Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preliminary Finals

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Gibson being held every time the pies wanted to "Shepard" the goal through, the ball going out on the full before Swan goals, Hodge getting his head ripped off within 25m of goal. All within 10mins of full time?
    Wait, so you really think that the umps kicked Swannie's goal from the boundary for him?

And there were plenty of high tackles on both sides that were missed -- how about Hawthorn's blatant throw? It was just a bad performance by the umps.

If you want a bad decision that favoured the Pies, it would have to be Tarrant trying to kick it through for a behind and kicking it out instead -- should have been called deliberate (skill errors aren't allowed for), and would have given the Hawks a shot from a tight angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Shoemakers & Bateman, costly!
    Bateman was the turnover king, he looked unsure and old. If I was Hawthorn I would be ropeable over his second half in particular. Young Shoenmakers stood up most of the night I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Gibson being held every time the pies wanted to "Shepard" the goal through, the ball going out on the full before Swan goals, Hodge getting his head ripped off within 25m of goal. All within 10mins of full time?
    Hodge milked it and ump called play on, correct call. Hawthorn had plenty of opportunity to put scoreboard pressure on the Pies in the first half and fluffed half a dozen set shots from 25-30 metres out.

Reminded me of the 2008 Prelim.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to this game with a couple of Hawthorn friends, great game to watch live. Still can't believe the Hawks lost. They were really a couple of players down. Roughead and Gillham would have made a big difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Puopolo stuffed it on numerous occasions.

Hawks should have won. Reminded me so much of our 2009 prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

Glorious game, but the umpiring was shocking both ways - I really hope we're not talking about the umpires at the end of the gf.

My greatest hope however, is another drawn gf - that way both sets of fans have to endure an agonising finish with no resolution to it. And yes, I'm just in this finals series for the misery it can bring whoever loses (plus the enjoyment of great games).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Wait, so you really think that the umps kicked Swannie's goal from the boundary for him? .
    Swan's goal was all class. What I'm saying is he shouldn't have had the opportunity to kick it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Glorious game, but the umpiring was shocking both ways - I really hope we're not talking about the umpires at the end of the gf.

My greatest hope however, is another drawn gf - that way both sets of fans have to endure an agonising finish with no resolution to it. And yes, I'm just in this finals series for the misery it can bring whoever loses (plus the enjoyment of great games).
    I thought the umpires overall didn't influence the game. They will always make mistakes (as they did), but as a neutral at the game tonight you see things differently. Hawks had lots of chances and just fluffed it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Puopolo stuffed it on numerous occasions.

Puopolo was the most important player on the ground in many ways - game turned on his mistakes and the ball bouncing behind him.

Hawthorn had better opportunities than our 2008 and 2009 prelims, a bit closer to 97 for mine. (And yes, sorry for bringing that back up!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, Hodge might've milked his free, but that would be paid a free, every other game, every other day of the week. The following 50m penalty was laughable - and they want people to give those clowns more respect?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Went to the game and was the first thing I thought at the siren - like us the Dawks literally did everything but get over the line. Mitchell was massive, but ditto Swan 2nd half. Hodge looked a free for all money in real play but I haven't seen the replay. Irrespective, I don't want to hear a peep out of the filth supporters if Selwood gets these frees next week. Bateman had more score involvements for the Pies than any Collingwood player. Week off ultimately helped but Hawthorn should have been out of sight at 3/4 time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought the umpires overall didn't influence the game. They will always make mistakes (as they did), but as a neutral at the game tonight you see things differently. Hawks had lots of chances and just fluffed it.
    Yes and no for mine. The umpires were huge in the momentum swings, but didn't clearly favour either team. But so very inconsistent with some horrid calls. Hawks can't blame them but they were still a blight on an excellent game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    If you want a bad decision that favoured the Pies, it would have to be Tarrant trying to kick it through for a behind and kicking it out instead -- should have been called deliberate (skill errors aren't allowed for), and would have given the Hawks a shot from a tight angle.
    This is hands down the worst non-decision of an obvious free kick for the entire season. Ball kicked directly towards boundary, not a teammate within sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Sure, Hodge might've milked his free, but that would be paid a free, every other game, every other day of the week. The following 50m penalty was laughable - and they want people to give those clowns more respect?
    Only during the first three quarters. Stuff like that is rarely paid in the last.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This is hands down the worst non-decision of an obvious free kick for the entire season. Ball kicked directly towards boundary, not a teammate within sight.
    Yep, though the free against Davis for over the shoulder early on was amazing (hands just went straight in the air).

Umps were on ice, either doing too much or too little - not a composed performance, but rather a sign that they were pretty disconcerted by the pressure of the game (and maybe pressure from above as well).

One moment they put the whistle away (eg Tarrant's kick and the free that should've been paid to Ball, as well as a number of clear frees to the Pies [eg Gibson jumping onto Dawe's shoulders towards the end of the first half]) and then the next moment they are over-reacting like instant holding the balls and the 50 metres...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Only during the first three quarters. Stuff like that is rarely paid in the last.
    And therefore, they directly influence the game. It should be paid every time or not at all. The rules don't change after 3 quarter time.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]