Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Malthouse gooorn

You have to be kidding ^^ . We played against two behemoth's of the VFL in Essendon and Hawthorn with no money and no salary cap. Hardie played on his own terms and hence in a team environment that's a death knell! Malthouse squeezed every little bit out of an average group after 85. After that season Carlton picked up the best talent in the country and we simply couldn't compete.Yeah Mick was a tough, grumpy old bastard ( young then) but a coach runs the show not the players ( hardie)ran his own show and hence he was out the door and rightly so!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    You have to be kidding ^^ . We played against two behemoth's of the VFL in Essendon and Hawthorn with no money and no salary cap. Hardie played on his own terms and hence in a team environment that's a death knell! Malthouse squeezed every little bit out of an average group after 85. After that season Carlton picked up the best talent in the country and we simply couldn't compete.Yeah Mick was a tough, grumpy old bastard ( young then) but a coach runs the show not the players ( hardie)ran his own show and hence he was out the door and rightly so!
    We had Essendon's measure in 1985 and beat Hawthorn during the year. We fluffed the first final against Hawthorn, but had our chance in the prelim, but unfortunately bad coaching let us down.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was either too young when Mick was at Footscray or not alive so I won't comment on that time. But the Malthouse I saw was a good coach gifted with even better support structures. West Coast and Collingwood are the richest teams in the AFL and at the time Mick coached them the Eagles were basically the W.A. state side. Basically he underachieved at both clubs. Don't forget that iat the start of 2010 he had coached for the longest period of time without a premiership. His penchant for good ordinary role players was strange (check out the Pies team of 02-03) as was his love for very specific players (he kept Buckley and Clement a year too long, and Rocca 2-3 years too long). He left us like a rat leaving a sinking ship, and did the same with West Coast with a year left on his contract. That is why I felt that his hand wringing about the succession plan was a bit rich.

So taken all together he was a very good coach who coached some very good but also very cashed-up teams to only 3 premierships in 21 years (not including 5 years of mediocrity with us), his teams seemed to have some trouble winning when it mattered most and his coaching decisions were sometimes baffling (i.e., Hardie on Matthews, playing Davis in big games, choosing J Brown to be the one they roughed up in the GF, playing injured players too often), but he got much better with most of this as he aged (especially his man management) but he was still prone to an emotional outburst (Milne "rapist" comment) and playing players underdone or injured (Maxwell, Didak, Reid in the grand final).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We had Essendon's measure in 1985 and beat Hawthorn during the year. We fluffed the first final against Hawthorn, but had our chance in the prelim, but unfortunately bad coaching let us down.
    Mate get some therapy urgently!
    We had Essendon's measure? We got them early at home and copped a hiding at their shithole. ( we were getting mudered when it mattered)Got taken apart in the prelim by one of the greatest players of all time ( Matthews) and a great team! They had Dermie , Bombres had Vander Haar we had Peart ( no disrespect). Coaching had SFA to do with it we weren't good enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Mate get some therapy urgently!
    We had Essendon's measure? We got them early at home and copped a hiding at their shithole. ( we were getting mudered when it mattered)Got taken apart in the prelim by one of the greatest players of all time ( Matthews) and a great team! They had Dermie , Bombres had Vander Haar we had Peart ( no disrespect). Coaching had SFA to do with it we weren't good enough
    Therapy, really

We beat Essendon by 41 points at home and they beat us by 4 goals at Windy Hill, hardly murder. It was a well known fact at the time Essendon preferred to play Hawthorn in the Granny than us. Matthews may have been one of the greatest but he was on his last legs, didn't get a kick till the last quarter and we had the wrong bloke on him.

