Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney has Brian Lake in his sights

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Interesting that Dr Zimmerman on the Grand Final suggested that Podsiadly's shoulder could be popped back in and he should be back for the rest of the game. Pods was stretchered off, a few minutes later it was announced he was gone for the rest of the game, and his shoulder was tightly-bandaged. I think he also down-played the extent of the impact of a few other injuries. I don't expect any doctor to make a diagnosis over a video of an in jury, but that which is exactly i would have expected him to say, yet he was quick on the "She'll be right, Pods will be back in 20 minutes" attitude.

Maybe it suggests our medico's take a less cautious approach to player injuries?
    Zimmerman was saying if its a dislocated shoulder thats what you can do. However, if it was more serious I am sure he would not be advocating for the player to come back on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Zimmerman was saying if its a dislocated shoulder thats what you can do. However, if it was more serious I am sure he would not be advocating for the player to come back on.
    Don't know about that. He sounded certain that it was a dislocated shoulder and that it could be popped back in and Pods would be able to play on.

Anyway he gave me the impression that he didn't have a conservative take on injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about that. He sounded certain that it was a dislocated shoulder and that it could be popped back in and Pods would be able to play on.

Anyway he gave me the impression that he didn't have a conservative take on injuries.
    He also suggested jolly was just about gone in the 1st q. That's very conservative.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 02-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't think he is a natural defender. He had ONE great season as AA Full-back, (in the season his contract expired).

IMO defenders need to be able to make good decisions under pressure-especially in today's forward-press- more often than forwards. For all his plaudits-and I know he is a fan favourite in these parts- he has a history of doing some of the "dumbest" things you can as a full back.

It wasn't by co-incidence that Eade had so many goes at him, and I've done the same in the stands : he just does some really dumb and costly things at times. His decision-making is BAD.

So as full-forward he has to 1. lead and win a contested mark 2. kick it at the goals. 3. Thats it. More in-line with Brian's decision-making skills.
    Did you mean to post this in the 2007 discussion?

One good season? He was dual All Australian in 2009 & 2010, won the B&F in 2007, and was dominant in 2008. Also for accuracy, 2011 was the second year of his contract, the first year of his contract was his career best season.

As for being a bad decision maker and doing dumb things, again have you seen him play since 2006?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

One good season? He was dual All Australian in 2009 & 2010, won the B&F in 2007, and was dominant in 2008. Also for accuracy, 2011 was the second year of his contract, the first year of his contract was his career best season.

As for being a bad decision maker and doing dumb things, again have you seen him play since 2006?
    spot on. He may have the odd brain fade but overall the guy is star back there and we would not have made top 4 3 years is a row without his brillance.

Post Thanks / Like

Greystache sums it up perfectly.
    Last edited by hujsh; 02-10-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: beaten to it

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Brendan McCartney has Brian Lake in his sights

Nice post. Playing on the best forward every week makes even the best back-men make nervous decisions from time to time. Was arguably our best player in 2010.

I believe Brian will be staying

Post Thanks / Like

One good season? He was dual All Australian in 2009 & 2010, won the B&F in 2007, and was dominant in 2008.
    I thought he was deserving in 2010, a flip of the coin in 2009

Also for accuracy, 2011 was the second year of his contract, the first year of his contract was his career best season.
    i stand corrected. One season befitting one of the best paid at the club, one season where we got nothing.
    So basically Eade did not go off his nut at Lake since 2006, and Lake held all that in for 5 years? His decision making coming our of defense is questionable,( but he can read the play with the ball coming in well.)

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was deserving in 2010, a flip of the coin in 2009

i stand corrected. One season befitting one of the best paid at the club, one season where we got nothing.

So basically Eade did not go off his nut at Lake since 2006, and Lake held all that in for 5 years? His decision making coming our of defense is questionable,( but he can read the play with the ball coming in well.)
    I would hate to see you analyse the game of any other player on our list, including our captain.

Lake is our best player. He's one of the best in the AFL when fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it suggests our medico's take a less cautious approach to player injuries?
    I think that's taking it a bit far - I agree he seemed very conclusive, where to me the impact seemed like it would have aggrevated the joint more than a regular dislocation, but that's what he was paid to do - make a conclusion from watching the video alone.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Because Eade is unable to control his emotions, one of his short comings as a coach. To say Lake is a poor decision maker in his past 80 odd games is ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

To say Lake is a poor decision maker in his past 80 odd games is ridiculous.
    Agreed.

Still does the odd stupid thing, which can be frustrating, but he makes the decision when to go for the interception, then when to dash off arguably better than anyone. His ball use is generally pretty effective and he does choose good options.

I hope we persist with him down back, but if we're playing Williams, Morris and Markovic then perhaps we can give Lake spells up forward more often, pending match ups etc.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    I think that's taking it a bit far - I agree he seemed very conclusive, where to me the impact seemed like it would have aggrevated the joint more than a regular dislocation, but that's what he was paid to do - make a conclusion from watching the video alone.
    I tend to agree.

He wouldn't have been able to assess Pods' injury accurately just from the footage. The Geelong medicos were trying to pop it back in too, obviously they had some difficulty and it was then decided it was a little more serious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Agreed.

Still does the odd stupid thing, which can be frustrating, but he makes the decision when to go for the interception, then when to dash off arguably better than anyone. His ball use is generally pretty effective and he does choose good options.

I hope we persist with him down back, but if we're playing Williams, Morris and Markovic then perhaps we can give Lake spells up forward more often, pending match ups etc.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in 2012.
    From what I am led to believe McCartney sees Lake as best by far in a key defensive role.
    I would be most surprised if we do not see a much better prepared Lake both mentally and physically in 2012.