Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs vs North - NAB Cup (Rd1)

Not one of his better games, conditions did not suit him, made a few uncharacteristic mistakes, good that we didn't rely on him to win us the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I would have liked to have seen better efforts from some of the younger guys like Everitt, Callan and Tiller. I suppose it was a good learning experience for them to play in difficult conditions
    I was very pleased with Tillers performance, if you'd told me after last year that he would play in a NAB cup game in the backline and look the part I would have been surprised.

Everitt did not play enormous ground time, and Callan will be better for having got that one under his belt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teds Robot View Post
    Positives
    Hudson-actually tapped the ball to our players unlike Street
    Cross-his ball getting ability is amazing
    West-Same old Westy
    Cooney-Looked stronger
    Gfiff-Trade mark dashes are back
    Lake-Solid as ever
    Morris-See Lake
    Hahn-3 tackles in one piece of play never gives up
    Murphy-Moved freely
    Aker-Poise

Negatives
    Kicking for goal
    Still allowing opposition to get back into game, when seemingly on top
    Wasted forward opportunities, lack of system
    Still a lot of work to be done, but signs look promising
    I agree with most of this but I didnt rate Cross's efforts that highly. He really seemed to struggle with his kicking and spotting up a man.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Stack play?

Post Thanks / Like

Stack played but was largely unnoticeable for mine...to be honest, probably not the greatest conditions for a player with his skill set to best demonstrate his wares.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you can take a great deal from the game given the conditions but it is pleasing to see us out work a side. I dont think we worked harder than the opposition once in our last 9 games last season with or without the ball so it is pleasing to see us really get our hands dirty and perhaps even relish that style of play. A few things that caught mny eye were

Crossy- As he started last year in that role coming off the wing at the centre bounces. I like him in this role as it strengthens us up around the periphery of the pack and also allows him to use his gut running as an extra link man. He also used his reading of the play and aerial ability to drop back a kick behind play.

Eagleton- Played as a genuine centremen which is probably a rarity for him. Seemed to enjoy it and found alot of space in the corridor. Not sure if they are looking to use him like that this year or if it just panned out that way but certainly was interesting.

Wight- Scooter may have found a role for him here. I think he made the call after we were pumped by West Coast that Wight could play as a hard working forward. Lets be honest he did not set the world on fire but if it was a dry night he would have had 9-11 marks pushing up to the wing and thats all we want from him. It gives us more versatility with Murphy IMO. Wight has a very solid attack on the footy and an immense fitness base so if he can polish up with a bit of poise it is well worth the experiment.

Cooney- Not really a great deal of difference. Was very good in close and at the back of the pack. Still need to see him get outside for some cheap kicks more often. We cant have him just relying on getting clearances, front and squares and hard ball gets. He needs to break away into space more often. Will continue to harp on this until he changes it. Very good player at the moment but the next step requires him to run almost just for the sake of running.

Welsh- Didn't think we used him that well. Bombed the ball on his head all night and then didn't push him up the ground very often.

Murphy- Got his agility and spring back. Big things coming from him this season.

Hahn-Looked short of a gallop. Need slightly more when the real stuff starts.

Hudson- Big positive IMO. Won very few clear hitouts but his second efforts and ground level work was absolutely outstanding. We knew thats why we got him across and straight away you can see the difference it makes at the stoppages.

Everitt- Agree with MJP. Looked flat and disinterested.

Gilbee- Sensational.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Cooney- Not really a great deal of difference. Was very good in close and at the back of the pack. Still need to see him get outside for some cheap kicks more often. We cant have him just relying on getting clearances, front and squares and hard ball gets. He needs to break away into space more often. Will continue to harp on this until he changes it. Very good player at the moment but the next step requires him to run almost just for the sake of running.
    Disagree with this one, at least on the basis of the game last week. Cooney had a fair few handball receives and this was as a result of running and working hard all over the ground. If anything, he probably needed to find a few more hardballs rather than waiting for a handball out of the congested pack. Nevertheless he performed well - I thought he found himself in space a few times, and generally worked hard all night.

The probably with Cooney is his work rate; it's not always where it should be, and often when it's not he looks disinterested or lethargic in his approach to the game - particularly defensively. He seems to jog around without running hard to create space like you said, or apply defensive pressure. He improved on this last year a bit with tackling etc. but if he's going to become an elite midfielder, that's what needs to improve. His game on Friday night was a great way to start though, he found himself in the right places and that came by working hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Disagree with this one, at least on the basis of the game last week. Cooney had a fair few handball receives and this was as a result of running and working hard all over the ground. If anything, he probably needed to find a few more hardballs rather than waiting for a handball out of the congested pack. Nevertheless he performed well - I thought he found himself in space a few times, and generally worked hard all night.

The probably with Cooney is his work rate; it's not always where it should be, and often when it's not he looks disinterested or lethargic in his approach to the game - particularly defensively. He seems to jog around without running hard to create space like you said, or apply defensive pressure. He improved on this last year a bit with tackling etc. but if he's going to become an elite midfielder, that's what needs to improve. His game on Friday night was a great way to start though, he found himself in the right places and that came by working hard.
    Yeah well I count handball recieves out the back of congestion as winning the ball in tight. He has no problem doing that its the ability or will to sprint into space that is lacking. He gets a large percentage of his touches within 5-10 metres of the pack and he needs to be more that that.

Never had a problem with his defensive application. Consistently high in the tackle count from year to year despite playing as a forward for half the season. Accountability is a slight issue but his actual will to apply pressure when the ball is in his area has been fantastic from day one. Looks lethargic but the actual numbers stack up very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney got his own ball but also got allot of hb recieves so I'm happy. Seems to have no real weaknesses apart from shaking a tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally watched the game for the first time last night, my observations were:

- Tackling - Much improved, huge positive.

- Cooney - increased work-rate, looked great.

- Harbrow - big fan of this kid, clean hands, doesn't panic, good pressure skills, for me a certain member of our best 22.

- Griffen - great dash, forgot how much we missed him.

- Johnson - ground kicking was well below average, for me he plays as a permenant forward.

- Murphy - agility was far improved from what we saw last year, good signs.

- Ray - Huge shame, looked in great nick. Skills were great too.

- Forward entries - still not alot of purpose, big bombs. Need to get the ball into the hands of our better kickers when going inside 50. I suppose conditions didn't help.

Was very pleased with the efforts of the team first and foremost. Pressure skills and the willing to do the 'team things' was much improved. If that's the benchmark for what we can expect this year, well I can cop that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Cooney got his own ball but also got allot of hb recieves so I'm happy. Seems to have no real weaknesses apart from shaking a tag.
    I am still a little concerned about Cooney's disposal of the ball. Sometimes he tends to just bomb it long and hope for the best. He really needs to hurt the opposition and improve this side of his game.