Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon assistant coach Dean Wallis banned for 14 matches for betting on games

It truly is staggering that this took place. How Wallis thought that he would possibly get away with this given the coverage the gambling issue has had, well quite frankly its got me stuffed.

Remi made a great point. Surely he could have found something else to have a bet on. Not only could he not find another sport, but a game that he was coaching in?

The height of stupidity.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon assistant coach Dean Wallis banned for 14 matches for betting on games

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I understand that it was 3 different bets but none where he had inside info. If that's true then why the same penalty as Shaw who knew O'Brien was starting forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Disagree I guess. Being dragged in front of media, 7500 fine seems like a pretty fair punishment for 3 small-ish bets.
    What gets me about this, and I know the problem is proof, but there's just no way in my mind that this is the first time he's done it. No way. And I doubt he's alone either.

They can only punish what they can prove, but does anyone really, truly believe that these "three smallish bets" are the only ones he's ever made?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    What gets me about this, and I know the problem is proof, but there's just no way in my mind that this is the first time he's done it. No way. And I doubt he's alone either.

They can only punish what they can prove, but does anyone really, truly believe that these "three smallish bets" are the only ones he's ever made?
    The only way to truly prove it is if he used a TAB Account. And if he did, the AFL's arrangement with the bookies means that the betting accounts of any player/coach/official are open to the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

He bet on his own team. Should be banned for at least a year and preferably for life.