Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carltons 2011 season?

How did Carlton improve so much during the season?
    They had their share of injuries but really did have a terrific season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carltons 2011 season?

Carlton have been on the periphery of being a good side for a couple of years. They have made the finals 3 years running and narrowly lost to exit the finals each time.

Although they have improved this season in a number of areas across the field if I could pin it down to one thing it would be the improvement in Chris Yarran. I rate Yarran the best half back in the business and one of the best players in the comp. His drive from the back half ignites the play and sets up so many midfield and forward thrusts. He is also not predictable so he is hard to contain and the Blues forward structure is perfect for him with so many targets to aim at. He's simply fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

The blues were very good last night and overall have had a very good season. I didn't rate Ratten as a coach but gee he has done a super job this year. To improve as much as they have with injuries to key personnel like Jamison, Waite & Kreuzer has been a great effort.
    Their biggest improvement has been their run out of defence with Yarren having a breakout season but they also have other players back there like Duigan, Russell, Scotland, Armfield & Laidler who also give them some run out there as well as being solid players.
    Marc Murphy has taken his game to another level and is now a legitimate A grader. Tex Walker going forward has been a brillant move by Ratten and one i thought wouldn't have worked. Henderson going in defence has seen him improve out of sight, he has played some very good games back there. Mitch Robinson has improved big time as well and his hardness at the footy is a pleasure to watch.
    As much as they have improved they still need a lot more improvement to be a legitimate contender next year and what do they need to do to bridge that gap?

Post Thanks / Like

They played well last night, and look to have further improvement in them next year.

A few of their B/C grade players have stepped up, which has driven their improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

They don't need much more - a fit Waite to keep Glass busy would have been enough to turn the game last night - let alone having a bit more class (Gibbs) across half-back. Last night they were missing 2 of their best 5 (Gibbs and Waite) and Judd was poor bordering on apathetic - some of his efforts were disgraceful - and they still only went down by a kick (and there was a double goal awarded to WC - the kick was there but it really is a big penalty).

I am impressed at the mature aged Duigan and the recycled Laidler...they play footy with strength and passion.

All of that said, I picked them to win - my theory was that WCE's biggest strength right now is there key backs - Glass and McKenzie have been unbeatable for 3 months now - and given Carlton had no key forwards that would really nullify the ability of those two to impact the game. As it turned out, the West Coast backs just played on smalls and the coaches held their nerve...

There are a few other contenders right now but I expect them to be in a strong position for a real swing at it in 2012.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been pretty good but I still don't understand when Waite turned into one of the top 5 fwd's in the game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    They have been pretty good but I still don't understand when Waite turned into one of the top 5 fwd's in the game?
    Who is suggesting that?

Post Thanks / Like

I was also impressed with the Blues for a lot of this year

I think a fit Gibbs alone would have been enough to turn last nights game around.

I think the Blues back line coach has to take a lot of credit. Henderson really looked good last night in the bits I saw. And others have said it but Duigan was a superb mature aged pick up and Laidler was the perfect steal from another club, as well as Yarran having a good season in his first as a defender.

Garlett was electric in the first half of the year - and I'd love to have a player like him at the dogs

I was a little surprised that Andrew Russell fall out of favour as he'd seemingly become a solid player. They have many others who have plenty of improvement left in them, particularly bigger guys like Watson, Tuohy, Warnock, Kruezer etc

If they can land a couple more good kids and there young core continues to improve they will challenge again in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I was also impressed with the Blues for a lot of this year

I think a fit Gibbs alone would have been enough to turn last nights game around.

I think the Blues back line coach has to take a lot of credit. Henderson really looked good last night in the bits I saw. And others have said it but Duigan was a superb mature aged pick up and Laidler was the perfect steal from another club, as well as Yarran having a good season in his first as a defender.

Garlett was electric in the first half of the year - and I'd love to have a player like him at the dogs

I was a little surprised that Andrew Russell fall out of favour as he'd seemingly become a solid player. They have many others who have plenty of improvement left in them, particularly bigger guys like Watson, Tuohy, Warnock, Kruezer etc

If they can land a couple more good kids and there young core continues to improve they will challenge again in 2012.
    Rumour is Jordan Russel has signed with GWS and that is why he's not getting a game.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Who is suggesting that?
    half of the media. They talk about him like he is one of the greats.

Post Thanks / Like

david ellard kicked 2 important goals last night , he knows how to find the ball. Warnock was good last night and his had a pretty good season for someone who could not get on the park for 2 of the previous seasons. Freo must now be spewing they let him go. Marcs Davies is a tough nut as well. In addtion to Duigan, Laidler and Robinson the blues have been very astute at picking up these players. Henderson , has been a good trade as part of fev deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly Waite's hit or miss, Kruezer's coming back from a knee reco.
    Gibbs was the big out, still think their short in the key posts
    ( o'hailpan spare me!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Honestly Waite's hit or miss, Kruezer's coming back from a knee reco.
    Gibbs was the big out, still think their short in the key posts
    ( o'hailpan spare me!)
    Agree with all that - and Waite is hit and miss but he is a lot more capable than O'Hailpan (which was where I was coming from originally)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Agree with all that - and Waite is hit and miss but he is a lot more capable than O'Hailpan (which was where I was coming from originally)...
    sorry if it appeared that was a pot shot at you. Just sick of hearing about Waite every time I turn on the tv / radio and his greatness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    sorry if it appeared that was a pot shot at you. Just sick of hearing about Waite every time I turn on the tv / radio and his greatness.
    Not at all - just wasn't sure of the context.