Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bold call by Western Bulldogs on Brendan McCartney the right one, says Mark Thompson

MARK Thompson feared Brendan McCartney might never coach an AFL club, victim of coaching selection panels scared to take a risk.
    But his loyal deputy for ten years at Geelong and fellow assistant at Essendon has finally cracked the big show.

And Thompson couldn't be happier.

When he says McCartney will coach just as he did at Geelong he says it without a hint of arrogance of self-awareness.

But Thompson's endorsement of McCartney to The Buzz should be music to the ears of Western Bulldogs supporters.

''I think it's fantastic,'' Thompson tells The Buzz.

Article Here

Also a spiel about vindication for Gary Ablett's move North.

Not usually a fan of Ralphy but I enjoyed reading this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bold call by Western Bulldogs on Brendan McCartney the right one, says Mark Thomp

No Fear Bulldogs. Well done selection panel.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bold call by Western Bulldogs on Brendan McCartney the right one, says Mark Thomp

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Shouldn't we be waiting a while before lauding their choice? Like until after he has coached us for at least one game.

Post Thanks / Like

If I could just include a laughing emoticon I would but the sentence is too short.

Been a lot of song and dance about McCartney, he hasn't said anything that Sanderson or Lyon haven't said. He knows what side his bread is buttered on now. I support and am loyal to the selection commitees choice, but I'm not going to think he is the second coming until I see some results.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If I could just include a laughing emoticon I would but the sentence is too short.

Been a lot of song and dance about McCartney, he hasn't said anything that Sanderson or Lyon haven't said. He knows what side his bread is buttered on now. I support and am loyal to the selection commitees choice, but I'm not going to think he is the second coming until I see some results.

No one has suggested you should.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    No one has suggested you should.
    Not directly to me no but I'm not commenting on what others have said to me I'm putting forward an opinion based on the perceived optimism of others.

Is that okay?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Shouldn't we be waiting a while before lauding their choice? Like until after he has coached us for at least one game.

If I ( personally) feel the club moves in the right direction, why not give it a slap on the back?
    A long trip starts with the first step.

They could have easily gone with Cameron, who hasn't had huge amounts of time with a premiership winning club.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 22-09-2011 at 07:50 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I really could not care less what Bomber boy thinks it has bugger all to do with him!!!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

If I ( personally) feel the club moves in the right direction, why not give it a slap on the back?

They could have easily gone with Cameron, who hasn't had huge amounts of time with a premiership winning club.
    But who are we to know if Cameron isn't going to be a very good coach just because he hasn't been part of a premiership winning club as of now?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. None of us know if he's going to be any good at all, but the right decision has been made regardless under the right conditions and criteria. If he turns out a dud, I certainly won't blame the selection panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not at all. I think Ghost Dog is right to praise the selection panel for the job they've done. Every coach in the league is an unknown, especially at our club. We could've hired Malthouse and still not have been 100% assured of a flag, which in the end is how McCartney will be judged: the same way Rocket was.

Absolutely. The club deserves a lot of praise for their decision process.

Post Thanks / Like

Not directly to me no but I'm not commenting on what others have said to me I'm putting forward an opinion based on the perceived optimism of others.

Is that okay?
    I will have a think about it and get back to you

But seriously, I hear what you are saying but it has been a crap year and this appointment is one thing that has been done well and Bmac seems ok thus far. No one has said he is the second coming but there is no reason not to err on the positive side at times too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm paid to be cynical as part of my job so it does become part of my natural persoanlity, but yes you're right my bitterness is probably flowing over from a disappointing year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm paid to be cynical as part of my job so it does become part of my natural persoanlity, but yes you're right my bitterness is probably flowing over from a disappointing year.
    Don't worry, it'll only make the next high so much more giddy…