Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Malthouse gooorn

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Great coach. Arrogant pig and ex filth coach.
    Contrary to what some toddle on about Malthouse is a first class coach and did a very good job at our footy club!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Also ex Bulldog coach who bought us some sort of success.
    Lost us 1985 prelim with bad coaching and walked out when the merger was announced. Plus we had the players in 1986 to 1988 to make more finals but he couldn't get us up. Forced a brownlow medallist out of the club because he couldn't handle him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Forced a brownlow medallist out of the club because he couldn't handle him.
    Kicked a Brownlow medalist out because he wouldn't do as he was told and had little concept of playing team football.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to watching him comment on the footy next year. Seems like a good dude.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Kicked a Brownlow medalist out because he wouldn't do as he was told and had little concept of playing team football.
    Which is exactly what Mick was about.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Lost us 1985 prelim with bad coaching and walked out when the merger was announced. Plus we had the players in 1986 to 1988 to make more finals but he couldn't get us up. Forced a brownlow medallist out of the club because he couldn't handle him.
    You are dellusional if you believe that. Mick was never into individuals doing their own thing, it is about the team and has proven it by his success.
    Again we stick up for the player instead of looking at the bigger picture and what is required to be a successful side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I thought Hardie was a sensational player for us and he was certainly one that put bums on seats but Bornadogs view on Hardie being given the flick just doesn't acknowledge the reasons why and assigns 100% of the blame at Malthouse.
    I don't believe that to be correct in any way.

Mick should have handled it a lot better but in my opinion the reasons why people ignore Hardies role within that decision is just a convenient memory lapse.

In the years to come when we reflect on Eade's time with us do we blame him for keeping Akermanis too long and the distractions that decision cost us in the 2010 season or do we take in the bigger picture that he actually did an outstanding job but we just game up a bit short? To me it's too easy to major in the minors.

Mick did his best with us and like a few others, we came up short when it counted. I can't hold a grudge with him for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Micks only down fall is he is a robotic coach, he assigns you a job within the team and no matter who you are or think you are is irrelevant.
    This is what team is about but you must have the players with the right mind set to do the job he wants you to do as an individual.

Brad Hardie wasnt a natural tagger it just wasnt in his blood, in those days as a footballer you didnt tag so much you ran and got the ball if you could, Brad backed himself it was his football nature.

Mick was in his junior years as a coach, he learnt from this and recruited players with the mind set to do the job he wanted at the Eagles and Collingwood, a great coach who cut his teeth with us
    I dont blame Brad or Mick it was a learning curve, I must admit the jumper tantrum wasnt good though.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    You are dellusional if you believe that. Mick was never into individuals doing their own thing, it is about the team and has proven it by his success.
    Again we stick up for the player instead of looking at the bigger picture and what is required to be a successful side.
    I thought Hardie was a sensational player for us and he was certainly one that put bums on seats but Bornadogs view on Hardie being given the flick just doesn't acknowledge the reasons why and assigns 100% of the blame at Malthouse.
    I don't believe that to be correct in any way.

Mick should have handled it a lot better but in my opinion the reasons why people ignore Hardies role within that decision is just a convenient memory lapse.

In the years to come when we reflect on Eade's time with us do we blame him for keeping Akermanis too long and the distractions that decision cost us in the 2010 season or do we take in the bigger picture that he actually did an outstanding job but we just game up a bit short? To me it's too easy to major in the minors.

Mick did his best with us and like a few others, we came up short when it counted. I can't hold a grudge with him for that.
    Never said it was 100% coach' s fault.

There will always be a player that has disciplinary issues or doesn't follow instructions, but the good coaches will be able to handle these situations and bring these players back into the fold. I am not saying I know the full story but to lose such a good player as Hardie something tells me there is a major problem.

A good case in point is Barry Hall. Roos didnot not know how to handle him and in fact didn't even speak to him one on one and in the end sent him a text to say he is finished. Ask yourself, why was Hall so good for us in the last two years. In my opinion, every sitaution can be handled, maybe not 100% of the time but things can be worked out.

Mick in the 80's came across as a grumpy person who took no shit and the best way to resolve the problem is to get rid of the person.

Me, well, I was not impressed with him when he was with the Dogs. Ok, he was a first year coach, and I can cut some slack, but I am still mad that we didn't play more finals and even a GF during that period (1984 to 1989) as we certainly had the players.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Aker was kept one year too long. I wasn't happy that we gave him that extra year and that is not me speaking in hindsight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think Micks only down fall is he is a robotic coach, he assigns you a job within the team and no matter who you are or think you are is irrelevant.
    This is what team is about but you must have the players with the right mind set to do the job he wants you to do as an individual.

Brad Hardie wasnt a natural tagger it just wasnt in his blood, in those days as a footballer you didnt tag so much you ran and got the ball if you could, Brad backed himself it was his football nature.

Mick was in his junior years as a coach, he learnt from this and recruited players with the mind set to do the job he wanted at the Eagles and Collingwood, a great coach who cut his teeth with us
    I dont blame Brad or Mick it was a learning curve, I must admit the jumper tantrum wasnt good though.
    The jumper tantrum was discussing and Hardie crossed the line.

Mick watched Hardie all year take on players and run up the ground to create goals, which those days was unheard of. Yet in the prelim he put Hardie on Matthews in the last quarter and the rest is history.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Aker was kept one year too long. I wasn't happy that we gave him that extra year and that is not me speaking in hindsight.
    But we obviously don't hold Eade responsible for Akermanis as you have with the Hardie/Malthouse example.
    It's time to let it go Bornadog

Post Thanks / Like

The jumper tantrum was discussing and Hardie crossed the line.

Mick watched Hardie all year take on players and run up the ground to create goals, which those days was unheard of. Yet in the prelim he put Hardie on Matthews in the last quarter and the rest is history.
    As exciting as he was to watch, Hardie had no defensive side to his game. Even in the 80's this was unheard of.
    If he was an onballer or forward, it would not have been as noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Giving Eagleton another year was even more ridiculous. Keeping him on because we were in a premiership window and having an extra mature body is fine, but Eagleton never played a good game against a top team in his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Laidley is a chance to become an Assistant with us.