Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brendan McCartney has Brian Lake in his sights

EXCLUSIVE: NEW Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has a meeting with full-back Brian Lake high on his list of priorities.

Although McCartney stressed every player on the list would be treated equally, Lake looms as a special case amid speculation he wants to leave Whitten Oval.

"What we will do is make every effort to cover off any player we feel is unsettled or may need to talk to us," McCartney told the Herald Sun.

"It's very difficult, bearing in mind players are now on leave, but all of our players are really important to us as people," he said.

"Where a player sits, emotionally and mentally, in the club is really important.

"It's important we understand where he sees himself and what he thinks he offers the club."

Lake has two years to run on a lucrative contract, but is coming off a disastrous season dogged by injury and has been mooted as a major player in trade week.

The two-time All-Australian stopped short of saying he would definitely be at the Dogs next year in a Footy Show interview last Thursday, indicating the new coach would have a strong bearing on his future.

McCartney said he wanted to talk to several players about stepping up into leadership roles or moving to new positions on the ground. Asked if there was an option to consider Lake as a forward, McCartney replied: "Absolutely."

McCartney received the news he had won the job late on Sunday night after the Dogs' board convened to ratify the recommendation of the sub-committee.

"There was an overwhelming sense that it is now a massive responsibility, knowing so many other great people have coached this club, it has had so many great players and it has been close to winning premierships," McCartney said.

"We (will) have a brand of footy that opposition clubs are wary of - they just know it will be a contest and, more often than not, it will be pretty hard to get a kick against (us)."

McCartney said there was a lot to like about the Dogs' gameplan, but acknowledged the team had to lift in some areas.

"Part of the game is on a parallel with the better teams. A couple of areas, which I don't want to elaborate on, there's a difference," he said. "If you're behind the better teams in two or three areas, you're already giving them three or four goals start.

"It's that difference we've got to make up.

"I think I have the model to teach the game well and build a brand of footy that will be sustainable over a long period of time and handle a lot of different game styles and pressures."

He said winning the contested ball was the cornerstone of the game.

McCartney is also a strong believer in aggression around the ball.

"You've got to have the physical strength and technique to do it," he said.

"I've seen it taught, I've seen it learned and I've seen people really master it. That will be the challenge."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226141208552

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney has Brian Lake in his sights

Not sure what other coaches say but this blokes seems to know a fair bit about our strengths and weaknesses already, and how he's going to go about improving the individuals on the list.

He's been all class so far.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that he has Dog fans in his family ( maybe he was a supporter in the past ) is reassuring.
    As with Barry, Brad and others, always feel it's a slight edge.
    Imagine getting a Ross Lyon Type who is there only for the zeros?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy to have McCartney coaching us
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Imagine getting a Ross Lyon Type who is there only for the zeros?
    You really think that's the case?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he left for a career choice knowing had he have stayed he might have been sacked at the end of a medicore rebuilding era 3 years later. It would be hard to build up the team in that time. Freo has much better prospects with its list.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not agree that Lake can play forward permanently. We have Jones as a marking forward and feel him and Lake would get in the way of each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I do not agree that Lake can play forward permanently. We have Jones as a marking forward and feel him and Lake would get in the way of each other.
    Like how Jones and Hall got in the way of each other? Or Dawes and Cloke? Kennedy and Lynch/Darling?

I don't see why Lake would create this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I hear from McCartney, the more I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You really think that's the case?
    In Ross Lyon's case, I do. He's not shy in stating he doesn't preach loyalty (a la his presser) and no doubt the $$$ was the major factor in his move west.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Not sure what other coaches say but this blokes seems to know a fair bit about our strengths and weaknesses already, and how he's going to go about improving the individuals on the list.

He's been all class so far.
    Of course he does, all assistants do he has been coaching against us for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    What an odd thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Like how Jones and Hall got in the way of each other? Or Dawes and Cloke? Kennedy and Lynch/Darling?

I don't see why Lake would create this problem.
    This.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In Ross Lyon's case, I do. He's not shy in stating he doesn't preach loyalty (a la his presser) and no doubt the $$$ was the major factor in his move west.
    I disagree, I think it was a risk management strategy to ensure he has a job in 2-3 years. imagine negotiating a contract at the Saints when they are languishing at the bottom of the ladder. The Sants have one year left of finals before Freo's list overtakes them. The money is a nice bonus, he has many mouths to feed at home.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

^ The % increase in salary is comporable to Callan Ward's increase - yet Callan is an evil traitor and Ross is just a canny strategist? Persoanlly, I don;t buy it but this is gettign hte thread off track.

I want Brian to stay, but how well can he strictly adhere to the gameplan? It seems to be one of McCartney's core principles.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

^ The % increase in salary is comporable to Callan Ward's increase - yet Callan is an evil traitor and Ross is just a canny strategist? Persoanlly, I don;t buy it but this is gettign hte thread off track.

I want Brian to stay, but how well can he strictly adhere to the gameplan? It seems to be one of McCartney's core principles.
    That is the skill of a good coach. To get the players to buy into the game plan and feel as if they are still doing what they want to do yet comply with what is needed. If he can make Brian or anyone else see the benefits of doing things a certain way then they will do it willingly.

Post Thanks / Like

I am more interested in seeing how B-Mac goes in getting Brian even fit enough to play because at present his body is a broken down mess and from reports (and from personal viewing) Brian isn't the hardest worker going around.