Had the chance to sit down and watch the game again and thought it was even more impressive in review.

Some observations on review

Forward Mix- Just such unselfish and coordinated efforts from all of the forwards. Ports backs were absolutely hopeless but we forced that upon them. There was some images of their backs talking between goals and the look on Jonas face just looked like he knew that had been exposed. Keep in mind that this Port team have not been scored against at all over the last two months.

Centre Bounce- Interesting to watch the impact on the positioning that having Martin/English combination has had. In the Brisbane game and towards the end of the year Bont was playing as a genuine sweeper at every centre bounce. He was holding his position defensively and didn't get on the burst at all. Last night he started in a more neutral position at almost every bounce and even attacking side occasionally. We didn't do any better in the taps really but they obviously have enormous faith in those guys to create a predictable contest and keep the hit out close. The only time Bont took up that defensive positioning was two bounces in the last two minutes of the first half.

Tempo- I mentioned during the week that Port and others have consistently managed to take speed out of the game when we get on top and deny us the ball. I also questioned whether they would be able to do it in a pressure final and I think we have the answer. That scoreboard pressure was so vital because when they went to do it they were just so far behind. They made errors when they tried to do it and were not as patient.

Forward Half Ground ball- I felt early in the Essnedon game we just were not getting enough at ground level forward of centre. What a turn around, Vandermeer, JJ and others with genuine front and centre crumbing goals or score involvements. Just huge in our game, clean and decisive.

Defensive Positioning- The ability for Williams (been slightly down), Duryea, Dale and Wood to come off their opponents and impact contests across half back is a massive weapon.

Treloar- Game high score involvements and 2nd most pressure acts.

Bont- Such a great leader, demanding but caring. Noticed he was filthy with Macrae for letting Wines score their first goal with some poor marking. I thought he looked a little ginger when turning and jumping so the two week gap will be great for him.

Dunkley- He was on different players at every stoppage so not sure he had a run with role or none that I could pick up with angles they give us. Did seem to be playing a specific role in stoppage structures though and obviously working off his opponent as a first base. Was engaged with body regardless of who he was on. Looks like he has some upper body strength back.

Smith- Unbelievable because he has so much improvement left, he missed tackles, didn't bodyline the ball at times and chopped the footy but was still arguable the best player on the ground. He is putting a gap on opponents when he runs back towards goal. Watch some of the replays and when the ball goes over his head and he turns to go he quickly gets to the fall and puts 5-10 metres on them. They will need to start putting body on him early.

Hunter- Another good leaders game, clever ball use and ball retention.

Martin- I was surprised how good he was at ground level in the circumstances. Looked underdone and his aerial game was off which is always the last thing to come back after an extended break.

Macrae- So tough, thought when they came back briefly he was the calmest and the hardest working.

Cordy- Reliable in the body on body contest and mopped up well. Frustrating still that he allows the ball to get over the back in aerial contests.

Schache- Should have kicked 3 or 4 at least. Pretty stoked for him, really difficult role to play the way he did on Aliir.

Libba- That kick to Treloar was incredible.

Vandermeer- I mentioned his front and centre work but I was impressed with his body work at ground level. He pushed his opponent off the ball 3 or 4 times, really strong over the ball. Got some of his repeat effort tackling back too.

Hannan- I must admit I didn't realise how powerful an athlete he was. Different player but there is a little bit of Stringer about him when he is picking it up cleanly.

Dale- Astonishing transformation, for someone who regularly pulled out of hard contests, fumbled under pressure and missed tackles to go back and be near flawless is absurd. He comes off his man with such great timing, never fumbles, has one of the best tackle shrugs in the game and kicks with deftness we haven't had since Ryan Griffen in his prime.

Daniel- Looks sore to me but still so important. Critical in the few periods where Port got some territory and momentum.

Wood- What a 3 weeks of footy, critical to our balance with his ability to play tall/small and also high/deep. Experience shinging through. Still a bit jittery with the ball at times but playing to his strengths.

Roarke- Just felt like his decision making was a bit off when he had the ball early but playing his role well.

Gardner- Predictable to his teammates, the best in the team at nullifying high balls and spoils them to the advantage of his teammates. Don't under estimate how critical this is.

JJ- Playing like a real leader at the moment, pointing, instructing, taking hits, sticking tackles, holding his ground front and centre.

English- Thought his ground level work was as strong and clean as he has had this year. Does he get tired too quick? Not for the first time he slowly starts getting pushed off the ball and isn't as strong in the contest. Something to watch but critical early.