https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...4774e78388bef7

AFL: Former Western Bulldogs midfielder Patrick Lipinski relishes greater opportunity at Collingwood
Patrick Lipinski struggled for opportunities at the Western Bulldogs but is proving his worth at new club Collingwood.

Collingwood’s bargain midfield recruit Patrick Lipinski is thriving on having a “clear role” after being shunted onto a wing and starved of senior opportunities at his former club.

Lipinski’s decision to depart the Western Bulldogs for the Magpies last year could hardly be going better, with his new team 2-0 and him winning 54 disposals across the opening fortnight.

“It’s great fun and I’ve got a pretty clear role on what I need to do in there,” he told News Corp.

“We played super well again and it was pretty hot out there but we got it done. It’s the perfect start for us, so hopefully we can keep it rolling.”

Lipinski was a player in demand last year as his AFL chances dwindled at the Bulldogs, where he was stuck behind the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley and Bailey Smith.

The 23-year-old averaged more than 35 touches a week at second-tier level in 2021 but his senior games came mostly as a wingman, which didn’t suit his strengths.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge’s feedback, Lipinski said, subsequently centred on his “open-field” performance, including tackling and leg speed.

“He was a bit obsessed with that,” Lipinski said.

“Then there was obviously a great midfield in front of me that I wasn’t able to play in and that’s probably my best position, so it was a pretty easy choice to come and play midfield here.

“It just didn’t work out for me (at the Bulldogs).”

Lipinski’s strong start to his black and white career hasn’t surprised him or Collingwood, but he made a point of saying he was intent on improving rather than trying to prove anyone wrong.

“I’ve always believed in myself, even when things weren’t going well,” he said.

“I still worked as hard as I do when it’s going well, but it’s only two games, so I have to keep it up.

“But it’s been great to have that belief from ‘Fly’ (Craig McRae), because that allows me to play my best, and I get to play to my strengths, so it’s awesome.”