Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's still a Dog's life for Lake

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    There is a proven formula for a bad year in the AFL it is

NO FULL PRESEASON= NO GOOD! Just ask Dids!

I'm not sure why he has copped so much flakk.
    Perfect example Didak. No pre-season looks injured still, getting a pre- season is just unbelieveably important

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Fair point, I'm sure things can be smoothed over it's just that I have my concerns with were our list is right now and the effect of a disgruntled player may have on that. I don't want a shitty culture growing any stronger in our club. In regards to Ward to be honest I'm pretty pissed off with the players for not taking the Ward switch more personally. I maybe reading into it to much but this comes across as the players are not united to the club which is what I found so disappointing.

I think that's a fairly unfair barb thrown my way. Yeah I'm very pessimistic about Lake but I think my concerns are valid. I could also be saying to everyone that thinks it will all turn out fine and dandy to stop looking through rose colored glasses.
    I agree with being annoyed with the players not taking Callan's departure personally. Johnno, Bubba, Darce and Chris have stated a few times that they weren't happy with Nathan Brown's exit. But call me an optimist (you'd be the first one) but I think a new senior coach with (hopefully) some new assistants may be as good as a change in environment for Lakey.

I agree that your concerns are valid and you are correct that we can't just expect things to be fine and dandy but Lake qualifies for the veterans list soon, his currency is very low and any club who would want him will probably ask us to pay part of his salary. When you look at the risk versus the reward it's fairly obvious keeping Brian is a better idea than shipping him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Was Ward offered over $500k per year?
    It has been widely reported that Ward was offered $450, 000 a year for 3-5 years (depending on reports). Lake is apparently on the same. Now if you have some inside info please share it with the rest of us. If not here are some of my sources...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews...701047967.html

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/w...830-1jk5s.html

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with Gmo on this. Lake deserves a chance and if he is no good then bad luck. Trading him now and you would get unders. The guy is a champion full back. Better than Scarlett for the two years prior to this. He gets injured and we say piss off???? No way.

Post Thanks / Like

Really good news, hopefuly he will back to full fitness next year and back to playing good footy for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I disagree with Gmo on this. Lake deserves a chance and if he is no good then bad luck. Trading him now and you would get unders. The guy is a champion full back. Better than Scarlett for the two years prior to this. He gets injured and we say piss off???? No way.
    This
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Perfect example Didak. No pre-season looks injured still, getting a pre- season is just unbelieveably important
    maybe we need to let Brian know how important this is because at present his pre-season takes a back seat to his holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    More to it than injury. If that was just the case then I'd agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This
    Quality post as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

More to it than injury. If that was just the case then I'd agree with you.

Quality post as usual.
    Do you know this for fact, or is it just an assumption?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    maybe we need to let Brian know how important this is because at present his pre-season takes a back seat to his holidays.
    True good call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Do you know this for fact, or is it just an assumption?
    Bit of both, I've got some pretty reliable sources and can read between the lines on what's been said in the media so pretty much the same as anyone who just says it's just injury or bad luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit of both, I've got some pretty reliable sources and can read between the lines on what's been said in the media so pretty much the same as anyone who just says it's just injury or bad luck.
    Fair enough.

According to McCartney he's a required player so I can't see him going anywhere.
    Last edited by chef; 25-09-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Injury is fully to blame, if he hadnt had injuries all would have been good, he would have had a full pre season etc etc...
    Its what grew from having injuries and operations that caused the tension and created other issues.
    Obviously pressure built on player and coaches due to us starting to lose games and the season not panning out as planned.
    Media start to see this and stories are written, true or not.
    Snowballed, no injuries , no snowball thus it was due to Brians injuries.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quality post as usual.
    Any need to make a comment? I don't think so.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad Brian is staying. Whatever the reason(s) he had a shocking year but let's look at the great years he played before that. Everyone loved him. If he wants to stay and start afresh let's all get behind him instead of bagging him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Injury is fully to blame, if he hadnt had injuries all would have been good, he would have had a full pre season etc etc...
    Its what grew from having injuries and operations that caused the tension and created other issues.
    Obviously pressure built on player and coaches due to us starting to lose games and the season not panning out as planned.
    Media start to see this and stories are written, true or not.
    Snowballed, no injuries , no snowball thus it was due to Brians injuries.
    Totally agree with this post. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lake have three big operations? Plenty of players take a long time to get over one major operation let alone three. No preseason is the killer imo. You are always playing catch up with the players who have had a solid preseason. Possibly throw in some other off-field stuff and you don't have a recipe for a successful season. I simply refuse to believe that a guy with Brian's ability would have lost it all so quickly to the point where he'll never play well again. As for trading him - do we trade Cooney as well on the back of one crap year?