Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong assistant coach Matthew Egan on Western Bulldogs' wish list

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Doesn't this fall in the same category as the "McCartney never played AFL so how on earth will players respect him?" thread topic. I'm gonna say that surely our players are professional enough to recognise that as these guys are their coaches they are worth listening to.
    No because at least McCartney is older and has had 3 decades of coaching experience. What has Egan done other than have one very good year as a footballer. Craig Ellis was an All Australian CHB too...Plus there is the age thing he is basically a peer and both Morris and Brian are older than him. You'd hope these guys would be professional but I think it could be hard for them to take pointers from the guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    No because at least McCartney is older and has had 3 decades of coaching experience. What has Egan done other than have one very good year as a footballer. Craig Ellis was an All Australian CHB too...Plus there is the age thing he is basically a peer and both Morris and Brian are older than him.
    So What?

He brings to the table the ability to coach, which is the most important thing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong seems to have done okay with the head coach around the same age as some of the players.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

No because at least McCartney is older and has had 3 decades of coaching experience. What has Egan done other than have one very good year as a footballer. Craig Ellis was an All Australian CHB too...Plus there is the age thing he is basically a peer and both Morris and Brian are older than him. You'd hope these guys would be professional but I think it could be hard for them to take pointers from the guy.
    Ellis was never an All Australian CHB and really only had one decent year in 97. Egan also has the advantage of coming from Geelong which will add to the respect.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but if you're Brian Lake or Dale Morris how would you feel being told what to do by someone who is your age and was not even as good as you.
    Well premiership defenders like Scarlett, Milburn, Enright and all the others didn't seem to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So What?

He brings to the table the ability to coach, which is the most important thing.
    How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Geelong seems to have done okay with the head coach around the same age as some of the players.
    Yeah a 3 time premiership player who played under Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Ellis was never an All Australian CHB and really only had one decent year in 97. Egan also has the advantage of coming from Geelong which will add to the respect.
    He wasn't was he? My mistake. Was he in the squad? Agree with the Geelong aspect but still I hope the guy can actually coach.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Well premiership defenders like Scarlett, Milburn, Enright and all the others didn't seem to mind.
    He wasn't coaching them. My understanding is that he had a role coaching young VFL players.

Don't get me wrong if he's good get him but I was just raising a possibility. I personally would have trouble respecting his authority if I was Lake, Hargrave, Murph or Dale.

Post Thanks / Like

He wasn't coaching them. My understanding is that he had a role coaching young VFL players.
    This. His young age is a mark against him IMO.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong if he's good get him but I was just raising a possibility. I personally would have trouble respecting his authority if I was Lake, Hargrave, Murph or Dale.
    But going on this theory why should they respect the senior coach who hasn't even played AFL footy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But going on this theory why should they respect the senior coach who hasn't even played AFL footy?
    Or why should anyone at Collingwood respect Nathan Buckley, he didn't even win a premiership?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Or why should anyone at Collingwood respect Nathan Buckley, he didn't even win a premiership?
    Can you really compare a bloke who has played one exceptional year of football and has done not much else to a guy who has been a career coach for decades (most at AFL level) and Nathan Buckley (Brownlow medalist, 200ish gamer and club captain)?

It seems that it's all or nothing with some people, there are nuances and specific situations. Egan may be better off coaching inexperienced or lower level players until he has runs on the board unless our veterans have no problem with a younger bloke with less experience being in an AFL environment than them telling them what to do and giving them advice. Basically if I were a 30 year old 200+ gamer I'd have trouble taking a 28 year old guy who'd played 50ish games and coached some kids seriously. Surely that's not an unreasonable suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to leave the decision on assistant coaches to Brendan McCartney. Bloody hell, if he listened to some of the posters on this board he would be the most confused coach in the league.

Please remember, our club has not appeared in a Grand Final since 1961, so a few strategies from people who have experienced success from outside the club may be handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    This. His young age is a mark against him IMO.
    So Scott's age (35) has been an issue down at Geelong? His senior playing group is nearly as old as him. Furthermore, there are so many early 30 something assistant coaches going around it's not funny. Why does someone have to be an old fart before they are any good?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you really compare a bloke who has played one exceptional year of football and has done not much else to a guy who has been a career coach for decades (most at AFL level) and Nathan Buckley (Brownlow medalist, 200ish gamer and club captain)?

It seems that it's all or nothing with some people, there are nuances and specific situations. Egan may be better off coaching inexperienced or lower level players until he has runs on the board unless our veterans have no problem with a younger bloke with less experience being in an AFL environment than them telling them what to do and giving them advice. Basically if I were a 30 year old 200+ gamer I'd have trouble taking a 28 year old guy who'd played 50ish games and coached some kids seriously. Surely that's not an unreasonable suggestion!
    The point is any AFL player who would have a problem with authority as you suggest, like pretty much every other profession in life, will have a short and unsuccessful career.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know this?.
    Firstly he is a coach now at Geelong

Secondly, he is respected by BMac and he isnot going to take on someone that can't coach and that will make him look stupid.

You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    The point is any AFL player who would have a problem with authority as you suggest, like pretty much every other profession in life, will have a short and unsuccessful career.
    So respect for who is delivering the message means nothing. Strange that one of the first things (I think it was) Ling said was that the players really respected Brad Scott for his 3 premierships and being coached by Matthews and Brisbane's era of dominance. I also disagree with your premise that anyone who would question the authority of someone they believe to be a peer or unworthy would be unsuccessful.

I hope Egan is a good speaker and can get people onside quickly because his reputation certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Firstly he is a coach now at Geelong

Secondly, he is respected by BMac and he isnot going to take on someone that can't coach and that will make him look stupid.

You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with.
    He was coaching the VFL team not Geelong. Also just because someone comes from a successful culture doesn't mean they themselves will be successful.

I do agree with your next two statements. We need to trust in Macca's judgement and hope it works out. But that doesn't mean I can make a suggestion or question something that may not feel right.