Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crows Recruiter quits

Mifsud will tell his side tonight on Marngrook
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hey Remi, are you of the opinion Rendell's a racist though? Or ignorant?
    I just think he was ignorant and silly.
    Rendell from a distance and seeing his carry on calling out numbers and names at the draft comes across as a bit quirky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure why you are defending Rendell. Doesn't matter who leaked it, or why AD or Adelaide did what they did. At the end of the day, we cannot tolerate racist remarks in our society.

I have not seen Rendell come out and say, I did not make a racist remark, I am completely innocent, and I will fight this to the end to prove I am innocent of doing anything wrong.
    It should certainly be a consideration in the discussion. If Mifsud was so appalled by the comments why did it take so long to be raised with Trigg via AD?
    Just remember it was AD getting Mifsud alone after the meeting to seek further clarity on a comment that he shared that got the ball rolling. If Mifsud was doing his job correctly then he should have been on the phone the same day raising this with the appropriate people within the AFL. I can't believe that Mifsud has come out of this with his own reputation intact.
    He is there to represent the Indigenous cause for the AFL and yet failed to report a serious incident in a timely manner. Did he let friendship get in the way of reporting the incident or was he really not that offended by it?

I think Rendell made a stupid comment but he has also paid a huge price for it. I don't believe that an isolated comment makes him a racist.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It should certainly be a consideration in the discussion. If Mifsud was so appalled by the comments why did it take so long to be raised with Trigg via AD?
    Just remember it was AD getting Mifsud alone after the meeting to seek further clarity on a comment that he shared that got the ball rolling. If Mifsud was doing his job correctly then he should have been on the phone the same day raising this with the appropriate people within the AFL. I can't believe that Mifsud has come out of this with his own reputation intact.
    He is there to represent the Indigenous cause for the AFL and yet failed to report a serious incident in a timely manner. Did he let friendship get in the way of reporting the incident or was he really not that offended by it?

I think Rendell made a stupid comment but he has also paid a huge price for it. I don't believe that an isolated comment makes him a racist.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly haven't said he is a racist. All I am saying is society no longer tolerates comments that are racist, even if its in jest or otherwise.

Mifsud said on Marngrook, he was not happy about the conversation and what was being said. Thats good enough for me to believe him and the actions taken were correct. Rendell lost his job because he wouldn't apologise and retract his statements and paid a heavy price.

From Herald Sun full article here

Mifsud, who chose an indigenous football show on ABC TV to break his silence, said it was more than one Rendell comment that offended him during their talks early this year.

"I was uncomfortable with the meeting for a host of reasons,'' he said.
    Last edited by bornadog; 22-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    FYI, quoting a whole post just to add 'Like' and 'This' doesn't add a lot to the discussion

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, quoting a whole post just to add 'Like' and 'This' doesn't add a lot to the discussion
    It adds four letters! ( Ok point taken )

Glenn Archer says in the NT press ( interesting to get the perspective from up north )

"I disagree with what was said, even though I'd like to think he didn't mean it and it was a horrible joke," Archer said.

I think a lot of things you are saying GVG are covered in this article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226303531509

Either Mifsud, his direct bosses in the AFL's middle management or Demetriou waited 60 days to deal with an issue that is to have zero tolerance.

Someone has not done their job at AFL House. Who? Why?

A job has certainly been done on Rendell.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly haven't said he is a racist. All I am saying is society no longer tolerates comments that are racist, even if its in jest or otherwise.

Mifsud said on Marngrook, he was not happy about the conversation and what was being said. Thats good enough for me to believe him and the actions taken were correct. Rendell lost his job because he wouldn't apologise and retract his statements and paid a heavy price.
    You haven't called him that but you are laboring the point that he made a racial comment that shouldn't be tolerated. I don't think anyone has disagreed with you but Rendell paid a far bigger price than many others which you haven't acknowledged.

Seeing Mifsud apparently wasn't happy with the conversation did he explain why he let the Indigenous cause down by taking so long to report it? Did he offer an apology because he should have?
    Lets face it, he only came good once AD pulled him aside and asked the right questions.

