year?

A lot depends on what the new coach thinks about the players available
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

So in summary something like this might occur:

Gone
    Hall, Hudson, Gilbee, Mulligan, Hooper, Reid, Stack, Ward, Hill, Hahn and Prato
    Upgraded
    Dahlhaus, Panos and Barlow

Unlucky? Probably Stack
    Lucky? There is probably 3 guys who's contracts might save them
    Great post GVGjr.

Hooper is on a 2 year contract from what I recall, so not sure if that might be enough to save him as well.

I'm very much line ball on Stack also. It seems as though the current staff had made their minds up on him given he didn't play the last couple of games, but I thought he'd been continuing to improve. I wouldn't be against giving him another year.

Addison could be another who goes. If Hooper and/or Stack get retained I think he might need to be moved on just to continue to turn the list over.

Agree with your assessment of the rookie list. Barlow has probably done just enough now, and I'm keen on Panos getting a promotion as I think he's done just about everything we could have asked of him and looks to have the right attitude and application to continue to develop his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Addison is a hard one to gauge. I don't think he would command anything at the trade table but given I had projected 11 departures and 3 upgrades leading into another compromised draft he could very well be a lucky survivor for another season. If he is out of contract then he might be in trouble.

There are a number of players that would be lucky to be maintained. Moles, Skinner and Addison are certainly 3 of them.

If Hoppers contract can't be paid out then maybe one of the other guys comes into the mix. Given what Veszpremi and Tutt have shown I think Hooper will struggle to get more than a few games in the seniors so we might have to make the hard call.
    We should have some room in the salary cap to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If Stack stays I can't see a role for Gilbee in the back half even though he has a year to run on his contract.
    If Hargrave stays then there probably isn't a spot for either of them.
    Hargrave, Picken, Schofield, Wood, Howard and of course Murphy pretty much cover all the back pocket and back flank options we need to cover. If Hargrave goes then Stack would probably be maintained.

Post Thanks / Like

Would GWS have any interest in Reid (a good mate of Wards) Hill and Addison?
    They will need some depth and have a bigger list to accommodate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to cut deep as well and would make the following changes. Some may be contracted but this is what I would do if we could;

Retirements

Hall
    Hudson
    Gilbee
    Hargrave (would need to pass a medical to be retained)

I'm 50/50 on Hargrave. He would have to prove his fitness conclusively.

Delistings

Mulligan
    Hooper
    Skinner
    Ward (GWS)
    Hahn
    Prato

Trade

Hill
    Lake

* if they don't want to be here let them go

Rookies

Dahlaus (upgrade to main list)
    Panos (upgrade to main list)
    Barlow (upgrade to main list)
    Johannisen (retain on rookie list)

One more year

Addison, Stack, Reid
    Last edited by The Doctor; 04-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Addison is a hard one to gauge. I don't think he would command anything at the trade table but given I had projected 11 departures and 3 upgrades leading into another compromised draft he could very well be a lucky survivor for another season. If he is out of contract then he might be in trouble.

There are a number of players that would be lucky to be maintained. Moles, Skinner and Addison are certainly 3 of them.

If Hoppers contract can't be paid out then maybe one of the other guys comes into the mix. Given what Veszpremi and Tutt have shown I think Hooper will struggle to get more than a few games in the seniors so we might have to make the hard call.
    We should have some room in the salary cap to do so.
    I see Addison as a ready made senior body for GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, I think a lot of people would be surprised that we both have Skinner as either being delisted (you) or lucky to be maintained (me) especially given the hype that surrounded him early in the season.

Whats your thoughts on his chances of becoming a senior player?

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, I think a lot of people would be surprised that we both have Skinner as either being delisted (you) or lucky to be maintained (me) especially given the hype that surrounded him early in the season.

Whats your thoughts on his chances of becoming a senior player?
    Surely we'd give Skinner another year, What a huge leap (pardon the pun) for him culturally and professionally to come to Melbourne and train with an AFL team.
    Would take you a year just to find your feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I think we need to cut deep as well and would make the following changes. Some may be contracted but this is what I would do if we could;

Retirements

Hall
    Hudson
    Gilbee
    Hargrave (would need to pass a medical to be retained)

I'm 50/50 on Hargrave. He would have to prove his fitness conclusively.
    What is the situation about paying out veterans? I think their full contracted salary goes against the salary cap if you pay them out early which I don't think is worth doing. Different if they retire though.

I suspect that Gilbee might pull the pin and Hargrave might stick it out for another 12 months.
    This allows us to move Lakes contract to the veterans list. If Hargrave goes then we could also add Murphy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Surely we'd give Skinner another year, What a huge leap (pardon the pun) for him culturally and professionally to come to Melbourne and train with an AFL team.
    Would take you a year just to find your feet.
    We didn't with Thorne. I tend to think he will have another season but if he has found life in Melbourne a difficult adjustment he might ask to be released.