Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 50 Games - at last - Tom Williams

Come on guys he hasn't got a footy brain. If you think he is going to as good as Brian you are kidding. If he wasnt 6"5 and 100kgs he wouldnt ghet a run at Spotswood.He's a Rugby RING IN like Mulligan. Get these boys back over the border.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella7 View Post
    Have to agree. The guy has been given an armchair ride to reach 50 games. Is he Rockets love child? Thats as good as it gets with Tom. Trade him back to QLD.
    A bit harsh there BigFella. Yes it's taken Tom some time to come on but from his progression this season he has now cemented his place. He was a project player when recruited and we are seeing dividends now that his body is holding up and he has had some decent game time into him. He has become valuable not only as a foil for Lake but as a decent option to take the opposition's second tall forward and helps to take some heat off Dale.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys he hasn't got a footy brain. If you think he is going to as good as Brian you are kidding. If he wasnt 6"5 and 100kgs he wouldnt ghet a run at Spotswood.He's a Rugby RING IN like Mulligan. Get these boys back over the border.
    Still didn't answer my question. If you think he should be traded because he's a spud, what would you realistically expect for him?
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    A bit harsh there BigFella. Yes it's taken Tom some time to come on but from his progression this season he has now cemented his place. He was a project player when recruited and we are seeing dividends now that his body is holding up and he has had some decent game time into him. He has become valuable not only as a foil for Lake but as a decent option to take the opposition's second tall forward and helps to take some heat off Dale.
    And he also allows us to send Lake forward.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought the first rule of Woof was you weren't allowed to slag off our players without backing it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Still didn't answer my question. If you think he should be traded because he's a spud, what would you realistically expect for him?
    Not much
    Last edited by GVGjr; 13-08-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Post Thanks / Like

No one is suggesting that Tommy will be as good as Lakey, we are just saying that Lake was NOWHERE NEAR as good as he was at his 50 game mark of his career compared to his last few seasons.

Given Tommy's shortcomings, lack of football smarts etc etc, i reckon he's done pretty damn good considering he is playing such a vital role in the side, having to try & shut down one of the oppositions tall forwards week in week out, releasing Lake at times to play a more attacking role down back & stints up forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I always thought the first rule of Woof was you weren't allowed to slag off our players without backing it up.
    Im not slagging him OFF i'm just saying it as i see it. So if i look back through all your posts i wont find you "Slagging him off"?

Post Thanks / Like

Im not slagging him OFF i'm just saying it as i see it. So if i look back through all your posts i wont find you "Slagging him off"?
    "he hasn't got a footy brain"
    "If he wasnt 6"5 and 100kgs he wouldnt ghet a run at Spotswood"

If you're going to have a crack at one of our boys back it up.

Why do you think he hasn't got a footy brain? What examples can you offer where it has hurt us? If we trade him for "not much" (if you're getting "not much" for him, why would you bother trading - SS) who plays CHB when Morris is outsized? Lake and Morris are both approaching 30, who do you propose takes over on the big forwards when they are gone?

I would suggest when it come to a footy brain, Tom would have you covered.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't find me slagging him off. After what you said about Cordy you seem to have little appreciation for guys that have had to battle through a number of injuries.

In a time when Williams should have been learning more about the game he was almost permanently in rehab and I admire his persistence in becoming a regular and reaching 50 games. He could obviously improve and has some faults but I think he is a great guy to have on the list.

I'd rather a guy on the list like Williams that has worked hard than guys with a lot of talent who take the short cuts.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You won't find me slagging him off. After what you said about Cordy you seem to have little appreciation for guys that have had to battle through a number of injuries.

In a time when Williams should have been learning more about the game he was almost permanently in rehab and I admire his persistence in becoming a regular and reaching 50 games. He could obviously improve and has some faults but I think he is a great guy to have on the list.

