Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$5million' Dog Fight

'$5million' Dog Fight

Michael Warner From: Herald Sun September 09, 2011

WESTERN Bulldogs agitator Paul Dimattina is preparing to unveil a "white knight" in his bid to unseat David Smorgon as president.

Dimattina has told backers he has secured a commitment of up to $5 million from a Melbourne businessman who barracks for the Dogs.

Smorgon has previously scoffed at suggestions a rival ticket could raise the money to wipe the Bulldogs' debt.

"If they come along with a bank cheque for $4 million, they will have my resignation immediately," Smorgon told the Herald Sun in June.

"I will gladly step down, as I'm sure every other board member would."

Dimattina, 36, has made it clear the money will only come if Smorgon steps aside.

The former Bulldogs star and restaurant owner, who did not return calls yesterday, is expected to make his move as soon as the club secures a new senior coach.

He will first seek a meeting with Smorgon - club president since 1996 - in the hope he will walk without a fight.

But the identity of Dimattina's supposed backers remains a mystery. It is also unclear who would assume the job of president.

Former Bulldogs champion Simon Beasley says he has no involvement in the ticket.

Ex-Bulldogs president Nick Columb has also ruled out an interest.

Dimattina told the Herald Sun in June: "We're not trying to cause a coup. We don't want bloodshed. This isn't a power trip or an ego trip. It is to benefit a football club.

"I just want to make sure that the club is in such a strong position that it is thriving and not hanging on by a tightrope.

"I am hoping my son (Kai) plays there in 10 or 11 years. He loves the club."

Smorgon declined to comment yesterday, but hit out at plotting forces before Saturday's clash with Fremantle at Etihad Stadium where he announced the appointment of former Myer chief financial officer Gary Kent as a new board member.

"There have been threats to this board for several months," Smorgon said. "But they had their chance to stand for the board late last year and didn't put up their hands.

"We have a process in place to ensure we get the right people representing the club."

--------------------------------------
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $5million' Dog Fight

Will be interesting who this person is? If he has so much money why is he holding the club to ransom?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will be interesting who this person is? If he has so much money why is he holding the club to ransom?
    I can understand it to a degree.

They want a new board and president to lead the club. They are willing to put all their time, money and effort into it - but rightfully so - don't want Smorgon and the current board to 'reap' the rewards. They probably figure if they are going to wipe away all the debt, then they deserve (and want) to take over the club.

Given most of us think Smorgon's time has come, I think it makes sense.

However - I think they keep doing too much talking. It's time for action.

Post Thanks / Like

I have concerns as to wether they are trying to help the club or purshase it outright.
    A onme off benifactor is vary rarely a good sollution, Melbourne and Joseph Gutnick are a great example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    They want a new board and president to lead the club. They are willing to put all their time, money and effort into it - but rightfully so - don't want Smorgon and the current board to 'reap' the rewards. They probably figure if they are going to wipe away all the debt, then they deserve (and want) to take over the club.
    I can understand that they don't want the current board to take any credit or reward from such a finacial boost, but why so 'cloak and dagger' about it all? Why not come out and say "Hi my name is *** and I am willing to fund a new change within this organisation"????
    Seems a bit shady saying we'll only come out if they leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I can understand that they don't want the current board to take any credit or reward from such a finacial boost, but why so 'cloak and dagger' about it all? Why not come out and say "Hi my name is *** and I am willing to fund a new change within this organisation"????
    Seems a bit shady saying we'll only come out if they leave.
    I took it as them waiting for the right moment, but that they will come out after we've appointed a head coach.

Agree it's still shady and isn't doing us any favours at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully all this fuss won't turn decent coaches away.

If they can wipe the debt though, happy days.

Post Thanks / Like

Callan Ward? Maybe Mrs Ward has raided Cal's wallet!

Post Thanks / Like

If they are going to do it they need to get in before the new coach is appointed. What if they don't like the new coach?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he doesn't want to invest his money in a business model he doesn't trust.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    If they are going to do it they need to get in before the new coach is appointed. What if they don't like the new coach?
    This has to be the 'grey area' of the whole thing. The phantom spender no doubt doesn't want to invest in a business with missing pieces, I only hope he is happy with who is selected as coach or he could sour?

Post Thanks / Like

You've got to get some return on five million, you don't just give it away. It's hardly ransom. I'm sure whoever has the money is not trying to 'buy' Smorgon and the board out because they can, they are obviously dissatisfied with how things are going and believe they can make amendments.

Paying off our debt would certainly be just that.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    The article says they want to wait till the new coach is appointed. Thats good, because they don't want to interfere with the operations of the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The article says they want to wait till the new coach is appointed. Thats good, because they don't want to interfere with the operations of the club.
    That was my impression also. Also many people that donate funds to footy clubs etc prefer to remain anonymous. Could be that simple.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    That was my impression also. Also many people that donate funds to footy clubs etc prefer to remain anonymous. Could be that simple.....
    If that was the case story this wouldn't be in the paper.

Dimma is making a big song & dance about this 'white knight' so it's obvious they want the publicity.