Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forward line 2012

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This.

I've never seen Cooney impact games as a forward.

It's been his ability to push forward from the midfield that enabled him to kick bags of goals up untl 2008/9.
    I don't remember the details but I do remember a few games early in his career where he played out of the goalsquare a bit and was quite a handful on the lead with his pace and game sense.

There was also another game maybe 5 or 6 years ago -- again I can't remember the details -- where I think he kicked 6 or so playing predominantly out of the goalsquare in the last quarter and a half when the opponent couldn't get the right match-up on him. He's quite big for a fast dude, and quite fast for a big dude.. a bit Johnno-esque.

ps. Having said all that, I said in another thread that I don't think he should play forward, but actually play the McLeod role off half-back.

Post Thanks / Like

This.

I've never seen Cooney impact games as a forward.

It's been his ability to push forward from the midfield that enabled him to kick bags of goals up untl 2008/9.
    In his Brownlow year we played the Swans at the SCG, we struggled in the first quarter, Cooney played most of the 2nd quarter out of the goal square and kicked 4 goals in a quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney anywhere on the ground will help our forward line.

Either running off half back, through the middle delivering quality balls to our forwards or actually being in the forward line.. He is a brownlow medalist and anywhere he plays will benefit the team! Hope to see everybody get a run in the forward line and lets see who works best where.
    Skinner is looking promising atm although it is only NAB cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    In his Brownlow year we played the Swans at the SCG, we struggled in the first quarter, Cooney played most of the 2nd quarter out of the goal square and kicked 4 goals in a quarter.
    I do rememebr that game, we kicked straight and Cooney booted 5 from memory. I thought he played at least 80% in the midfield though.

Post Thanks / Like

I do rememebr that game, we kicked straight and Cooney booted 5 from memory. I thought he played at least 80% in the midfield though.
    He did, it was only the 2nd quarter he played forward, but he kicked 4 in that quarter (it may have even been 5), so he had a pretty big impact.

Post Thanks / Like

I recall Cooney spending some time forward, particularly earlier in his career. He's got great hands, pace of the mark and a reasonable leap at the ball. He can kick too. I think he'll go alright, and really is not too dissimilar from Brad Johnson for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney shades Johnno by a good 3 inches, although Johnno was extremely strong for his size - I think in his time at the club only West had his measure for strength to weight ratio.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney has out rucked Dean Cox so I would think he has a pretty good leap on him. Thats 15cm in height different let alone the fact Cox prob has longer limbs aswell.. I can see cooney being very affective in the forward line just hope he keeps his body right for the season. If he plays 18 games this year and has a few spells through the middle during a game then I would be very impressed!

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney could be a forward gun. His football sense and his natural abilities have the X factor.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Cooney has out rucked Dean Cox so I would think he has a pretty good leap on him. Thats 15cm in height different let alone the fact Cox prob has longer limbs aswell.. I can see cooney being very affective in the forward line just hope he keeps his body right for the season. If he plays 18 games this year and has a few spells through the middle during a game then I would be very impressed!
    Yeah...once.. not sure it would be all the time
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    Cooney could be a forward gun. His football sense and his natural abilities have the X factor.
    Johnson, Smith, Brown each went forward and the least successful was Smith who still kicked over 40 goals in his season at FF. Of course it is important to note that none of them was carrying a chronic injury. If Cooney can stay on the field playing almost totally up forward he would also add 40 to 50 goals. The only real question is whether he would have a greater impact if we played him in the middle and gave someone else the gig up forward. Of course if the knee doesn't hold up, then he won't have much impact where ever he plays.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

It would seem as though that we have structured with only two forwards with midfielders and a ruckman rotating through , today we were able keep pace on the score board with West Coast for 2 1/2 quarters with the midfielders making an impact , now if you said that Liam Jones and Tory Dickson were our only forwards they scored 1 goal 4 , neither of the ruckman scored

Macca has overloaded with midfielders to rotate through zones , this meant we were able to compete with West Coast between the two 50 metre arcs but we just did,nt have the forward structure to hit leading targets , we had 54 inside 50's compared with the Eagles 61 but we just did,nt hit targets , the stats say we had 10 marks inside 50 compared to the Eagles 12 again they hit leading targets and we did,nt

I know Macca is committed to an overloaded midfield to rotate through zones and we saw today it does help us tighten up and restrict space to the opposition but I think its obvious we need a compromise when we structure the forward line