Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever happens today - Pies and Cats have been brilliant

Just looking back at this season (and the few that have passed us), the performances of these two sides over an extended period - especially the Cats - have been unbelievable. I really don't know if or when we will ever see such a period of sustained excellence from a group of players - even in the Brions 3 flags/4 GF's in the early 000's they weren't finishing first on the ladder/barely losing a game.

Basically, they come to play every single week. Never lose - never, ever, ever get smashed - and this all seems to happen with players in, players out, new players, young players, old players, slow players...the just commit to the contest and get the job done.

I would like to hate Collingwood and Geelong - but I just can't. They are good, honest teams who have worked hard and deserve their success...and I think today will be a game for the ages.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whatever happens today - Pies and Cats have been brilliant

It's a little ho-hum for me. Can't escape the hype.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just looking back at this season (and the few that have passed us), the performances of these two sides over an extended period - especially the Cats - have been unbelievable. I really don't know if or when we will ever see such a period of sustained excellence from a group of players - even in the Brions 3 flags/4 GF's in the early 000's they weren't finishing first on the ladder/barely losing a game.

Basically, they come to play every single week. Never lose - never, ever, ever get smashed - and this all seems to happen with players in, players out, new players, young players, old players, slow players...the just commit to the contest and get the job done.

I would like to hate Collingwood and Geelong - but I just can't. They are good, honest teams who have worked hard and deserve their success...and I think today will be a game for the ages.
    I agree, particularly with the bolded part.

Two teams with plenty of great players. But even the great players work so hard, it's difficult not to admire them.

It's a shame the weather may be a factor in affecting the game quality, otherwise it could be an amazing game. It still might be, but for different reasons.

I've got the Cats winning, but only on recent form. Grand Finals are funny things.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually got ultimate respect for the team Collingwood put out on the field each week. I just couldn't stand their supporters if they won. I marvelled watching Geelong last week. Christ they win every week with Podsiadly and Hawkins as their key forwards. They lost the best player in the league and got better. Bartel is probably my favourite non Bulldogs player at this point
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I have no feelings either way for Geelong, but I do admire the way they can keep winning. As for the filth, loath everything about them. So go Cats.

On another point, give them our footy department and budget also the fan base would they be in the same position. Just food for thought.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Well said mjp.

Looking forward to a cracker today.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting watching some of the inside football shows on fox, going by them Geelong should win by a canter.
    They bought up some stats of the round 8 clash(wouldnt bring in the last game as it was irrelevant)also looked at Collingwoods press etc in the last month and its dropped off considerably,where as Geelong have improved.
    Injuries were looked at also, was a good analysis, but in saying that the Malthouse factor isnt measurable, I want the cats to win so bad, Collingwood chant and the followers at work driving me nuts, finding the cats supporters a lot more bearable and they are our neighbours to an extent.

Other reasons, our new coach is from Geelong(before a year at bombers) and we have a couple of x cats playing for us.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I posed the question the other day, and mjp touched on it in his post, but do Geelong become the greatest team of the modern era with a win today?

For me, 3 flags over 5 years is slightly better, especially with a change in coach and loss of Ablett. Phenomenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I posed the question the other day, and mjp touched on it in his post, but do Geelong become the greatest team of the modern era with a win today?

For me, 3 flags over 5 years is slightly better, especially with a change in coach and loss of Ablett. Phenomenal.
    And whos to say its over??
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    It's a little ho-hum for me. Can't escape the hype.
    Same for me Chops but a few beers today and things will fire up. If the game is as good as the hype though it could be something special.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

Brisbane for me. loved the way they played. Voss, Aker, Black, Brown, Lappin, the Scott twins, Leppa, White, Chris Johnston and Lynch. Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have a new found respect for the Cats. I really expected 2011 to be the fall of Geelong after a great run. I believed with Ablett gone, super coach Bomber gone, and with Mooney, Scarlett, Chapman etc getting that bit older, I expected a slide somewhat close to what the Dogs had this year. In fact at the beginning of the season I would have the Dogs and Geelong to have each others years. Sigh!
    But again we not only see Geelong in another GF, but they seem to be carrying some awesome momentum with them.
    Cats by 35pts
    (Selwood paying $8 for the Norm Smith FYI)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Geelong, irrespective of today's result, probably deserve to be ranked among the greatest teams of any era of football. In today's age of drafts, salary caps and equalisation policies, compromised draws (I don't think they've had an easy run in this regard), to play in four Grand finals in five years and make a preliminary final in the year they've missed the big one, and to win two, potentially three of them, is phenomenal. To make a Grand Final with a first year coach after losing the best player in the league, that's just out of this world.

Collingwood? Well, I can't recall a team with the ability to just doestroy the morale of an opposition team as they do. You look at the games against us, Adelaide, Essendon, among others, what was a contest for a fair period of the game turned into a bloodbath in a short period of time.

Looking forward to a cracking contest.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I like about Collingwood is their win-loss record. I loathe their conceit, their pompous buffoon of a president, their fans and everything about them. I hope Geelong wins, and wins comfortably. Couldn't give a stuff whether it's a good contest or not, so long as the Filth taste defeat on the big stage.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

We can only dream that one day we can be this good.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.