Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 - What we need to win a Premiership

Andrew Krakouer is available again, he just won the sandover medal 27yrs old, just the sought of player we are looking for.surely worth a look.
    and what about Brad Miller from Melbourne (delisted) another tall strong target up forward?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_dogs View Post
    and what about Brad Miller from Melbourne (delisted) another tall strong target up forward?
    Can we draft his wife?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Krakouer is available again, he just won the sandover medal 27yrs old, just the sought of player we are looking for.surely worth a look.
    I think you'll find Andrew Krakouer will be taken by Gold Coast as they have first crack at players who have previously been on a list. From there they are likely to trade him to WCE for a pick.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Miller. Looks like he should be the total package, but he isn't.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Could a new club change that? Don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller doesn't fit our needs at all. A big, strong key forward who would just take games away from Jones and a spot on the list from a young player who could potentially be better than average. Getting Pia Miller however would be an outstanding trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Collingwood had 7 players in last weeks PF that have played under 50 games, that's quite a lot. I would think besides Blair most of these would be atleast 2nd year players.

It would be interesting to know how many of these played in the finals last year when they were off the pace. In my mind it was quite a few and perhaps throwing these guys too the wolves last year has fast tracked their development.

Hopefully we see a rise in performance from the likes of Grant, Wood and Hooper as they have seen what's required to play 'finals footy'. For the same reason it would have been great to give Jones and Roughy a game, but I guess Roughy's shoulder problems meant it wasn't feasible.
    It is not just about improvements in players per se, it is also about improvement in game plan and the ability of players to adhere to it. Presti is a better fullback than N Brown, but it doesn't matter as long as the back six all follow team rules. Medhurst is probably the best one on one forward the pies have, but Beams and Sidebottom fit the team plan better.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, would trading Lake, Hargrave and Wood for Dawson, Blake and Ray improve our back six? The majority of WOOF posters are looking for the magic ingredient, I hope Eade and co are looking for the perfect recipe for the ingredients they already have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    I don't know about Miller. Looks like he should be the total package, but he isn't.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Could a new club change that? Don't know.
    Do you know if he has ever played in defence?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think there will be a readymade kpp backman available (other than Tarrant) so we may have to look at recycled players.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the OP asks the wrong question.

IMO the recruitment of Hall has obscured our decline from last year, and Gia, Gilbee, Hargrave, Murphy and Hahn will not get any better and mostly decline, possibly the same for Hall and Hudson. Harbrow is gone, and we could lose another very good player to GWS next year too.

I'd be asking what we need to do in 2011 to maximise a shot at a flag in 2012 or 2013. And unfortunately, a coach in his last year of his contract may not be best suited to this task.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we need to trade for a key back desperately with Lake, Williams, Everitt, Hargrave available?

I think we should look at drafting one for depth, but not trading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I hope Eade and co are looking for the perfect recipe for the ingredients they already have.
    This is a really, really good point.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

One of the last people I want on our list.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Do you know if he has ever played in defence?
    Nah not sure. I only ever remember him playing forward. And being underwhelming for the most part. I think he had a huge game against Brisbane a few years back, but never went on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    Nah not sure. I only ever remember him playing forward. And being underwhelming for the most part. I think he had a huge game against Brisbane a few years back, but never went on with it.
    Fair eough, just pondering whether he could be a viable option as a mature back up defender while we try to develop one of Mulligan/Boumann/Tiller (my feeling is we'll delist Tiller and Boumann). He's got the physical attributes, not sure about the talent/concentration.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think we have a playing list problem. I think our list has a good balance of youth and experience. BUT compared to Collingwood, St kilda and Geelong, we play a very hapharzard style.

We either lack a system, or the players are not drilled well enough to play whatever system they're supposed to be playing. It begins with the way we get bogged in at our kick-ins from a conceded behind, to the way there is a lack of organisation at stoppages, to the way we bring the ball out of defense and break down at half forward because of a lack of forward options or just hopeful kicking to no-one in particular.

The delivery in to the forward line has been MUCH worse since Hall's arrival. We've gone from precision passing to very damaging small forwards that made us the top scoring team in the AFL with multiple goal kickers, to skying hopeful kicks, where we score less per match with far fewer goal scorers. This Hall or nothing approach needs to end, and we need to pass to Hall and the other forwards like we used to when Hall wasn't there- Hall ought to be just one option, not the only option.