Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 All Australian candidates

With the season now wrapt up who do we think from the Bulldogs is a chance for All Australian selection?

Possibles

Boyd- Has been given the nod previously, and his stats still make good reading on paper. After being underated for so long, he's now being overated in the media. Could be a strong chance.

Griffen- A strong chance to go back-to-back in the Bulldogs B&F this year. The opposite to Boyd in many way, after being overated for so long in the media, he is probably underated these days. Might miss out to higher profile midfielders.

Morris- Made the team back in 2008, but hasn't had a look in since. Has probably had the best season of his career this year, and only missed the last 3 games which shouldn't hurt his chances too much, but little has been made of his season in the media so probably won't get a look in.

Murphy- Another to have had arguably his career best season and has been massively better than some of the HBF being raved about in the media like Yarran and Davis. It's much easier racking up offensive touches when you're not under the pump from the opposition in attack, though I doubt the selectors watch much more than the highlights tape and the stat sheet, so will most likely miss out too.

Outside Chances

Probably not too many in that category this year, it's been a season of have's and have not's in many ways.

Gia- Has kicked about as many goals as any other small forward in the comp, and had a stellar 2 month period in the middle of the season, but his early and late season form weren't overly spectacular.

Hall- Only 3 key forwards kicked more goals than Barry this season, and all of them played significantly more games. His end of the season form was arguably the best in the league which may go in his favour, but overall it seems unlikely he'll make the team.

What are everyone's thought on our players chances?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 All Australian candidates

I'd actually be surprised if we get any AA this year.

Boyd would be the likely inclusion but really apart from his stats, his year hasn't been that good.

I would love to see Murph get some recognition but think that'll come from within the club.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

The AA team tends to be a reflection on the teams performance and with that in mind I can't see any of our players earning selection despite Morris & Murphy being stellar in defence all season.

Griffen also carried our midfield for large portions of the season yet a by product of winning is greater attention from the media, more stats and just looking better so there will be other players ahead in the queue for selection through the midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

With Shaw out for the latter half of the year Yarran and Murphy would have to come close to sewing up the half back flanker roles IMO.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    With Shaw out for the latter half of the year Yarran and Murphy would have to come close to sewing up the half back flanker roles IMO.
    Rightly or wrongly I'd imagine they would be competing with the following players for the creative running defender role; Leon Davis, Corey Enright, Grant Birchall, Brett Deledio, Brendan Goddard & Shannon Hurn.

Pearce Hanley has also had a good season for Brisbane but I doubt he would come under consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see us getting anyone

How longs it been since that happened?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Boyd would be the likely inclusion but really apart from his stats, his year hasn't been that good.
    Boyd has been heroic and I would be staggered if he is not selected. Not that good a year? What would you have had him do?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd will definitely get a spot, most likely on the bench. The media have loved him, and despite his decreased efficiency he has done plenty right this year.

I would still rate Griffen and Murphy has having had better years, but neither of them will get a look in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Boyd has been heroic and I would be staggered if he is not selected. Not that good a year? What would you have had him do?
    Hitting a target by footy occasionally would be a start. I'd have Griffen, Murphy, and Morris ahead of him in the B&F count.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd has had a great year. If he had effective disposals he would be right up there with Judd, but he doesn't so I think he deserves a spot on the bench. Our only candidate really for AA.

Murphy or Griffen likely winners of the B&F though.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd is the no 1 player in the competition for winning the contested football this year.
    That's elite and he'd surely be in the mix.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd will be selected on field, but that's it IMO
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Boyds stats are pretty impressive which ever way you look at it:

2011 Statistical Rankings
    Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game
    Ranked 1st in Total Disposals
    Ranked 2nd in Total Kicks
    Ranked 7th in Total Handballs
    Ranked 1st in Total 1st Possessions
    Ranked 1st in Total Clearances
    Ranked 4th in Total Inside 50s
    Ranked 8th in Total Cont Poss
    Ranked 2nd in Total Unc Poss
    Ranked 9th in Total Scoring Assists

He is also ranked 5th in Effective Disposals which would surprise many on this board and third in effective clearances (2 less than than 1st ie Mark Murphy)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Boyds stats are pretty impressive which ever way you look at it:

2011 Statistical Rankings
    Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game
    Ranked 1st in Total Disposals
    Ranked 2nd in Total Kicks
    Ranked 7th in Total Handballs
    Ranked 1st in Total 1st Possessions
    Ranked 1st in Total Clearances
    Ranked 4th in Total Inside 50s
    Ranked 8th in Total Cont Poss
    Ranked 2nd in Total Unc Poss
    Ranked 9th in Total Scoring Assists

He is also ranked 5th in Effective Disposals which would surprise many on this board and third in effective clearances (2 less than than 1st ie Mark Murphy)
    It's an impressive list and he has had a very good year. That being said, I reckon he would figure highly for most ineffective disposals.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's an impressive list and he has had a very good year. That being said, I reckon he would figure highly for most ineffective disposals.
    If you look at the stats, all the high possession players have an effective disposal of between 60 to 70%. Judd is on 66% and Boyd on 63%, Ablett, Mitchell, Priddis all similar. However, Swann, Pendelbury, Murphy are averaging around 72%.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.