Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club Statement on Callan Ward

I guess the best theory now is to employ a Peter Rhode type coach for a year, so that we finish towards the bottom, so that we can use the Ward compensation picks next year between Picks 1 - 10.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    Melbourne had the balls to drop Scully for the last game vs Port

Now Fantasia, Garlick and Smorgan need to be on the air and on the phone to AFL HQ demanding that we are compensated adequetely for Ward
    It's my understanding that the players wanted him to play. Thats fine but the MC don't have to agree with it.

agree with what you've said.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody313 View Post
    I guess the best theory now is to employ a Peter Rhode type coach for a year, so that we finish towards the bottom, so that we can use the Ward compensation picks next year between Picks 1 - 10.....
    We don't need a Peter Rhode type, doesn't matter who we have, we will most likely finish outside the 8 anyway. We just don't have the players, in the 23 to 28 group that will take us to finals.

Cooney is shot, which leaves Griffen; everyone else is either too old or too young. We have to get more games into the young guys and get them over 50 games and then we may have a shot at finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess a new avatar is in order...shattered but not surprised

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think it says more about the players character than it does the game and it makes you appreciate people like Griffen even more.
    No, that's not it Chef. I can't understand how the game allows a young kid to be placed in such a position where he has a decision such as this to make.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We don't need a Peter Rhode type, doesn't matter who we have, we will most likely finish outside the 8 anyway. We just don't have the players, in the 23 to 28 group that will take us to finals.

Cooney is shot, which leaves Griffen; everyone else is either too old or too young. We have to get more games into the young guys and get them over 50 games and then we may have a shot at finals.
    Looking back at 2009 Prelim side where i guess we were at the peak of our powers in the Eade era and the differences to now are quite staggering :

Gone : Harbrow, Johnson, Hahn, Callan, Akermanis, Hudson, Ward, Welsh, Eagleton.

Hall gone our best goal kicker two seasons post 2009.

Doubts over Gilbee, Cooney, Lake, Hargrave that remain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tweet from Emma Q

I completely understand why Cal Ward is going yet it makes me really sad. Why? Kids leaving clubs that they love for crazy money I guess
    He'll get out of life whatever he looks for. If it's money, he'll get it. Love, loyalty and friendship have taken the backseat.

I can't blame him, not really. I'm furious about it, and he broke my heart, but at the end of the day he's a young guy who's out to make a living for himself. This will set him up for life, financially.

But now?

He's the enemy. Just another player in another opposition guernsey. Fair gameā€¦

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Its decisions like this that turn people away from the game.
    I would turn straight back on if we used that money we offered Callan to lure Butcher from Port.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Brown said something interesting on the footy show on Sunday. He said Callan Ward is known as cement head, perhaps he realises with his limited intellectual ability he needs to make more out of his time in football than other players, due to having less chance to build a successful post-football career.

A fair slap, but perhaps goes toward explaining why most players turned down the GWS money and he didn't.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am going to take the high road and wish him all the best.

Bitterness and holding grudges is a fast way to nowhere.

I can choose to spend my time worrying about Ward or thinking how good it is to have players like Griff and Cross and even little Grommet.

Ward is no longer worth the sweat of my knackerbags.

Go Dogs!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to see him go - but it was expected. Definetly, does not make it any easier as a supporter. The club needs us supporters now more than ever over the next few years. And lets hope that we can move forward !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Nathan Brown said something interesting on the footy show on Sunday. He said Callan Ward is known as cement head, perhaps he realises with his limited intellectual ability he needs to make more out of his time in football than other players, due to having less chance to build a successful post-football career.

A fair slap, but perhaps goes toward explaining why most players turned down the GWS money and he didn't.
    Probably more to do with his attack on the footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Probably more to do with his attack on the footy.
    That isn't true.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently according to his manager , Paul Connors it's just not about the money.
    Stay indoors folks Flying Pig alert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Apparently according to his manager , Paul Connors it's just not about the money.
    Stay indoors folks Flying Pig alert
    Did he happen to say what it was about then?

It wasn't about the money? Then what was it about?