Just when I was thrilled to have the footy back I had to run the gauntlet of Etihad's continuing management miasma.

Firstly their scanners couldn't read coterie group members' tickets, so it was off to another queue to get day passes.

Then of course, very limited food outlets were available because of Noah's recent flood has devastated the world's best and most advanced sporting venue. But were there signs or advice about what was available and where?

Sorry what was that Brian; speak up?

It would be too much trouble for management and might give the impression that the mug punters actually were worthy of consideration.

Oh, I understand now, I should feel grateful for being allowed to spend my hard earned at their wondrous venue.

Finally we get inside and up to our seats, but the food in the pie warmer in the coterie’s room had run out and we were told no food was allowed in from other outlets even within the venue.

Then at half time there were only two behind the bar at what was a sellout event. I don't blame the staff but the management just treats the customers as a captive market undeserving of any respect or adequate service let alone the quality service of which it boasts. Eventually a couple more were rustled up to help out behind the bar, but only two jugs of water were put out for such a large group. I thought the responsible service of alcohol demanded ready access to H2O, but then that’s probably everywhere except Etihad. It’s the sort of attention to detail that good hospitality managers regard as second nature… but I am talking about Etihad.

After the game I needed a quiet beer to release the tension and being in the Endeavour Room I expected a refreshing and cleansing ale. To my dismay it went flat while sitting on the bar between being poured and the bar staff getting a glass of wine for my partner. When I looked at the beers being poured at other taps they were all the same, no matter how the staff allowed the beer to drop from a considerable height into the glass the head this procedure produced died just as quickly.

Some thirty years ago I ran pubs and there were 3 reasons then that this phenomenon occurred. Firstly, very, very occasionally you got a bad barrel. We can rule that out in this case because it was evident across the range of beers being served. Second reason was adulteration, I would rule this out too, watering down beer was an overhyped event even then, today it would be suicidal, even with a captive audience. That to my knowledge only leaves poor hygiene. The two main reasons are lines not cleaned or not properly flushed or glasses not properly cleaned leaving either a residue of past contents or of detergent which will kill a beer quicker than anything.

Had we won and my spirits been high I would have done more than point out to the Bar Staff and the coterie president the inadequacies of the beer quality, but I’ve learned long ago that after a loss I don’t necessarily enjoy being patronized so I didn’t press my point and ask for the beverages manager.

After I withdrew a couple of female coterie members; the sort of mature people who have been the heart and soul of the club for generations, came up and spoke to me and they weren’t happy either. They had paid for the full lunch and at the bar, no table service is provided, they asked for a bottle of Chardonnay and were told it would cost $39. Now I’ve been known to spend that amount on a quality wine at a licensed restaurant and for a special occasion with proper table service, but for a bottle of the cheap plonk they provide, it amounts to daylight robbery.

Had any Etihad moments you care to pass on, I think their staff struggle under the overbearing stupidity and incompetence of a smug, self-satisfied and inward looking management culture?

I’d like to hear some good stories about their management, on the other hand why not take the opportunity to vent your spleen if you have experienced similar issues to mine.