Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club Statement on Callan Ward

We lose another gun kid in that age bracket we lack while the big 5 clubs lose nothing what a joke.
    Hope Wards career ends like another money hungry player Nathan Brown brake a leg ward good luck at the giants .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Nathan Brown said something interesting on the footy show on Sunday. He said Callan Ward is known as cement head, perhaps he realises with his limited intellectual ability he needs to make more out of his time in football than other players, due to having less chance to build a successful post-football career.

A fair slap, but perhaps goes toward explaining why most players turned down the GWS money and he didn't.
    Well Rocket described him at best a B plus player because he lacks the smarts to be an A Grader, a lot of truth in his nick name.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    It's my understanding that the players wanted him to play. Thats fine but the MC don't have to agree with it.

agree with what you've said.
    Talk about the tail wagging the dog( pardon the pun)
    Why bother having a MC might as well have the players pick the side every week!
    What a gutless Lilly livid decision

Post Thanks / Like

What really hurts me is he is a local boy and knows what it may mean to the local kids. What does this teach them take the money and run team-mates and friends are secondary!!! As for his manager he has to say that just as Nathan went to play finals he just doubled his share and I am sure he wasn't thinking about that!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Did he happen to say what it was about then?

It wasn't about the money? Then what was it about?
    Waffled on about the up coming draft picks and the future prospects.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Williams made the comment that he thought booing Ward was " un-Australian"
    I understand where he's coming from.

However, when other clubs are dropping their defecting players, it basically says the club thinks we are a bunch of chumps....CHUMPS!
    we knew they knew, and they knew we knew that they knew. But the charade was played out.

We would have beaten Freo by a mile, without Callan, and in my view,
    if the players are going to be super precious about it, and would have been upset, had he not played, it bodes well for the spirit amongst the playing group, but it shows there is a wide gap between how they feel and the supporters feel about the club.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY THE KID View Post
    We lose another gun kid in that age bracket we lack while the big 5 clubs lose nothing what a joke.
    Hope Wards career ends like another money hungry player Nathan Brown brake a leg ward good luck at the giants .
    It might also say something about clubs like ours ability to be pro active enough at re signing players as well.
    There is some speculation we had a chance to sign him last year but for whatever reason stalled.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It might also say something about clubs like ours ability to be pro active enough at re signing players as well.
    There is some speculation we had a chance to sign him last year but for whatever reason stalled.
    If there is a scerrick of truth to this then Fanasia should be sacked some of his contract negotiations have been deplorable I know we need a list manager but if we had the chance to sign Callan and didn't that is gross incompetence!!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From my understanding we put a less than worthy contact to him mid last year. All speculation now.

As you have pointed out as well as Sedat we dont seem to be able sell our vision and our future very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Callan - loved watching you play in the red, white and blue. Now that you have chosen to leave us, i am going to hope that you never have the ultimate success and will love giving you as much grief as i can.

You are either with us or against us. As a local boy, you have chosen to turn your back on the club that you and your family barracked for. Not a smart move. Take the money and run you turncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

OK - Ward is gone.

The sky isnt falling.

Lets think about all of the players that we re-signed in the last 5-10 years - who has split and ran for the cash- Brown? Harbrow? Ward?

Lets focus out efforts on ensuring we are provided with adequete compensation from GWS - our President and CEO need to be on the phone to AFL HQ and they need to be fronting the media ASAP - and demanding that we recieve fair compensation for Ward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post

Lets focus out efforts on ensuring we are provided with adequete compensation from GWS - our President and CEO need to be on the phone to AFL HQ and they need to be fronting the media ASAP - and demanding that we recieve fair compensation for Ward.
    Just at the moment I find it hard to believe anything our club is telling us.

On Saturday James Fantasia was selling hope that we could retain Ward when he & everyone else knew Ward had already decided to leave. I felt sick listening to it.

Heard Smorgo talk in the social club & it was less than inspiring to be honest.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Long time coming. Glad its finally official.

Always loved the way he went about it, kids got skill.

But the amount their paying for him? He isn't worth that much, as it was touted by (Darcy I think) on radio- $800-850k a year for our 3rd? 4th? best midfielder, seems pretty stupid. But if thats a pricetag for 'Potential' hope he doesn't live upto their standards.

Players leaving for money don't deserve success.

Post Thanks / Like

Ward was NOT the heart and soul of our Club. Other players have that status. The kid can play a bit but ATM he is a B grader. It is nonetheless a real kick in the guts for us, but hey, lets get adequate compensation and move on. Opportunity knocks for Tutt, Howard, Wallis and Libba.

Lets get the better of this situation.

Cal will live with his decision.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Let's get some top draft picks, train and nurture some young talent for a few years and then watch them leave for more money elsewhere. Am feeling pretty cynical and uninspired by the footy landscape these days.