Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Demetriou's level playing field

Hopefully we are able to spend more in the footy department.

Jon Pierik

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou will unveil on Monday one of the most comprehensive and important financial packages of his decade-long tenure.
    The move is to help ensure all clubs have a fair chance of a premiership.
    The growing gulf between the rich and the struggling has prompted the AFL to act, after extensive meetings with officials from all clubs, including coaches.

Concerns about the number of on-field blow-outs this season, plus the relationship of football department spending and the increasingly disproportionate sports-science arms race were acknowledged by AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson last month.
    Demetriou will give clubs their revised distributions just before the Brownlow Medal count, acting on his pledge to deal with the 17 teams despite having yet to broker a new collective bargaining agreement with the players.
    A significant part of this package appears to be to help several clubs reduce their debt.

Speaking at the Melbourne Press Club's annual football finals lunch yesterday, Demetriou said clubs had been scrutinised to meet their individual needs.
    But, he said, it would be ''delusional'' to think all club presidents and chief executives would be happy after Monday's meeting.
    ''I think we have got the balance right,'' he said. ''I think the package that we have put together for the clubs is a very, very comprehensive package, probably the most significant piece of work other than our broadcast rights that we have done in my time with the AFL.

''It tries to address this issue of equalisation, and this gap that has grown. It's an attempt to try and give every club an opportunity to do what they should be doing and why they exist, and that's to win a premiership.'' Richmond, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Essendon, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are among those to have asked for money in recent months.
    Demetriou said several clubs would now have the opportunity to hire more staff, who in turn would help generate greater income.

''Some clubs, for example, are very light on in their administration, which actually limits their capacity to generate revenue,'' he said. ''That has a flow-on effect.''
    Demetriou said he had no intention banning those clubs that could afford expensive training programs, such as high-altitude training overseas.
    ''We are not going to stop those guys from doing that. What we need to do is bring the smaller clubs up a bit so they can at least compete on the football field, because they exist to win premierships,'' he said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demetriou's level playing field

We (and the other minnow clubs) are starting from a long way back.... the gap the 'big' clubs have on us is massive and it's going to take a while to bridge it.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of worrying about financial compensation first why don't the AFL make it a level playing field(draw,stadium deals, tv deals, exposure, etc). The compensation will always be behind.
    What does it cost get a junior life long support to your club because they are brainwashed young from over exposure?
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 23-09-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    ''It tries to address this issue of equalisation, and this gap that has grown. It's an attempt to try and give every club an opportunity to do what they should be doing and why they exist, and that's to win a premiership.'' Richmond, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Essendon, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are among those to have asked for money in recent months.
    Surprised by this. I've always thought Essendon were OK financially. I mean, they spend a million a year on their IT budget alone.

Perhaps mismanagement?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Surprised by this. I've always thought Essendon were OK financially. I mean, they spend a million a year on their IT budget alone.

Perhaps mismanagement?
    I'd say it's to help pay for their relocation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Instead of worrying about financial compensation first why don't the AFL make it a level playing field(draw,stadium deals, tv deals, exposure, etc). The compensation will always be being the behind.
    What does it cost get a junior life long support to your club because they are brainwashed young from over exposure?
    This
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    This
    Shit! First time I've ever seen anyone agree with Chops on this forum!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of worrying about financial compensation first why don't the AFL make it a level playing field(draw,stadium deals, tv deals, exposure, etc). The compensation will always be being the behind.
    My thoughts exactly. The more exposure the bigger they are getting.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We (and the other minnow clubs) are starting from a long way back.... the gap the 'big' clubs have on us is massive and it's going to take a while to bridge it.
    Make that we will NEVER, EVER bridge the gap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Shit! First time I've ever seen anyone agree with Chops on this forum!
    Sorry TCD ... you know me, I like to set a trend every now and again
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Scraggers is my mate

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

2 firsts in 1 day

Post Thanks / Like

Make it 3, I'm on the Chops bandwagon
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Make it 3, I'm on the Chops bandwagon
    4, can't argue with the man when he is 100% spot on.