Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trick of the light, or just another Stevie J trick?

I once heard Donald Trump say that you should hate your competitors in business. And if you want to be successful, I agree. No matter how well written, insightful, nobel prize winning this article is I'd prefer it if Bob just hated this guy's guts and was determined to completely destroy him in their encounter. It would be a more fruitful attitude to winning the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm a little biased because I am good mates with Stevie J's sister and brother-in-law, but I reckon he is fantastic for the game. His vision and awareness are top drawer, and his courage and determination are extremely underrated - the amount of work he put in to be not only fit but be able to contribure significantly to the GF win last year, after badly hurting his knee in the PF, was amazing. And only Lenny Hayes has a better record of completely destroying us with monotunous regularity. I don't mind his cheeky little comments as well - let's face it, he backs them up.

I'd love to have such a player at our club.
    He was amazing in the last two weeks of 2011. Apart from a one or two year period post 2007 when he'd stage a lot and get looked after (alon with Ablett, mind) I've loved watching him play. Skills, smarts, athletic ability and freakish talent. If he could convert from set shots at the level required he'd be the most complete player in the game, for the position he plays. If he's a bit of a cheeky smartarse, then good on him as he can back it up. As long as he learns to pull his head in as he gets older and influences games less then I don't see an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    I once heard Donald Trump say that you should hate your competitors in business. And if you want to be successful, I agree. No matter how well written, insightful, nobel prize winning this article is I'd prefer it if Bob just hated this guy's guts and was determined to completely destroy him in their encounter. It would be a more fruitful attitude to winning the game.
    I think separation between what happens on the field and what happens off it is healthy in AFL. For some people hate works, for others it doesn't. Adversarial people like Trump get the most out of themselves when they're in a conflict that they bring to a personal level, guys like Bob don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a $3million account off a competitor
    I totally respect a couple of Fridays ago. He rang me on the Monday and asked if I'd slept well over the weekend. "like a baby" was my response. We had a chat about the how/why and he ruefully agreed he would have done the same thing. I loved pinching it off him and he hates the fact I've done it. Doesn't mean we can't have a mutual respect as he's really good at what he does and I like to feel likewise. I love the fact Murph is totally comfortable in his own skin that he can give us so much insight into a competitor he clearly admires. It says much about Murphs confidence (and rightly so) that he's able to write like this. Despite the man-love, if they play on each other again I'd be confident both these guys will be desperate to impose their respective wills and destroy each other on the field. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have a beer afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    I took a $3million account off a competitor
    I totally respect a couple of Fridays ago. He rang me on the Monday and asked if I'd slept well over the weekend. "like a baby" was my response. We had a chat about the how/why and he ruefully agreed he would have done the same thing. I loved pinching it off him and he hates the fact I've done it. Doesn't mean we can't have a mutual respect as he's really good at what he does and I like to feel likewise. I love the fact Murph is totally comfortable in his own skin that he can give us so much insight into a competitor he clearly admires. It says much about Murphs confidence (and rightly so) that he's able to write like this. Despite the man-love, if they play on each other again I'd be confident both these guys will be desperate to impose their respective wills and destroy each other on the field. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have a beer afterwards.
    Agree with this.

I can't believe one can go around living with hate and still remain healthy -- I don't think Mr. Trump represents a healthy ideal to live up to in any way, shape or form.

Being willing to hate while maintaining ridiculous amounts of greed to keep screwing people over despite already having more money than God is a recipe for disaster, as is amply demonstrated, I think, by the personal life stories of people like Trump et al. (it's not about the 'wealth' per se -- there are plenty of balanced billionaires -- it's their attitude towards what one needs to do to get it).

Ruthlessness and being a bitter, ultra-competitive arsehole are not the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the GWS players (Dylan Shiel, I think it was) tweeted that towards the end of their game on the weekend, he got a kick and Stevey J said to him 'I let you get that one because you're in my SuperCoach side'. It's just the way he works!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    One of the GWS players (Dylan Shiel, I think it was) tweeted that towards the end of their game on the weekend, he got a kick and Stevey J said to him 'I let you get that one because you're in my SuperCoach side'. It's just the way he works!
    That is hilarious. Hard not to like a larrakin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Love him or hate him as a player he's clearly got game in the banter arena.

Post Thanks / Like

Donald Trump is not a man I admire. I'd love his money, sure, but he's not somebody to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Agree with this.

I can't believe one can go around living with hate and still remain healthy -- I don't think Mr. Trump represents a healthy ideal to live up to in any way, shape or form.

Being willing to hate while maintaining ridiculous amounts of greed to keep screwing people over despite already having more money than God is a recipe for disaster, as is amply demonstrated, I think, by the personal life stories of people like Trump et al. (it's not about the 'wealth' per se -- there are plenty of balanced billionaires -- it's their attitude towards what one needs to do to get it).

Ruthlessness and being a bitter, ultra-competitive arsehole are not the same thing.
    Said exactly what I was thinking. There's nothing wrong with respecting your foe. In fact, it's the best way to be. Sorry to use what must be my 314th military reference, but look at the Turks: We invade their country in World War I and one of the most bitter campaigns of the war is fought out, where an estimated 87,000 Turkish soldiers lost their lives. About 11,500 ANZACs died. Yet both sides, after the battle, have held the utmost respect for the other.