Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Port Adelaide - 2012

Thought it might be an interesting exercise to do threads on some of the other sides leading into 2012. If anyone would like to contribute a thread on a team of their choosing, please do so as I won't be able to do many.

Port are an interesting proposition heading into 2012. They were terrible last year, but went down the path way of giving games to a lot of younger players - a move that I think will pay dividends.

Their young talent is strong, including Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Jacobs, Moore, O'Shea, Pittard and Butcher and have picked up Wingard this year. Others such as Broadbent and Banner have been around for a while now and should be looking at becoming consistent contributors this year.

They picked up McCarthy through the PSD and he should add some more hardness and depth to their midfield rotations.

Their defence still looks to be a weakness, although Trengove is an improving key defender who has impressed me, and Carlisle is a capable defender, although hasn't perhaps kicked on as much as it looked like he may a few years ago. They have plenty of good run and carry types coming through who can play off the half back line.

Their midfield is a combination of older statesmen in Cornes, Cassisi and Rodan - along with more senior types Salopek and Pearce who have struggled with consistently performing. Again, their young stocks look good and Boak is already a very good player, with Gray and Hartlett also capable of reaching similar heights.

The ruck stocks are a little thin, but between Renouf, Lobbe and Redden (who I think is a player) they have a good young brigade who should continue to improve.

Up forward they are again short of goal kickers. Butcher played a few good games last year, but his kicking still needs a lot of work - he's a very exciting prospect though. Schulz will play a role, and Ebert, Westhoff and D. Stewart will also spend time up forwards. New recruit Wingard may also spend a bit of time in the forward line, but it really lacks depth and polish.

Overall, I think Port will do better than most are predicting, however they aren't going to be a finals contender. If their young players kick on, important players don't get injured and the older blokes don't drop off they should be a competitive outfit.

It will be interesting to see how the significant changes in the coaching box change their game day performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Port Adelaide - 2012

They have to improve to be honest. Good write up Griffen 16, but I'm not sold on McCarthy.
    The midfield relies heavily on Rodan's grunt work and looks a little thin.
    The key posts are promising but they're just very inconsistent.I feel very sorry for Primus with his severely under resourced footy dept, but he'll be under pressure if they don't show improvement . They were just uncompetitive in some games and that's trouble for a coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about PortAdelaide is like having an in-depth discussion about general insurance.........

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see them troubling anyone to be honest.

Can I see them out of the top 4? Not really. They aren't going to do a West Coast circa-2010 to 2011 turnaround.

Young players will improve but to me their list doesn't say "Upcoming young stars"

14th-16th again for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post

Can I see them out of the top 4? Not really. They aren't going to do a West Coast circa-2010 to 2011 turnaround.

Young players will improve but to me their list doesn't say "Upcoming young stars"

IMO they will be challenging GWS and Gold Coast for the spoon.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Without wanting to take the thread off topic, GWS should win the spoon easily this year and Gold Coast shouldn't be put into the same category as them.

From a Port Adelaide point of view it was mentioned in the media last year that from a draft perspective they had as many 1st rounders as any club but clearly their problems off field has meant they haven't been able to put the funding or development into the youngsters required to see them prosper at the appropriate rate. A few more lean years ahead at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post

Not only that, but I don't think they have the coach to make the most out of a list as young as theirs. Unfortunately given their financial strife they wouldn't be able to do any better than Primus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Not only that, but I don't think they have the coach to make the most out of a list as young as theirs. Unfortunately given their financial strife they wouldn't be able to do any better than Primus.
    They could get their Football Manager to coach them. On second thought, you're right. He is no better than Primus.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Primus must be coated by Teflon, as the media hardly has mentioned his performances. I'm not at all convinced he can coach. They have ramped up the assistants this year, so another crud season and Primus will go, surely.