Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
While O'Driscoll certainly has the speed we will wait on how that plays out in game smarts as well.

I am very concerned for Artie Jones as he seems to lack the footy nous to go with the athletic attributes. I see more likely to make a contribution in a defensive role. His best VFL efforts where when he went to half back. I would seriously be aiming at the lock down small defender because he does have the athleticism for that role.

Charlie Clarke showed some forward smarts as the year progressed and is the one I think might be the crumbing forward we seek.
Agree on both points. Though I think Artie does have good footy nous just lacked confidence with his size difference in attack. Probably a little confused at times also. His vfl game against Willie when switched to defence halfway through third quarter was very exciting to watch and I believe could play that role at AFL level. Will need to improve his 1on 1contest though.
On Clarke he seems our most natural forward. Kicked some great goals in the second half of the season, what stood out more was kicking inside 50m and his ability to create goals for others. His tackling also got better as the year got on. One tackle that stood out was the final against box hill chased 3 players down as they transitioned the ball and caused the turn over resulting in a Sam Darcy goal. Bevo was delighted with it, I was at the bench when Bevo come down to chat to Clarke as he come to the bench. So I also have high hopes for Clarke. Though him getting super fit is the key. It?s the toughest position on the ground.