Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's still a Dog's life for Lake

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Taking all that into account I would rather any of those options than our highest paid player spitting the dummy and developing a horrible culture internally. When you get that much money you are under the microscope from every angle including team mates so it could become even more fragile internally.

If his mind not 100% set on being a Western Bulldogs player then he's got to go IMO. He shouldn't need to be persuaded to stay he should want to be here after all he committed to the club for 4 years.
    Coons is our highest paid player, Lake is getting roughly what we offered Ward. He is not a leader so I doubt his mental attitude will have as much effect on the club as that of say Boyd or Morris. If you take an optimistic view what if a little faith is all he needed after a year of people questioning his commitment?

Were you of the view that Sydney should have traded O'Keefe when he wanted out a couple of years ago? Callan Ward's mind was not 100% set on being a Bulldogs player this year nor was Harbrow's last year. How did you rate their years? Chris Grant in 96?

You don't trade champions, and you especially don't trade them for peanuts.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if you only look for a negative that's all you'll find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Lake and Jones up front would be great but keep Lake alternating I'm excited about next season, new coach with a fit Lake and Cooney we will be worrying a few sides well done to Brian for staying now let's get him right for his own good not just ours.
    Cooney will never be fully fit, his knee will always be a concern. Brian has a history of a hip complaint but hopefully with good management we will reap some rewards.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post

Were you of the view that Sydney should have traded O'Keefe when he wanted out a couple of years ago? Callan Ward's mind was not 100% set on being a Bulldogs player this year nor was Harbrow's last year. How did you rate their years? Chris Grant in 96?
    Fair point, I'm sure things can be smoothed over it's just that I have my concerns with were our list is right now and the effect of a disgruntled player may have on that. I don't want a shitty culture growing any stronger in our club. In regards to Ward to be honest I'm pretty pissed off with the players for not taking the Ward switch more personally. I maybe reading into it to much but this comes across as the players are not united to the club which is what I found so disappointing.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if you only look for a negative that's all you'll find.
    I think that's a fairly unfair barb thrown my way. Yeah I'm very pessimistic about Lake but I think my concerns are valid. I could also be saying to everyone that thinks it will all turn out fine and dandy to stop looking through rose colored glasses.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have a good full back other than Lake and people want him to play forward, bizarre!

Post Thanks / Like

Coons is our highest paid player, Lake is getting roughly what we offered Ward. He is not a leader so I doubt his mental attitude will have as much effect on the club as that of say Boyd or Morris. If you take an optimistic view what if a little faith is all he needed after a year of people questioning his commitment?

You don't trade champions, and you especially don't trade them for peanuts.

I'm thinking Templeton at the end of 82, at least we got a packet for him. Templeton's body was questionable, so is Lake's.

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    We don't have a good full back other than Lake and people want him to play forward, bizarre!
    Marko is servicable enough, Lake to go forward. What I think is bizarre is people saying that Jones and Lake will get in each others way. Hasn't anyone every heard of a key forward combination?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

This doen't look to bad:

HFF: Panos HF: Jones HFF: Veszpremi
    FP: T.Hill FF: Lake FP: Grant

Plus Cooney, Dahlhaus, Minson and Hooper. I think we'll have enough fire power, it will how it gets there will be the problem.
    Last edited by Hotdog60; 24-09-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard Brendan McCartney on the ABC saying He's had a phone call and a long meeting with Brian. Confirmed he's staying and will play full back.
    Some here very quick to write off Lake, will be interested if we get an apology or two if Lake returns to his previous form!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm thinking Templeton at the end of 82, at least we got a packet for him. Templeton's body was questionable, so is Lake's.

Marko is servicable enough, Lake to go forward. What I think is bizarre is people saying that Jones and Lake will get in each others way. Hasn't anyone every heard of a key forward combination?
    I don't think Marko has a long term career in the AFL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    This doen't look to bad:

HFF: Panos HF: Jones HFF: Veszpremi
    FP: T.Hill FF: Lake FP: Jones

Plus Cooney, Dahlhaus, Minson and Hooper. I think we'll have enough fire power, it will how it gets there will be the problem.
    So Tom Hill is suddenly in our best 22, ha not even played at Willi 1sts has he?
    Panos is still on the rookie list and Hooper will be lucky to be on the list in 12 mths time.
    You will need to come up with somethimhpg a lot better than the above forward line to convince me.
    Do we have 2 Jones?

Post Thanks / Like

So Tom Hill is suddenly in our best 22, ha not even played at Willi 1sts has he?
    Panos is still on the rookie list and Hooper will be lucky to be on the list in 12 mths time.
    You will need to come up with somethimhpg a lot better than the above forward line to convince me.
    Do we have 2 Jones?
    Edited I meant Grant. Maybe not straight away but there is potential. Hooper is a iffy but he has played well at Willy so it depends how he presents next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Marko has a long term career in the AFL
    Me either, but his game can probably hold up long enough next year to have a look at Lake forward. Anyway, I have back and forwarded on this one so I'll leave it alone now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Ward offered over $500k per year?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a proven formula for a bad year in the AFL it is

NO FULL PRESEASON= NO GOOD! Just ask Dids!

I'm not sure why he has copped so much flakk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This goes back to when I used the word unless.
    McCartney speaks to him and says something along the lines of I have heard you might not be happy to stay with us? If Lake's response is yes he'd like to look elsewhere then we agree to that and look at getting the best outcome. If however, Lake says he wants to stay then we check his level of commitment and if that measures up we look at getting him as fit as we can.

We need him in the side but he has to want to do it.
    Heard McCartney on 774 this afternoon. Basically said he spoke to Brian once by phone then had a long meeting with him. The main gist of their discussion was Lake is happy to play with the dogs, and will play fullback. McCartney believes in playing players in the position where they are best suited or have the best ability to play in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Heard McCartney on 774 this afternoon. Basically said he spoke to Brian once by phone then had a long meeting with him. The main gist of their discussion was Lake is happy to play with the dogs, and will play fullback. McCartney believes in playing players in the position where they are best suited or have the best ability to play in.
    Common sense approach
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"