Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Essendon assistant coach Dean Wallis banned for 14 matches for betting on games

Story here

What a fool.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon assistant coach Dean Wallis banned for 14 matches for betting on games

Why have Essendon escaped any penalties? Big deal they lose an assistant coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon assistant coach Dean Wallis banned for 14 matches for betting on games

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Why have Essendon escaped any penalties? Big deal they lose an assistant coach.
    Probably for the same reason we didn't when one of our board members did it a few years ago.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Probably for the same reason we didn't when one of our board members did it a few years ago.
    I thought we copped a $7,500 fine, or did he have to pay that?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why have Essendon escaped any penalties?
    For the same reason Collingwood escaped penailties over the Shaw & Maxwell incidents.

Post Thanks / Like

Incredibly stupid!
    You'd think with countless gallops, trots, Dogs all around the globe he'd choose something else to wage a bet on.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough on the club not copping it. I'm just a bit confused on the consistency. 14 match penalty means nothing to a coach. It's not lIke he can't earn money elsewhere.

I understand that it was 3 different bets but none where he had inside info. If that's true then why the same penalty as Shaw who knew O'Brien was starting forward.

Post Thanks / Like

The funny side of this (if you can call it funny) is the fact that Grant Thomas said on Footy Classified that he didn't know why Wallis had placed the bet for his friend, but he knew one thing; he knew the AFL would get the full truth because Wallis was a very honest man with great integrity ... He'll never lie
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough on the club not copping it. I'm just a bit confused on the consistency. 14 match penalty means nothing to a coach. It's not lIke he can't earn money elsewhere.

I understand that it was 3 different bets but none where he had inside info. If that's true then why the same penalty as Shaw who knew O'Brien was starting forward.
    Don't forget Shaw had 6 suspended, which was a joke, but then again he would have missed the finals and we can't have that , can we.

Post Thanks / Like

He is going to remain at Essendon in an admin role which I find astonishing. Should be sacked and registration as a coach removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He is going to remain at Essendon in an admin role which I find astonishing. Should be sacked and registration as a coach removed.
    Disagree I guess. Being dragged in front of media, 7500 fine seems like a pretty fair punishment for 3 small-ish bets.
    Still, not quite enough. would like anyone caught betting to have to participate in some sort of anti gambling community work for as long as they wish to remain in the system.

Dipper said the word " abo" and was made to tour the country on an "enlightenment " tour.
    these guys should have to spend some time talking to people who have lost everything on pokies or whatever, doing something to help them,
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He bet on an Essendon game. Seriously, that is the height of stupidity and worthy of de-registration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He also made two incorrect statements that he had to rectify so yes I think he has been very lucky. The penalty as handed down was substantial but Essendon have essentially diluted it by giving him an admin job when they should have taken the lead on the issue.
    As a club, they don't seem to insist on honesty being an important quality in their employees.

Hird flat out lied about his coaching ambitions throughout 2010 and just kept chipping away at Matthew Knights. Thompson lied about his intentions for wanting to leave the Cats and now Wallis lied about betting on games. It comes pretty easy to some clubs doesn't it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis should be banned for life.

He bet on Essendon games in which he was coaching on 3 occasions, and then lied about it when he was caught.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fantastic that the bombres employ coaches of such herculean mental prowess..... A better punishment would be to demand they offer him a new 5 year contract.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...