Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs look to modernize with new coach

AS THEY await official confirmation of Callan Ward's defection to Greater Western Sydney, the Western Bulldogs have already begun to look to next year at the need to implement a ''modern'' game plan.

First the Dogs have to hire a new coach, although caretaker Paul Williams, who does want the top job, says a revised game style and tactics have already begun to be drawn up.

Williams has twice spoken about the need for the team to become better defensively, a point veteran forward Daniel Giansiracusa reinforced to The Age.

Giansiracusa suggested the Bulldogs had been ''caught napping'' in terms of matching the likes of Collingwood and West Coast with their defensive zones and pressure inside their attacking 50 metres. The Dogs had been a flag favourite heading into the season, but finished by missing the finals with only nine wins and axing coach Rodney Eade.

''It's hugely disappointing because we had huge expectations on ourselves as well. Nothing has gone right, to be honest,'' Giansiracusa said.

''There have been injuries, but we have got to put our hand up, every player on the list has to take responsibility for what happened.

''We will have a thorough review. It's going to be a fresh start and hopefully we can get a game plan that can really stand up to modern footy.

''I still have huge belief in the list we have got. Obviously it's going to be hard because of the personnel we are going to lose to retirements and things like that.''

The Dogs had been known for their dash in recent years, a game style that led to three consecutive preliminary finals. However, the league this season has become very much defensive oriented, something Giansiracusa, who had a strong year, said the Dogs may not have embraced.

''Yeah, we were probably caught napping a little bit. We tried to change it a bit halfway through the year,'' he said. ''It worked at times. We pinged teams in our forward half. That was great, but we couldn't do it for a whole four quarters really in any game.''

The Bulldogs still hope to name their new coach by the end of September, although that could depend on the availability of those applicants at rival teams playing in the finals. Williams said he looks forward to conducting an official interview with the coaching subcommittee.

Former Bulldog Leon Cameron, now an assistant at Hawthorn, is favourite for the job.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...904-1jshi.html
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs look to modernize with new coach

Caught napping?

Would Rocket have had limitations set on his game plan and what he could implement on game day? Caught napping is a bit of an unwitting barrage from the starboard side at Rocket IMO, certainly swapping and changing the game plan mid-season may have accelerated his demise.

Williams says that a revised game plan and tactics are already being drawn up. Is this a normal procedure without a senior coach? Surely the senior coach inks the game plan and especially the match day tactics.

What I have written above makes me think that the senior coach has limitations on the model he wants to implement.

Who else is pulling these strings at the club?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket pretty much admitted this in his press conference when sacked. What astonishes me is that for as long as I can remember premiership teams have been built on great defences and defensive gameplans. Its not really something new. The Hawks of the 80's, the eagles of 90's its all there to see The difference now is the whole team defends, so the coaching is as important as the players.

There's always next year....

Post Thanks / Like

Its one of the main reason Rocket is no longer with us. Monty stated our game plan was 3 years behind other clubs, we woke up mid season and changed it somewhat.
    Unfortunately the players we have cannot implement on a consistent basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Unfortunately the players we have cannot implement on a consistent basis.
    Correct.

It's all good and well to say we need to have our forwards play the 'press', but when they include the likes of Hall, Gia & Higgins that ain't going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Correct.

It's all good and well to say we need to have our forwards play the 'press', but when they include the likes of Hall, Gia & Higgins that ain't going to happen.
    You filled in the gaps perfectly. I found it interesting that Gia was quoted about how we failed to put forward pressure, pot calling the kettle black.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the suitedness of a playing group to a game style the other thing that this thread raises is the issue of whether you can win a flag by imitating the trends of the competition.

History shows that you win by being a step ahead of the curve? Geelongs corridor footy, Clarksons cluster, Collingwoods press etc etc

Remember how keen Dean Bailey was to imitate Geelongs corridor footy - well we've seen how that worked out.

We tried to do it our way and were almost successful. I respected Rocket for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    In addition to the suitedness of a playing group to a game style the other thing that this thread raises is the issue of whether you can win a flag by imitating the trends of the competition.

History shows that you win by being a step ahead of the curve? Geelongs corridor footy, Clarksons cluster, Collingwoods press etc etc

Remember how keen Dean Bailey was to imitate Geelongs corridor footy - well we've seen how that worked out.

We tried to do it our way and were almost successful. I respected Rocket for that.
    100%. I want to see us at the crest of the next wave, not chasing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard today that the short list could be Hinkley, Sanderson, Cameron and Williams
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I heard today that the short list could be Hinkley, Sanderson, Cameron and Williams
    No Neeld?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    You filled in the gaps perfectly. I found it interesting that Gia was quoted about how we failed to put forward pressure, pot calling the kettle black.
    I'd say he said that himself by saying every player on the list needs to put their hand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'd say he said that himself by saying every player on the list needs to put their hand up.
    Its a Gia fixation. So many of members have it. I sat behind a group this week that gave it to him proir the bounce and most of the game.
    Yet not a word about Ward and clapped when he did something ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    This list was printed in the Australian this morning, author was Greg Denham... enough said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Its a Gia fixation. So many of members have it. I sat behind a group this week that gave it to him proir the bounce and most of the game.
    Totally agree Chops.

I have reserved seats and I think the people who sit near are generally fair but when it comes to Gia, I have the same experiences as you.

If he stuffs up, he gets hammered. If he kicks it and it isn't pin point and our team mates stuffs up, he gets it. If he gets a crap pass and isn't super clean or fast to make up for it, he gets it. The only time he doesn't get it is when he does something well, then there's silence.

I am not big fan of Gia to say the least but I still spend more time defending him do I do any other player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    A common trend across the second level on match day.

A pink balloon floated across the ground on Saturday (across the back line about 100 metres from Gia) and someone yelled out 'It's Guido's! Guido, you've lost your balloon!'.

He gets the rough end of the stick and as far as scoring assists and conversions he has had a stellar year for us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.