Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
Slowing down to get the kick off does allow the opposition the chance to tackle you. If no one is around you then it's a smart move but I think most of the better players can kick well at full stride. If you are kicking it to a leading forward they don't have to second guess the timing of their leads.

Years ago players would jump in the air slightly to accept a handball and in the process lose a bit of momentum. I think West Coast were the first ones to make sure their players stopped it and they looked so much quicker than other sides.

If it can be taught to kick the ball well at near full pace it would certainly be an advantage.
I can remember as a kid watching Gary Dempsey palming the ball to Geoff Jennings and Ted Whitten Jr who would run into it it at top speed. As soon as they got the ball Templeton would start leading and the half forwards would start moving back and forth and sideways to take opponents out of his way and to make space. Then they would kick the ball into the space the other players had created so Templeton could mark it.

Guys like Whitten and Jennings were great kicks at top speed.