The scores at 3/4 time were 10.7 to 10.8 anyone's game. We also had our stars in that team, Dougie at his peak, Beasley had 100 goals up, Kennedy at Fullback no slouch, Purser (rated a few years ago, by Malthouse as the best Ruckman he has coached), Wallis, Royal, and so on. Make no mistake that was a top team. Yes maybe we weren't good enough, but all I know is Hardie on Matthews was a big mistake.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Malthouse gooorn

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    I was either too young when Mick was at Footscray or not alive so I won't comment on that time. But the Malthouse I saw was a good coach gifted with even better support structures. West Coast and Collingwood are the richest teams in the AFL and at the time Mick coached them the Eagles were basically the W.A. state side. Basically he underachieved at both clubs. Don't forget that iat the start of 2010 he had coached for the longest period of time without a premiership. His penchant for good ordinary role players was strange (check out the Pies team of 02-03) as was his love for very specific players (he kept Buckley and Clement a year too long, and Rocca 2-3 years too long). He left us like a rat leaving a sinking ship, and did the same with West Coast with a year left on his contract. That is why I felt that his hand wringing about the succession plan was a bit rich.

So taken all together he was a very good coach who coached some very good but also very cashed-up teams to only 3 premierships in 21 years (not including 5 years of mediocrity with us), his teams seemed to have some trouble winning when it mattered most and his coaching decisions were sometimes baffling (i.e., Hardie on Matthews, playing Davis in big games, choosing J Brown to be the one they roughed up in the GF, playing injured players too often), but he got much better with most of this as he aged (especially his man management) but he was still prone to an emotional outburst (Milne "rapist" comment) and playing players underdone or injured (Maxwell, Didak, Reid in the grand final).
    Good post said it better than I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Really, have a look what Hawthorn did after and before 85!
    Football was more conventional then back pocket on FP. Hardie went walk about unwilling to do the right thing. Yeah I agree Matthews was on his last legs but that's a hallmark of a champion , to get up of the canvas. As for the Windy Hill game Dogs were being thrashed at three quarter time, good comeback but when the game was there to be one we were getting done! My legacy of Mick is taking a Fitzroy reserves player and making him into a Victorian CHB. One Peter Foster

Post Thanks / Like

The scores at 3/4 time were 10.7 to 10.8 anyone's game. We also had our stars in that team, Dougie at his peak, Beasley had 100 goals up, Kennedy at Fullback no slouch, Purser (rated a few years ago, by Malthouse as the best Ruckman he has coached), Wallis, Royal, and so on. Make no mistake that was a top team. Yes maybe we weren't good enough, but all I know is Hardie on Matthews was a big mistake.
    Hardie was the reason Matthews was benched in the first place - he smashed Lethal early, so surely Malthouse was well within his right to give Hardie first crack on Matthews when he came back on at the start of the final qtr. It didn't work out for us but I can't blame Malthouse at all for this match-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Hardie was the reason Matthews was benched in the first place - he smashed Lethal early, so surely Malthouse was well within his right to give Hardie first crack on Matthews when he came back on at the start of the final qtr. It didn't work out for us but I can't blame Malthouse at all for this match-up.
    Matthews was a champion and like all champions he picked himself up.
    If only he had the Cheque Book the cheats had.
    Malthouse I don't think is as good as Sheedy or Jeans, but he's a bloody good coach!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    But in Mick's world, it has been difficult to get the same group together with any continuity.

Funny, it didn't really affect them until today.
    I'm glad the Pies lost but it has affected them for the past 6-7 weeks. They were terrible against Hawthorn for 3 qtrs and pretty much stumbled across the finishing line.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't that the game that Fossie didn't play? Fossie had torn Dermie a new arsehole the previous few times he had played on him. Derm dominated in that game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wasn't that the game that Fossie didn't play? Fossie had torn Dermie a new arsehole the previous few times he had played on him. Derm dominated in that game.
    I don't reemeber much about that game. All I know is we got thrashed and towards the end of the game a seagul pooped on my head, that was the last straw and I left.

Post Thanks / Like

Was that the year some prick tripped Fossie and broke his leg?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Was that the year some prick tripped Fossie and broke his leg?
    Paul Dear, that was 92.

Billy Brownless wouldn't have kicked 9 on Fossie.