Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rocket on Footy Classified

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Off topic - but good grief there are too many panel shows now. Way too many. I remember when it was Talking Footy on Monday night and The Footy Show on Thursday (back when that was worth watching) and that was it.
    Couldn't agree more . Some are just a waste of space,I mean I've seen the Richmond footage passing through the Magpie press about 4 times. Personally I Liked the light hearted shows such as Before the bounce(haven't seen it since it moved).
    AFL 360 is enjoyable but we're getting overkill.
    Thomas doesn't like Eade,they had a stoush over a floodfest bore back in 02.Blaming each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The problem with having so many of them is that if they aren't bigger, better and more sensational than the rest no-one pays them any attention so we end up with 30 different shows all trying to out-sensationalise each other.
    You just described Jounalism in Australia...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    You just described Jounalism in Australia...
    Absolutely.

The segment last night was disrespectful, not only for the questions asked which were pedestrian at best, but more for the time they allocated a senior coach who is giving up his time to be put under the pump in front of a panel that has a mandate to be "cutting" and "controversial". Eade, for all of his troubles got 12 minutes on Footy Classified. He got the same amount of time on SEN yesterday as well. That's not enough for senior coaches, they're at the top of the tree in terms of being accountable stakeholders within the industry.

The media has a real problem with the way the clubs respond to requests for air time with coaches and players. However, when they have a guest like Eade on a show such as Footy Classified they present with out of date lines of questioning and an agenda that is clearly designed to breed headlines rather than analysis.

There is a lot of football to discuss on a weekly basis, but I find that there is an over representation of high profile commentators that have dual roles in print media and television. The result is television programs riddled with self serving lines of questioning, that are devised to produce a platform for what will be discussed in print the following day.

I can't watch or read a lot of it these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Seven's delayed coverage has to be by far the most dislikeabe trait of any footy channel.
    Particularly Friday night games. You have to impose a 'communications' ban on yourself if you want to watch the game; no checking phone messages, logging onto Facebook or Twitter or even checking the quarterly Supercoach score updates.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Particularly Friday night games. You have to impose a 'communications' ban on yourself if you want to watch the game; no checking phone messages, logging onto Facebook or Twitter or even checking the quarterly Supercoach score updates.
    It doesn't worry me too much about the Friday night delayed, but what I don't like is having to sit through the whole half time and quarter times when really they can skip moist of it and then get closer to the live time. We don''t need the full 15 minutes of half time as then it ends up the telecast finishes way too late, especially for kids.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It doesn't worry me too much about the Friday night delayed, but what I don't like is having to sit through the whole half time and quarter times when really they can skip moist of it and then get closer to the live time. We don''t need the full 15 minutes of half time as then it ends up the telecast finishes way too late, especially for kids.
    Agree! Why on earth do they feel the need to give us the whole half time break... especially when most of it is taken up with ads... oh, I think I just answered my own question...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pretty sure they actually go to 20 minutes on Ch 7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Agree! Why on earth do they feel the need to give us the whole half time break... especially when most of it is taken up with ads... oh, I think I just answered my own question...
    I bet if they had their way they'd double the breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    It's just my opinion but I think Eade is downplaying expectations and I believe it is at least partially due to the very harsh expectations placed on him from all facets of our club for this season.

It seems like the majority of our fans are with Smorgo in believing anything less than a GF is a failure. I think that's a very simplistic attitude. Whilst I believe we must have high expectations, I feel that a lot of it comes from a negative/cynical place due to the club's history of failure.
    I think kudos to the Pres for stepping up and airing those expectations.
    Too long we've been satisfied with good efforts in the finals.
    If he can at least change that mentality of expectation, surely that's a positive.

Compare him to Jeff Kennett who on face value appears a buffoon on most footy issues has still managed to lead a winning culture that created a flag when very few expected it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand the song and dance about Smorgon aspiring for a GF and flag!Collingwood did the same thing last year and McGuire got bagged.