Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs lock in Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross

Time will tell but I for one would not bet against the will power of Daniel Cross.

I really think the key is getting the right group together that works as a unit. Cross and Boyd need to carry less load.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    You may be happy paying Cross a nice salary playing at Williamstown or worse still limping through his last season like Hahn, Johnson and Aker.
    I prefer to take the conservative approach given no other club would be offering him mooney in 12 months time to move clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    if it is 2 years or nothing than I vote nothing. He is clearly slowing up and i agree that his 2nd year will most likely be played at Williamstown.

1 year contract was the way to go.
    If he was 29 going on to 30, I would agree but he is 28 about to turn 29 and fit as a fiddle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 2 year deal to Cross is spot on. He's fit, durable and still has a great work ethic and on top of that he is still a very effective player.
    Sure he might have a slightly reduced role in his 2nd year but I doubt it.
    Comparisons to the Akermanis and Hahn situations are nothing more than convenient.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    if it is 2 years or nothing than I vote nothing. He is clearly slowing up and i agree that his 2nd year will most likely be played at williamstown
    Then you expect loyalty for the rest when free agency becomes an issue.
    For what's it worth Cross was close to bog in our last game.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the Boyd/Cross on-field mix right is a different question to actually chopping them off the list. I definitely think these guys could be more effectively utilised in our current on-field structure, but they are starting 18 players every day of the week and still will be for the next couple of years. If we start playing hardball with players who are more than pulling their weight, we are on course for priority picks and Rohde-like seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's give all players that were BOG 2 year contracts, step fwd Minson for your great game against Richmond, Mind boggling!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where i said to reward BOGs with contracts? Prefer we cut Boyd and Cross now or next season then see all the players leave when free agency comes in? Loyalty is a two way street.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's give all players that were BOG 2 year contracts, step fwd Minson for your great game against Richmond, Mind boggling!
    With Ward gone it would be hard for Fantasia to say Cross and Gia have decided to not stay at the club and will enter the draft.
    Could you imagine the uproar?
    Offering him 2 years keeps everyone quiet at a time when he failed to sign Ward 12 mtgs ago

Post Thanks / Like

With Ward gone it would be hard for Fantasia to say Cross and Gia have decided to not stay at the club and will enter the draft.
    Could you imagine the uproar?
    Offering him 2 years keeps everyone quiet at a time when he failed to sign Ward 12 mtgs ago
    Actually if Gia left I wouldn't be surprised to see numerous posters on a certain other site celebrating.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Actually if Gia left I wouldn't be surprised to see numerous posters on a certain other site celebrating.
    and many on this forum.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.