Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It's still a Dog's life for Lake

MEETINGS this week between Brian Lake and the Western Bulldogs' new coach have led the All-Australian defender - disillusioned through a miserable year of injury and seemingly open to continuing his career elsewhere - to reaffirm his commitment to the Dogs.

Lake had been evasive about his playing future as recently as last week when he described how he used anti-inflammatory suppositories simply to get through training in a rehabilitation program that backfired before the Dogs ended his season in July.

In the aftermath of Rodney Eade's sacking, Lake indicated the club's new coach would have a strong influence on his feelings about remaining at Whitten Oval, and when Brendan McCartney was announced as Eade's successor this week he said it was a priority to ascertain Lake's intentions.

The Saturday Age understands that McCartney and Lake met twice this week, most recently on Thursday, and that the discussions reassured the club - which has insisted all season that trading Lake two years into a lucrative four-year deal would not be entertained - that the player is committed to rebounding at Whitten Oval.

Bulldogs football operations boss James Fantasia yesterday confirmed the coach and defender had met, but would not elaborate.

Lake has also informed his management about of discussions with McCartney, who has indicated publicly he would consider using Lake as a forward next season, and relayed that they were positive.

Despite being contracted to the Dogs on a handsome contract until the end of 2013, the 29-year-old dual All-Australian became increasingly frustrated in his 10th season when he managed just five senior games.

Lake was the competition's premier defender in 2009 and 2010, but as well as being injured this season - he battled various leg, hip, shoulder and groin problems after several operations - he had his mental toughness questioned publicly by a member of the Bulldogs' coaching panel, Brett Montgomery, this year.

Lake's relationship with Eade was also strained at times, and when the player would not commit unequivocally to the Dogs in a Channel Nine interview last week, the sense he was seriously contemplating a request to be traded was fuelled.

''It's hard. You've got a new coach coming into the club in the coming weeks,'' Lake said before McCartney was confirmed as Eade's replacement.

''I've got to know what he thinks of myself, if he sees me in the picture long term.

''You can't guarantee anything in football. If the coach comes in and says, 'We think it's probably better if you move on', so be it.

''I probably don't see that happening, but you just don't know.''

When the Dogs decided, at the end of July, that Lake should not try to play again at any level this season, the club's president, David Smorgon, and football manager, Fantasia, were emphatic that they wanted to retain the defender.

Given the Bulldogs have lost two stars in two seasons - Callan Ward to Greater Western Sydney and Jarrod Harbrow to Gold Coast - the prospect of their best defender and one of their highest-paid players stating a preference to start afresh elsewhere would have been disastrous.

McCartney will continue meeting players next week.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1YoPIn4wJ
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's still a Dog's life for Lake

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    anti-inflammatory suppositories simply to get through training
    No wonder the guy was so gutted this year. Imagine sticking anti-inflammatories up your ar$e just to train.... (to quote Allen Iverson: "not a game! We talking 'bout practice")..... and still not being able to get himself right for the weekend? Makes you respect what some of these guys go through behind the scenes each week just so we can take them apart after an average game.

Post Thanks / Like

So - our best player is going to stay - and play?

AWESOME!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Lukewarm on this as I really don't think he'll be of much value to us for the final 2 years of his contract. I don't see the value of keeping an unhappy player on a developing list, if there was an inkling of him wanting to leave the club I really think we should have moved him.

Time to nut up now Lake! Prove all the doubters like me wrong and I hope I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Lukewarm on this as I really don't think he'll be of much value to us for the final 2 years of his contract. I don't see the value of keeping an unhappy player on a developing list, if there was an inkling of him wanting to leave the club I really think we should have moved him.

I understand what you are saying but I don't agree.
    Unless he gives a clear indication that he doesn't want to be playing football with us then we need to keep him.
    - He has a large contract that other interested clubs would have a problem accommodating
    - Us 'chipping in' some of his salary to another club isn't a good outcome
    - We would be unlikely to get a fair market value on any compensation unless a few teams tried to outbid each other.

We have a new coach and a clean slate so the past is just that and any bridges burned last year can be fixed. Lake should want to play footy with his mates and we need him to step up. I think he will be with us so the trick is getting him back to wanting to play for us and that shouldn't be too hard.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Turning him into a KPF swingman is the spark that will reignite his career IMO. He's a nightmare to play on and some of my fav games have been watching him have a purple patch over buddy. If he can read the ball that well down back, imagine the havoc he can cause in the f50? Reckon he would be just as dangerous up forward.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I understand what you are saying but I don't agree.
    Unless he gives a clear indication that he doesn't want to be playing football with us then we need to keep him.
    - He has a large contract that other interested clubs would have a problem accommodating
    - Us 'chipping in' some of his salary to another club isn't a good outcome
    - We would be unlikely to get a fair market value on any compensation unless a few teams tried to outbid each other.

We have a new coach and a clean slate so the past is just that and any bridges burned last year can be fixed. Lake should want to play footy with his mates and we need him to step up. I think he will be with us so the trick is getting him back to wanting to play for us and that shouldn't be too hard.
    Taking all that into account I would rather any of those options than our highest paid player spitting the dummy and developing a horrible culture internally. When you get that much money you are under the microscope from every angle including team mates so it could become even more fragile internally.

If his mind not 100% set on being a Western Bulldogs player then he's got to go IMO. He shouldn't need to be persuaded to stay he should want to be here after all he committed to the club for 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the article seemed to lean towards him staying. The meetings with Paul have been positive, he's told his management they were positive. I can fully understand Brian's uncertainties - when you're going through a sustained period of not being able to do what you want to do, to the extent that you need to have drugs to even attempt it, you begin to wonder, is it all worth it, why don't I try something/where else?

I say, get him healthy (both physically and mentally), get him out on the track with his mates, and get the best out of him in the next couple of years. All-Australian talent doesn't just evaporate.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

If his mind not 100% set on being a Western Bulldogs player then he's got to go IMO. He shouldn't need to be persuaded to stay he should want to be here after all he committed to the club for 4 years.
    This goes back to when I used the word unless.
    McCartney speaks to him and says something along the lines of I have heard you might not be happy to stay with us? If Lake's response is yes he'd like to look elsewhere then we agree to that and look at getting the best outcome. If however, Lake says he wants to stay then we check his level of commitment and if that measures up we look at getting him as fit as we can.

We need him in the side but he has to want to do it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I am still none the wiser whether he is staying or going.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

He's staying

Post Thanks / Like

Great!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

If he plays forward is it deep or CHF? Got to keep him and Jones out of each others way...
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Could not have said it any better Lake needs to go.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 24-09-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Lake and Jones up front would be great but keep Lake alternating I'm excited about next season, new coach with a fit Lake and Cooney we will be worrying a few sides well done to Brian for staying now let's get him right for his own good not just ours.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 24-09-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo