Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
VDM’s improvement is as important as anyone next season imo. Outside of Naughton his the only player that chases with intent in the forward half. He has defensive attributes that our other forwards do not (and we need if we role if we role with the 3 tall forwards).

Also thought he was reasonable as a lockdown defender considering he came back from a significant injury and was learning a new role at afl level.

He’d be my first choice lockdown defender if we played him that end and my second choice small forward. And it’s line ball first forward as I think Weightman still plays a selfish brand and isn’t great defensively.
Geez,

This could not be possibly further from the mark - when forward Cody dwarfs VDM for tackles, tackles inside 50, pressure acts ie all the defensive statistics. Not the mention the probably 100 odd more goals he?s kicked too.

How is Cody a selfish footballer? That is ridiculously harsh - what because he flies for marks? You do realise this has always been a massive part of his game and is a reason as to why he?s so good? Yes he needs to learn when to go and when to stay down, which he will - hes what 22yo? It?s not that simple of a thing to tell a marking target who?s spent their whole life being told to fly for everything they can get their hands to, to put that intent aside. It will come. It definitely doesn?t make him selfish.

There?s not a single person in the AFL world who would take VDM over Cody lol, one is one of the more highly rated young forwards in the league who will be a consistent 40 goal a year forward and one is a completely flawed ?athlete? Ho won?t be on a list within 2 years