Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong assistant coach Matthew Egan on Western Bulldogs' wish list

Honestly the club could appoint Vince Lombardi as an assistant( if he was still with us), and some still wouldn't be happy.Got no idea how Egan would go,and who knows!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    I also disagree with your premise that anyone who would question the authority of someone they believe to be a peer or unworthy would be unsuccessful.
    Good luck with that in your future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Good luck with that in your future.
    No need to get flippant or personal. It gets tiresome and drives people away from these sorts of forums. Also I'm not a fan of being condscended to. I expect it on BigFooty not so much here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Honestly the club could appoint Vince Lombardi as an assistant( if he was still with us), and some still wouldn't be happy.Got no idea how Egan would go,and who knows!!
    What great quotes we'd get!

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? "
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I can see theimmortalmike's point of view, in that I personally would find it hard to have a coach who was younger than me, telling me what to do, especially when said coach hasn't done a great deal in the game himself. I'd have preferred the new coach to be one with experience in the league, and so too the assistants. Just a personal view, nothing wrong with it.

As stated elsewhere, none of us can truly tell how it'll all pan out. As every year, we'll just sit down, buckle up and go for a ride - hopefully a good one.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Vince Lombardi?! What the hell does he know about Football...

I think I've been misrepresenting my views a bit here. I agree with Remi's post. I have no idea how well any coach would go. I have no idea on the inner workings of the club or of Egan's skill set. I just made a possible suggestion (that I don't completely agree with) that an argument could be made for. But man playing the devil's advocate is hard on here...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    FWIW, I can see theimmortalmike's point of view, in that I personally would find it hard to have a coach who was younger than me, telling me what to do, especially when said coach hasn't done a great deal in the game himself. I'd have preferred the new coach to be one with experience in the league, and so too the assistants. Just a personal view, nothing wrong with it.

As stated elsewhere, none of us can truly tell how it'll all pan out. As every year, we'll just sit down, buckle up and go for a ride - hopefully a good one.
    Cheers Andrew. That's pretty much all I was trying to say. Along with hoping that our players are not like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't care if he was the janitor from the local primary school providing he helps bring home the silverware.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

No need to get flippant or personal. It gets tiresome and drives people away from these sorts of forums. Also I'm not a fan of being condscended to. I expect it on BigFooty not so much here.
    You've argued your point pretty well - and that's what a forum is about. I appreciated the different response and hope you continue to post your own opinion. Any reasoned opinion should be treated with respect.

The young age is a bit of a knock, and considering he hasn't coached at a high level, it's risky and possible some players may find it difficult to 'listen' and 'learn' from him. However, if we believe he's an outstanding candidate, then go get him. If players let their egos get ahead of them, they need a reality check or should be moved on.

Thing is, at our club, we're more likely to unearth great coaches rather than lure great coaches.

If we believe Egan is the right fit, I'm happy to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

He was coaching the VFL team not Geelong. Also just because someone comes from a successful culture doesn't mean they themselves will be successful.

I do agree with your next two statements. We need to trust in Macca's judgement and hope it works out. But that doesn't mean I can make a suggestion or question something that may not feel right.
    I do understand what you mean. As an example, my daughter has been participating in flat water kayaking for the past 5 years. She commenced her interest in Kayaking through her school and participated in various races etc for the first few years. She got to a point a few years ago that the school programme was not giving her the training and coaching to the level she wanted. The school kayak club has 60 girls and they did not want to lose her and offered her an assistant coaching role. My daughter did the right thing and enrolled in a coaching course etc.

The first day of coaching, some of the girls that were her age complained and virtually abused her saying what do you know about kayaking, we have been doing this with you for the past 3 years (this was beginning of last year). These girls didn't know my daughter was in an elite squad and had been training 6 days per week etc etc.

She has had to earn their respect and all is good now. Egan may encounter similar issues, but the players may not outwardly express their view but may think this way.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Argument is all void now. Egan has been signed as an assistant by the Bombers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I do understand what you mean. As an example, my daughter has been participating in flat water kayaking for the past 5 years. She commenced her interest in Kayaking through her school and participated in various races etc for the first few years. She got to a point a few years ago that the school programme was not giving her the training and coaching to the level she wanted. The school kayak club has 60 girls and they did not want to lose her and offered her an assistant coaching role. My daughter did the right thing and enrolled in a coaching course etc.

The first day of coaching, some of the girls that were her age complained and virtually abused her saying what do you know about kayaking, we have been doing this with you for the past 3 years (this was beginning of last year). These girls didn't know my daughter was in an elite squad and had been training 6 days per week etc etc.

She has had to earn their respect and all is good now. Egan may encounter similar issues, but the players may not outwardly express their view but may think this way.
    Its hardly the same your talking players employed, paid big money to do what whoever asks them to, this is proffessional, to me its not an issue, a big club is not going to hire a bloke if he has no respect.

I dont really think its a matter of leading hand telling someone what to do its more working as a team to get the best out of each other.

I am nearly 50 and I have kids of around 20 who are my boss, I dont look at it as they have no experience(which they havent) I do my job and they are there to help me achieve objectives.
    Quite funny actually because in actual effect I am their boss if I dont reach targets they get questioned.
    Coaches are much the same if the team doesnt perform whos out the door?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Egan joins the Bombers - now confirmed
    Last edited by bornadog; 05-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Argument is all void now. Egan has been signed as an assistant by the Bombers.
    Yup, so while I believe that our players wouldn't have had a problem with him, I sure do hope that the Essendon mob are immature (and possibly insecure) enough to have big problems with him and thus nullify any benefit he might have brought to them. (And yes, sometimes footy brings out the best in me!)
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    So Scott's age (35) has been an issue down at Geelong? His senior playing group is nearly as old as him. Furthermore, there are so many early 30 something assistant coaches going around it's not funny. Why does someone have to be an old fart before they are any good?
    Scott had a full playing career in premiership teams under one of the greatest coaches of all time, and is now 35. Egan had one good year and is 28.

Much happier with Grant than Egan on the surface.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Scott had a full playing career in premiership teams under one of the greatest coaches of all time, and is now 35. Egan had one good year and is 28.

Much happier with Grant than Egan on the surface.
    You were talking about age in your post, not experience, but I get your point, although I still think 28 and 35 are not far apart for a player who is 30.

I think Egan and Grant would have performed vastly different roles, so it's not one for the other for mine. I'm sure if Egan had not been snaffled up Macca would have them both there. Grant was a super player in my book.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.