Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward's mum blasts AFL's big money

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    So your saying he cant play one last emotional game with which 2 of his mates were retiring to say good bye?
    Bit like saying oh Barry you decided to retire half way through the year, your hearts not in it obviously, no we arent playing you.
    He wanted to play. the team wanted him to play, the club wanted him to play, he is contracted to play.
    Whoever puts on our jumper is a bulldog when they stop putting it on is when they arent, he had one last opportunity to play the game he loves with blokes he had played with since he started.
    To me he stopped being our player after 5 pm on saturday until 5 pm he was one of us and i would cheer him.
    To paraphrase Monty Python: yes, that's the very nub of my gist. You sign with another team, swear allegiances to Breakfast Point, you're not welcome in a Bulldog jumper. The Barry example is different, Hall wasn't saying "I'm off somewhere else", just saying "I'm off".

We'll have to agree to disagree. In my book, the minute he decided/agreed in principle/signed on to be a Giant and then announced it to his teammates, he's one of "them", finished as a Dog and doesn't deserve the honour of pulling on our jumper. Sure, he might miss on a chance to play one last game with his mates - tough. IMO you forfeit any claim like that once you choose another team. Pay him his financial due, then point him towards Tullamarine.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely agree with much Patrick Smith writes, but I think he is on the money (pardon the pun) on this occasion.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226130897185

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I rarely agree with much Patrick Smith writes, but I think he is on the money (pardon the pun) on this occasion.

I like the last paragraph, it hits the nail on the head.

"Andrew Demetriou runs the AFL. He says the biggest threat to the game is a loss of confidence when the integrity of the game is challenged by betting and performance-enhancing drugs. He is wrong. The football industry lies 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and it is poisoning the game."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

YHF, I couldn't disagree more strongly at Patrick Smith's and your own supporting sentiment.

Whilst I understand Ward's decision to move, for unprecedented dollars on offer, and now with the dust settling don't necessarily begrudge him of it, the fans of those Clubs effected should be given some latitude to grieve at what is a akin to the loss of someone close to the family. Afterall we are as supporters encouraged to invest emotionally and financially into what is akin to an extended family.

Why must we as supporters jump straight to rational thought and behaviour, why can't there be some room for a bit of emotion and if we must a touch of 'irrationality' until we're ready to move on, as we all will.

YKH, fine, if you like Smith wish to sit on your perch and frown down on supporters of Club's for wearing some raw emotion on their sleeves then good for you. I for one don't support it.

Ward himself knew that it was a difficult decision to make. I'm certain at least some part of that 'difficulty' would be based on how he might be regarded / perceived by his broader supporter base for jumping for the cash. In short, the Ward's themselves could hardly expect a red carpet, standing ovation exit.

That Patrick Smith should comment,
    We have said before that football fans are frogs who hop about at the silliest and most unworthy of things. Ward's switch is an example.
    &
    He should never have been criticised, never mind booed.
    , shows not only a disconnection and disrespect to the emotional investment that worthy supporters of Club's put in heavily year in year out, it also sits at the extreme end of hypocrisy from him.

That Patrick Smith himself can so easily jump like a frog at the start of the season from his supposed Team, Essendon, and to Richmond of all Club's, simply because he didn't agree with the Essendon selection process shows a staggering degree of hypocrisy.

So it's all right for Smith to put his cane toad suit on when it effects him but when it comes to how supporters of Club's respond immediately following hearing the news of the loss of a young and exciting talent from an AFL headquarters inspired coup he then preaches that they must immediately remove all emotion from it and gracefully and with understanding send him on his way.

Get real. The game is what it is because of the passion and the raw emotion of its supporters, lets not sanitise the game more than it already has been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Get real. The game is what it is because of the passion and the raw emotion of its supporters, lets not sanitise the game more than it already has been.
    I don't that's all the game is. Personally I am a fan of the game itself, the athleticism of the players and the mental ability to push through multiple pain barriers simply to finish a single game (I would never deride a gut-runner as soft given how hard it is to keep pushing yourself when you are exhausted).

Yes the emotion should be kept in the game, and if fans want to vent their anger at Ward then they should, as much of the game is about a release of frustration (hence the traditional vitriol directed towards the "common enemy" - umpires) but the attraction to the game for many is multi faceted.

Heck, I'd argue that AFL is a reason AFL-dominated states are more passionate about sport than non-AFL states, although there are enough arguments on here already without getting inte the sematics of causality.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Doc, I'm with you on this sentiment, but I think you missed the point of Patrick Smith's article. He's basically saying that lying makes us more rabid than necessary.

He's not arguing against passion per se, just that all this cloak and dagger shit ends up making victims of the wrong people. The AFL choosing to sweep everything under the carpet and lie basically made Callan take the fall by himself, rather than allowing us to vent our anger at a dishonest and disrespectful administration as well.

I mean, I'm pissed off (only a little bit) at Callan for taking the money, I'm more pissed off that we're all being taken for mugs.

ps. you know what though? At the end of the day, the mug punters keep fronting up and supporting Emperor Demetriou's empire, and in the big scheme of things, I don't want to waste my emotional energy on this. I'll keep giving the Dogs my money out of loyalty and tradition, but I'll be f***ed if I continue to waste my time and give a shit about where the game is going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Hey Doc, I'm with you on this sentiment, but I think you missed the point of Patrick Smith's article. He's basically saying that lying makes us more rabid than necessary.

He's not arguing against passion per se, just that all this cloak and dagger shit ends up making victims of the wrong people. The AFL choosing to sweep everything under the carpet and lie basically made Callan take the fall by himself, rather than allowing us to vent our anger at a dishonest and disrespectful administration as well.