This is the reason why I don't see this issue as clear cut as others because if AD was so adamant that those sorts of comments aren't acceptable now or in 10 years time what does it say about a person employed specifically to promote the AFL and the Indigenous players within the system and yet needed to be prompted and prodded by the boss before the facts were shared?

Perhaps more than one person should have lost their job.

Post Thanks / Like

You haven't called him that but you are laboring the point that he made a racial comment that shouldn't be tolerated. I don't think anyone has disagreed with you but Rendell paid a far bigger price than many others which you haven't acknowledged.

Seeing Mifsud apparently wasn't happy with the conversation did he explain why he let the Indigenous cause down by taking so long to report it? Did he offer an apology because he should have?
    Lets face it, he only came good once AD pulled him aside and asked the right questions.

This is the reason why I don't see this issue as clear cut as others because if AD was so adamant that those sorts of comments aren't acceptable now or in 10 years time what does it say about a person employed specifically to promote the AFL and the Indigenous players within the system and yet needed to be prompted and prodded by the boss before the facts were shared?

Perhaps more than one person should have lost their job.
    Like.........OK

I think we're getting closer to the core of the issue aren't we? This issue has demonstrated a massive failing in process and management on the behalf of everyone involved.

The AFL has been slow to act on it, and in the process it has leaked the details of said issue (intentionally or unintentionally or not, it doesn't matter) and the outcome is a person with much respect within the industry being cut loose and ostracised.

The AFL, if they want to regain any credibility on this issue need to come clean and admit they have handled this issue in a sluggish and unprofessional manner, and demonstrate that they have put processes in place to ensure something like this does not rear its ugly head again.

You brush aside the media deals (which are a bit of a foregone conclusion in a world where cheap to make reality TV is the flavour of the month in one show towns like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth), and take into consideration the management of the Match Review Panel, The Rules of the Game Committee and now this - amongst other things - and it's very clear the AFL is a Mickey Mouse organsiation that doesn't know what it is supposed to stand for.

We deserve a lot better as members and supporters for something we have invested significant amounts of time, passion and money into. It's time for the AFL to stop taking the piss.

Post Thanks / Like

Is waiting 2 months to report a conversation you were "really unhappy about" really the appropriate / correct action?

I'm very uneasy on the whole thing. Mifsud released the conversation via the Age, AD claimed it is the first he heard of it and whoever said it would want to start looking for another job. Next day it is revealed it is Rendell (so up to this point Trigg knows nothing). Meeting is called, Rendell is sacked / forced to resign.

Now Trigg knows everything about the incident and doesn't want to embarrass Rendell any further yet keeps talking to the media about it. AD didn't have any hand in the sacking yet made the remarks above and Mifsud was deeply upset with the whole conversation so much so that he said nothing about it for 2 months.

Nothing has been done to address the problem and the Jurrah story has certainly taken a back seat for now. AFL job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how all this is playing out in the Aboriginal communities? Especially people who have dealt with this man.

It's pretty obvious Rendell has dealt with a great many people up there.
    Interesting how few and far between the indigenous voices are in the media.
    Andrew McCloud gave his two cents very early, when less facts were known. In the print media anyway, so few indig commentators and on mainstream TV, not a single indigenous person. Love mangrook but quite a few people I know have never heard of it, and while they punch far above their weight in the guests they get, the commentary and analysis is on a different level.

They are ALWAYS banging on about how vital the indigenous contribution is to the game. Dream-time at the G blah blah. Well surely they might find the time to add an Aboriginal voice to the mainstream TV commentary. One thing this whole mess has highlighted.

If Rendell had faced an Aboriginal commentator alongside Caroline Wilson and Gary Lyon, I think the whole tone would have been different. Western background folk sometimes get on their soap box in regard to minority culture, but by excluding aboriginal voices, there is an implicit expression of 'ownership' over it, while sometimes having have a poor understanding of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance we can have a 'like' button added like other forums have Gary?
    The curse is dead.