I'd rather a guy on the list like Williams that has worked hard than guys with a lot of talent who take the short cuts.
    Well said again GVGjr, I personally have been happy with the way Tommy has been developing considering he started behind the eight ball with a lack of junior football as well as all the set backs he's had injury wise.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I second that motion GVGjr - IMO he still has a lot to learn (and I'm more than happy that he continues to learn with Bulldogs), but you can't question his dedication to keep playing and his persistence to get through all the rehab he has been through.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually thought he's been pretty good this year. Not a standout, but in our best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here is the deal.

The backline is a mini team, the best backlines function when you have the same core unit of players each with thier own roles and responsibilities.

Its critical inside this mini team that several things are achieved.
    1. Regular squad, its the same guys in this team, they will know how each other plays, know what to read off each other and know how to move for each other, our team does this VERY well.
    2. you need negative focussed players, you cannot have all attacking backmen, you need different types of players that can perform very negative roles, and other players whose sole job is to run with someone or to ensure in a contested marking situation nobody takes a mark.
    3. you must have players who can perform multiple roles for coverage and different opposing team match ups.

So where does Tom Williams fit into all this?
    1. Tick, they guy is a regular part of th team, and for those with blinkers on you will also notice him growing more into this aspect, he has even added some inside 50's into his game.
    2. Tick, this is what he is folks. he is a negative player, the guy is NOT a play maker, he isnt Matthew Scarlett or Harry Taylor, he has been conditioned and trained to be a negative role player, i.e sit on someone's head and ensure they do not get the ball.
    3. Tick, again he has elite endurance and closing speed, anyone who has seen his training results and physical test attributes knows this guy is fast and will run a lot longer than most given his size.

Next couple of points, when has he ever been totally beaten? i mean really carved up? the answer is he hasn't, and the reason he hasn't is because the whole backline works together, he will swap with Morris or lake in roles at times, and allow us flexibility in getting these guys free.

so finally let me put this to you.

Would lake be as great a player as he is without the benefit of the guys around him? they certainly help him be the player he is, and Tom Williams is part of that.

So id suggest that until the next miracle CHB appears on our list that everyone put their I hate Tom Williams t-shirts back in the bottom draw.

That is my .02 worth of Peoples Republic of West Footscray Roubles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    OK, here is the deal.

The backline is a mini team, the best backlines function when you have the same core unit of players each with thier own roles and responsibilities.

Its critical inside this mini team that several things are achieved.
    1. Regular squad, its the same guys in this team, they will know how each other plays, know what to read off each other and know how to move for each other, our team does this VERY well.
    2. you need negative focussed players, you cannot have all attacking backmen, you need different types of players that can perform very negative roles, and other players whose sole job is to run with someone or to ensure in a contested marking situation nobody takes a mark.
    3. you must have players who can perform multiple roles for coverage and different opposing team match ups.

So where does Tom Williams fit into all this?
    1. Tick, they guy is a regular part of th team, and for those with blinkers on you will also notice him growing more into this aspect, he has even added some inside 50's into his game.
    2. Tick, this is what he is folks. he is a negative player, the guy is NOT a play maker, he isnt Matthew Scarlett or Harry Taylor, he has been conditioned and trained to be a negative role player, i.e sit on someone's head and ensure they do not get the ball.
    3. Tick, again he has elite endurance and closing speed, anyone who has seen his training results and physical test attributes knows this guy is fast and will run a lot longer than most given his size.

Next couple of points, when has he ever been totally beaten? i mean really carved up? the answer is he hasn't, and the reason he hasn't is because the whole backline works together, he will swap with Morris or lake in roles at times, and allow us flexibility in getting these guys free.

so finally let me put this to you.

Would lake be as great a player as he is without the benefit of the guys around him? they certainly help him be the player he is, and Tom Williams is part of that.

So id suggest that until the next miracle CHB appears on our list that everyone put their I hate Tom Williams t-shirts back in the bottom draw.

That is my .02 worth of Peoples Republic of West Footscray Roubles.
    I believe Buddy tore him a new one a few years ago. Lucky for him Franklin kicked 1.10 or something silly.