I mean, I'm pissed off (only a little bit) at Callan for taking the money, I'm more pissed off that we're all being taken for mugs.

ps. you know what though? At the end of the day, the mug punters keep fronting up and supporting Emperor Demetriou's empire, and in the big scheme of things, I don't want to waste my emotional energy on this. I'll keep giving the Dogs my money out of loyalty and tradition, but I'll be f***ed if I continue to waste my time and give a shit about where the game is going.

Nice work Lantern. Being treated like fools by the powers that be is not what we need in sport. We have politics for that.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm peeved off about.
    That cloak and dagger crap is not a good look for the code.
    I guess the AFL fan better adopt a culture of players jumping ship and announcing it mid season, this what we have now is plain nonsense

Post Thanks / Like

YHF, I couldn't disagree more strongly at Patrick Smith's and your own supporting sentiment.

Whilst I understand Ward's decision to move, for unprecedented dollars on offer, and now with the dust settling don't necessarily begrudge him of it, the fans of those Clubs effected should be given some latitude to grieve at what is a akin to the loss of someone close to the family. Afterall we are as supporters encouraged to invest emotionally and financially into what is akin to an extended family.

Why must we as supporters jump straight to rational thought and behaviour, why can't there be some room for a bit of emotion and if we must a touch of 'irrationality' until we're ready to move on, as we all will.

YKH, fine, if you like Smith wish to sit on your perch and frown down on supporters of Club's for wearing some raw emotion on their sleeves then good for you. I for one don't support it.

Ward himself knew that it was a difficult decision to make. I'm certain at least some part of that 'difficulty' would be based on how he might be regarded / perceived by his broader supporter base for jumping for the cash. In short, the Ward's themselves could hardly expect a red carpet, standing ovation exit.

That Patrick Smith should comment, & , shows not only a disconnection and disrespect to the emotional investment that worthy supporters of Club's put in heavily year in year out, it also sits at the extreme end of hypocrisy from him.

That Patrick Smith himself can so easily jump like a frog at the start of the season from his supposed Team, Essendon, and to Richmond of all Club's, simply because he didn't agree with the Essendon selection process shows a staggering degree of hypocrisy.

So it's all right for Smith to put his cane toad suit on when it effects him but when it comes to how supporters of Club's respond immediately following hearing the news of the loss of a young and exciting talent from an AFL headquarters inspired coup he then preaches that they must immediately remove all emotion from it and gracefully and with understanding send him on his way.

I don't have a problem with fans being disappointed, I'm also gutted, moreso than any other time we've lost a player since Tony McGuinness. But any anger I feel is not with Ward, but with the AFL for the way that this has all panned out, and how football fans have been treated like fools by them.

What I find hard to comprehend is hypocrisy shown by supporters, which has come to the fore following Callan's decision. Fans who on the one hand have no problem in stating 'so and so is a spud' or 'let's trade Brian Lake' etc, but then show outrage when the shoe is on the other foot and a player like Callan Ward decides to take the once in a lifetime offer in front of him. Then he his met with cries of disloyalty or bringing dishonour to the jumper. What's worse and what really makes me disgusted though, is that when Ward's Mother is personally insulted by people here, for what crime? Being put on the spot, no doubt, by a reporter, and gives a Mother's defense of her son. Yes she made some poor comments, but firstly, I bet she didn't have alot of time to prepare her answer, and secondly, how many Mother's see things clearly when it comes to defending their sons?

Give me a break.

For me the only crime in Ward's decision is the ludricrous way in which the AFL has set this whole game of charades up. It should've been upfront and in the open. And we as fans should not have been treated as fools who think that these deals weren't brokered well before the players were allowed to publically state their intentions.

I don't have a problem with fans suggesting who should get the flick or who should and shouldn't be in the team, but let's not pretend it's not hypocrisy when same fans then howl because a player has dared, decide to leave on their own accord.

The passion of fans might be important to the game, but it needs to be held to account when it goes too far.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 09-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Was pretty fired up at firs. But now, Look I have to agree with most of this.
    What benefit does it serve to be overly vitriolic in here?
    Pen to paper, let the club know how you feel. All you can do.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

So basically, " He wasn't the Messiah, just a money hungry little boy!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

My mate is dating one of his sisters and I know Callan's best mate James. At the end of the day I'm disappointed he has left but it is ridiculous the amount of money being thrown at these young players. However, I don't think you can blame the AFL. I mean, Callan didn't have to agree to the deal. There's no doubt he would've been on a good wicket if he stayed with the Dogs and would've been able to stay with family and friends.

Maybe once he is cashed up he will request to be traded home and GWS will agree with their inability to keep him on that much money when their salary cap comes back to an even playing field with the rest of the competition?

Would you have him back?
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 10-09-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Best part and highlight was Essendon home of the forked tongue!
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    My mate is dating one of his sisters and I know Callan's best mate James. At the end of the day I'm disappointed he has left but it is ridiculous the amount of money being thrown at these young players. However, I don't think you can blame the AFL. I mean, Callan didn't have to agree to the deal. There's no doubt he would've been on a good wicket if he stayed with the Dogs and would've been able to stay with family and friends.

Maybe once he is cashed up he will request to be traded home and GWS will agree with their inability to keep him on that much money when their salary cap comes back to an even playing field with the rest of the competition?

Would you have him back?
    No. And no.

He showed his true colours leaving for the money. Stay away.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post

Would you have him back?
    btw Arkie, thefinalsiren.com url link in your signature returned a trojan horse security warning via Avast for me.