Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs howling as Ward leaves for GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Malthouse on SEN making the same claims, Ablett the benchmark and he is greater than Ward so we shouldn't receive the same compensation.

It will be interesting the outcome of both the Scully & Ward compensations.
    Interesting hearing a grab from Malthouse saying he didn't blame the kid.
    Just out of interest Mick, just how supportive would you have been had Ward played for COLLINGWOOD!! Interesting

Post Thanks / Like

Hard and early? This is all for the benefit of the supporters, to show us that "they're doing all they can", similar to Fantasia's ludicrous announcement of a 5-year deal to Callan AFTER it was confirmed (semi) publicly that he was going.

If they haven't been negotiating this with GWS/AFL since it was first mooted no one has been doing their jobs -- I actually wanted us to do what Melbourne did mid-year, which was to keep up the facade of trying to keep Scully WHILE putting subtle public pressure on the AFL for top tier compensation, back when it ACTUALLY made a difference.

Compensation has been all but finalised -- we'll get unders for Callan, overs for Reid, most supporters will be happy with the overall outcome, our administration will say they did everything they could, the AFL will keep up the facade of process, and everything will return to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Malthouse on SEN making the same claims, Ablett the benchmark and he is greater than Ward so we shouldn't receive the same compensation.

It will be interesting the outcome of both the Scully & Ward compensations.
    Heard Malthouse, what would be his view if one of his golden boys had taken from under his nose !

Post Thanks / Like

Why would Malthouse care he isnt coaching them next year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Interesting hearing a grab from Malthouse saying he didn't blame the kid.
    Just out of interest Mick, just how supportive would you have been had Ward played for COLLINGWOOD!! Interesting
    Yes, and then he said that if Tom Scully left Melbourne that would be a shame as they haven't been able to see him develop to his full potential yet. And we were able to see Callan??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    If Scully is on a similar salary to Ward, we should be compensated the same way. If we get 2 first round picks, I would be over the moon!
    Cal in 5 years time still wont ever be worth that much. His rating is high now based on what he may become, but honestly I dont think he will be much more than a depth midfielder.
    I think this is where the problem lies. Ablett was a club champ, prem player and a Brownlow Medalist.....2 first round picks.....all we are claiming this is based on Ward's potential. Personally I would be preparing for a disappointment on this front.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it, the AFL set out the ground rules under their compensation rules and what now it's a whole new game. Inflated wage = inflated compensation, you can't have it both ways as he falls under the age category and the salary category for a band 1. Getting tired of the Ablett comparison ( yes he's a better footballer) but we're merely abiding by rules set out by the competition!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I don't get it, the AFL set out the ground rules under their compensation rules and what now it's a whole new game. Inflated wage = inflated compensation, you can't have it both ways as he falls under the age category and the salary category for a band 1. Getting tired of the Ablett comparison ( yes he's a better footballer) but we're merely abiding by rules set out by the competition!
    The compensation formula is set up AFTER the compensation is agreed. It's what we call a post-hoc justification.

And if it's STILL inconsistent they just wave it away, a la Harbrow and Campbell Brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think this is where the problem lies. Ablett was a club champ, prem player and a Brownlow Medalist.....2 first round picks.....all we are claiming this is based on Ward's potential. Personally I would be preparing for a disappointment on this front.
    I believe the club is right on demanding 2 first round picks for Ward. The media are claiming we are dreaming wanting that comparing him to Ablett. In reality we are comparing Ward to Scully as the AFL came out earlier in the year and said Melbourne would get 2 first rounders if Scully went to GWS. Surely Ward is rated more highly than Scully (with a degenerative knee problem) hence our demand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    I believe the club is right on demanding 2 first round picks for Ward. The media are claiming we are dreaming wanting that comparing him to Ablett. In reality we are comparing Ward to Scully as the AFL came out earlier in the year and said Melbourne would get 2 first rounders if Scully went to GWS. Surely Ward is rated more highly than Scully (with a degenerative knee problem) hence our demand.
    Mitcha, if Lantern's theory is correct it really doesn't matter what picks we're gifted, the result will have been preordained. Something comforting in this, we can just sit back and watch the show and see who's up for the logie.

Post Thanks / Like

Tier, in the very essence of the word, has a varience in it. Tier 1 tickets for a concert could be front row or row 25. Sure, Ablett might be the equivalent of front row, but if Ward sneaks in at row 25 then we're still entitled to the tier 1 compo.

I don't think you can compare anyone being discussed to Ablett. The formula is (should be) the formula.