Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nab Cup round 3 Doggies vs North

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Agree, would have filled a role for us. Will be interesting to watch his progress this year.
    Maybe its why we took Dickson, evasive, strong just needs to get the tank up.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies if this has already been covered but what did everyone think of Skinner's game? I'm trying not to get too excited about a praccie match, but it seemed as if he was starting to lead to the right direction and loved how he put the knee into the back of Thomson's head (highlight of day for me - despite him not taking the grab).

He really seemed to grow with confidence during the game and getting more into the game for a longer period of time which has been a criticism in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elephant_man View Post
    Apologies if this has already been covered but what did everyone think of Skinner's game? I'm trying not to get too excited about a praccie match, but it seemed as if he was starting to lead to the right direction and loved how he put the knee into the back of Thomson's head (highlight of day for me - despite him not taking the grab).

He really seemed to grow with confidence during the game and getting more into the game for a longer period of time which has been a criticism in the past.
    I hope Barry sends him a boquet for that one

He has a bit of the Josh Hills about him when it comes to contesting the ball - I figure thats just the way they play up there with shitty hard grounds and light bodies etc...

I know everyone says "its my way of the highway" but reality is, the guy is different and hes going to be required to be handled differently to maximise his strengths and reduce his weaknesses.

Steps one and two for him are footy education and defensive workrate in no particular order. If he can get on top of those aspects of his game...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I hope Barry sends him a boquet for that one

He has a bit of the Josh Hills about him when it comes to contesting the ball - I figure thats just the way they play up there with shitty hard grounds and light bodies etc...

I know everyone says "its my way of the highway" but reality is, the guy is different and hes going to be required to be handled differently to maximise his strengths and reduce his weaknesses.

Steps one and two for him are footy education and defensive workrate in no particular order. If he can get on top of those aspects of his game...
    I actually thought his defensive workrate was ok (but then again I only watched on tv). I noticed a few times he did do some unrewarded chasing when opposition defenders had the ball. Again hard to pick up on screen but have always thought his chasing and tackling was ok? His contested marking is much better than Hill's and doesn't seem to get pushed around in the contest as much - although the real test will be when we play proper games.

Contested ball on the ground he definitely needs to work on, but he's not alone in our forward line there. He's definitely a different proposition to 99% of AFL footballers and note that he admits he was unlikely to come back to Melbourne at start of year, but maybe a bit of confidence and another year in a big city might give him some mojo. He looked like he was having fun out there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I think his defensive work rate is fine, moreso he lacks the engine to make repeat effort after effort over the course of a full match. Miles in the legs is the top priority for Zeph, and the improvement will surely follow, as he will have confidence in his body to be able to stay in the contest for longer periods of matches and impact more often with his undoubted x factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought his defensive workrate was ok (but then again I only watched on tv). I noticed a few times he did do some unrewarded chasing when opposition defenders had the ball. Again hard to pick up on screen but have always thought his chasing and tackling was ok? His contested marking is much better than Hill's and doesn't seem to get pushed around in the contest as much - although the real test will be when we play proper games.
    I saw on atleast 2 occasions Skinner was down on the last line of defence attempting to fist a long ball North had kicked in through for a point.

This wasn't off a set shot either, or a break in play. It was in general play.

Was great to see!

Post Thanks / Like

Contested ball on the ground he definitely needs to work on, but he's not alone in our forward line there. He's definitely a different proposition to 99% of AFL footballers and note that he admits he was unlikely to come back to Melbourne at start of year, but maybe a bit of confidence and another year in a big city might give him some mojo. He looked like he was having fun out there...
    The question with guys who like to leap over the top of the pack and take a screamer is if you maintain body contact and stop their leap - can they still impact the contest or do they effectively become a spectator when grounded?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think his defensive work rate is fine, moreso he lacks the engine to make repeat effort after effort over the course of a full match. Miles in the legs is the top priority for Zeph, and the improvement will surely follow, as he will have confidence in his body to be able to stay in the contest for longer periods of matches and impact more often with his undoubted x factor.
    I was standing with my dad at the end nearest the entrance to the ground. Was surprised to see him in the half back position more than once, having chased an opponent that far down the ground. His legs are like twigs too!.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Skinner's defensive pressure has always been his biggest strength.

As Sedat says, he needs to continue building a bigger tank so that he can cover more ground for longer, and offer repeated efforts one after the other.

He's a really diferent player to Hill IMO and potentially a hell of a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

He's going to pluck an absolute screamer any day now. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself on the way down.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was more impressed with him propping in front of a pack and marking it than I will ever be with him jumping on someone's head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I was more impressed with him propping in front of a pack and marking it than I will ever be with him jumping on someone's head.
    This.

He's really been able to add a LOT more to his game over pre-season. During quite a few of the sessions I attended, the coaching staff and players were constantly giving Zeph advice and you can tell that it's paying off.

It would be a great achievement if Zeph secured a spot for round one. If he plays well v Geelong, it'd be hard not to include him.