Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Scully signs with GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    That's a belter. Love it.

"Don't forget us, you d1ck, we wasted our priority pick..."

Post Thanks / Like

It's all pretty weird for Tom Scully to be the "highest paid player in the history of the game"

Scully looks like he will deliver a great career, but he has been injury prone and that brings everyone back to the field. 6 years is along contract. Not wishing it on him, but imagine if he got a career ending injury next year.

I suppose they have to spend their money somehow.

Melbourne got him by "playing in the best interests of MFC", so once they get the top tier compo they can't really complain. Like us, so long as the compensation fits the "crime".
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

NiceWork

Post Thanks / Like

While his family live in Beaconsfield, from memory, Scully lives in a fairly humble apartment across the road here from me ( Malvern-ish ). either that or his GF does as, have seen him cart his washing basket in their a few times. Funny to watch him shuffling across the street with his laundry, and think " Hey, that skinny guy is the highest paid player in AFL".

Reckon he's gonna cop a bit of stick from his opponents? Reckon so! All that pressure is going to make it fun for him.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how he will be remembered in the future. Will have to have a great career to be remembered as anything but the highest paid player in a trivia question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I recall someone mentioning an interview Sheeds gave last year or earlier this year, saying "We'll be going after the strong clubs, not taking from the weak clubs".

So far they've taken exclusively from teams not in the finals. I guess we'll see what happens over the coming month or so, and then next year, but at this stage they're doing no-one any favours apart from keeping the Collingwoods of this world at the top of the ladder for longer as the next bunch of challengers get derailed.

Collingwood are paying players under the table, and paying them through their sponsors, but given Collingwoods massive attendances and TV audiences, the AFL are complicit.

I have my fingers crossed that GWS will poach a Collingwood or Geelong player to bring them down a peg or two - although unlike Ward and Scully there hasnt been any strong rmedia rumour or speculation regarding players from these power clubs.

Surely if Geelong win the flag, and several of their senior players retire, their premiership door will be closed for a few years - and some of their younger players might realise this and leave for the $$$s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    All signs point to the fact that he signed many many months ago.
    The fact that he was very, very strict about sticking to the words 'the contract was signed today' is testament to the farce that these players "agree terms" months ago but only actually "sign" a piece of paper before the press conference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    Collingwood are paying players under the table, and paying them through their sponsors, but given Collingwoods massive attendances and TV audiences, the AFL are complicit.

I have my fingers crossed that GWS will poach a Collingwood or Geelong player to bring them down a peg or two - although unlike Ward and Scully there hasnt been any strong rmedia rumour or speculation regarding players from these power clubs.

Surely if Geelong win the flag, and several of their senior players retire, their premiership door will be closed for a few years - and some of their younger players might realise this and leave for the $$$s.
    Do you have any proof that this is happening or are you happy just to guess?

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable to think Scully, Ward, Folau and Davies are all going to be in the top 10 paid players in the AFL next year.

Considering the amount Ward will be paid in his first year we should be pushing for band 1 compensation even harder.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do you have any proof that this is happening or are you happy just to guess?

The only way I could get proof, or the AFL could get proof would be to examine every Collingwood players personal tax return.

Who was the last player that left Collingwood against the clubs will?

Post Thanks / Like

The only way I could get proof, or the AFL could get proof would be to examine every Collingwood players personal tax return.

DH you don't need to make unsubstantiated allegations. We don't want players or their managers reading this and then trying to shut us down for printing this sort of stuff.

One of the reasons Collingwood players are not leaving is that they not only think about the money but also how good their team is and will they be playing finals.

Take it this way, would you rather play finals for the next three years including GF and maybe a preniership, as well as home and away games in front of massive crowds at the G, or in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, at Blacktown in front of 12,000 supporters getting thrashed week after week.

Ward and Scully would have looked at our clubs and said, you know what Bulldogs and Demons will struggle to play finals in the next 3 years, so we may as well struggle in GWS and take the money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Davis.

I don't think there's any chance they are going outside the cap with the penalties being so high.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Nick Davis.

I don't think there's any chance they are going outside the cap with the penalties being so high.
    Yes. And no player takes drugs and the umps never make a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Even when the pies were crap, they have not lost anyone they really wanted to stay. People who don't want to believe this are in denial that a powerful club retains it's players. Tall poppy syndrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Yes. And no player takes drugs and the umps never make a mistake.
    Do you think that the Pies illegally retain/pay their players?
    The curse is dead.