Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs v Roos in Ballarat

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm not convinced Ward has the defensive capabilities to play in defence. Ward hunts the ball and is good at that - but doesn't really appear to me to be the type capable of a shut down role.
    Yep, it's a good point. He was torched by Enright in particular last year when he went ball chasing instead of staying in his back pocket.

Perhaps Picken is a better option.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Picken has spent time as a proper defnder this pre-season at leats against Brisbane. Could be a good option.

Could someone like Moles be viable? I know when we drafted him we described him as someone who can play on either flank or on a wing, he does have decent footskills and isn't undersized/slow. Could be an option until Howard demands a spot.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Griff has been average in the pre-season too, can we really take that as gospel when evaluating form? I'd want to see him in premiership matches before potting him. He wasn't on the chopping block towards the end of last year.
    Gilbee hasn't performed since 2009, and should have been dropped numerous times last year. Certainly on woof - Gilbee was on the chopping block.

Eade talked about taking 'no credit points' into this season. Gilbee has none on the back of last year, and his pre-season has been horrible. He really shouldn't play IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Well Picken has spent time as a proper defnder this pre-season at leats against Brisbane. Could be a good option.

Could someone like Moles be viable? I know when we drafted him we described him as someone who can play on either flank or on a wing, he does have decent footskills and isn't undersized/slow. Could be an option until Howard demands a spot.
    Interesting choice and he's one that could perhaps work. Moles handles the ball cleanly and is quick - definitely the type of player who could thrive off the half back. However, given we haven't seen him play there - it's tough to guess. I'd like to see it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    At his peak he played on opposition resting ruckmen, killed them on the rebound and on average conceded only 1 goal a game.
    He was a very good footballer, and the hope is this year he will maintain enough form to be a serviceable one.
    Yes he was a very good footballer. I don't think I said otherwise. I just said he wasn't as effective in the midfield or up forward (even in his good years) basically agreeing with your views in response to suggestions that we move him. Having said that though, Smithy had a similar history and style to Gilbee and had a reasonable finish to his career up forward so you never say never.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    picken lake morris
    murphy williams wood
    cross boyd ward
    gia jones higgins
    grant hall vez/zeph

hudson cooney griffen

Sherman libba/DJ minson/roughead (sub) Hill

If Gilbee drops off the back half doesn't look any worst for this. Picken, murp, williams and wood provide plenty of run. Although the kicking may not be as precise.
    This may let Libba/DJ in for picken's midfield spot?
    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Not comfortable moving Picken away from what he does so well, that is, shutting down and getting under the skin of our opponents elite outside running players eg Delidio, Didak, Harvey etc.

As for Moles off half back, I would be concerned with turnovers as his decision making under pressure can hurt us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    As for Moles off half back, I would be concerned with turnovers as his decision making under pressure can hurt us.
    I'm not sure it's that much worse than Wood's, Harbrow's or Hargrave's decision making coming out of defence. I just think that he could potentially play that position, and I'm not sure he's ahead of enough other players to be able to play in the midfield or forwardline every week.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Not comfortable moving Picken away from what he does so well, that is, shutting down and getting under the skin of our opponents elite outside running players eg Delidio, Didak, Harvey etc.
    Didak & Harvey both spend more time forward than in the midfield.

Who would be his likely match-up for Essendon? Probably Jetta who also plays forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Didak & Harvey both spend more time forward than in the midfield.

Who would be his likely match-up for Essendon? Probably Jetta who also plays forward.
    Possibly Winderlich, maybe Stanton. From what I've seen this year Jetta is still staying largely inside the arc as a more traditional small roaming forward.

Didak and Harvey I see as mid forwards where Picken plays a run with shutdown role. Didak and Harvey do tremendous damage from outside 50 with their creativity and Picken does a great job at mitigating this with his pressure. Maybe Harvey's role will change as he gets older and with the development of their kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HKB View Post
    Smithy had a similar history and style to Gilbee and had a reasonable finish to his career up forward so you never say never.
    Bubba did spend alot of time in the middle early in his career and won our goalkicking award before the twilight in his career. They did play a similar style as HBFers though.

We do have a bit of a conundrum, as if we replace Gilbee with a pure defensive type we will rob ourselves of drive. One of Murphy/Wood needs to have a big year and I have doubts abotu Murphy's durability and Wood being developed enough to do so.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

When Lake doesn't play - Morris has to play tall....and everyone else is shuffled up the line leaving us short on a small defender. So although Picko won't spend much time purely in defence for the year - it will be necessary for him to be a small defender in round 1 if Lake doesn't come up.